Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DIY ENGINE OIL/TRANSMISSION OIL CHANGE

hi

Would like some help ,plan to start doing the oil changes and transmission oil changes on 08 malibu myself.

1. run engine on fake a lake for 5 minutes to warm up oil

2. have a 12v pump just wire it up and place tube into engine oil tube for dranning or straight into dipstick hole??

3. remover oil filter after placing a plastic bag around it to avoid mess and checking to see that old gasket is out as well,

4. new filter fill up half way with oil and place new gasket and screw back on hand tight

5.empty transmission oils ( 2 holes ski vee ) with pump and different tubes.

6. fill up to level and check without screwing cups all the way down( manuel says thats how to measure level on ski vee)

7. start engine on fake a lake again for 1-2 minutes ,let cool down abit and check all levels.

is this the correct procedure..as i am tired of paying 450 eur for this ...

hi

Would like some help ,plan to start doing the oil changes and transmission oil changes on 08 malibu myself.

1. run engine on fake a lake for 5 minutes to warm up oil

This may take more that 5 min, run the motor until the engine temp is up to normal

2. have a 12v pump just wire it up and place tube into engine oil tube for dranning or straight into dipstick hole??

I have never used a pump before, You should have an engine drain tube alread attached to a lifting ring on the motor that runs to the bottom of the oil pan. Use this if you can, it will get more of the oil out without the danger of getting a tube stuck inthe motor.

3. remover oil filter after placing a plastic bag around it to avoid mess and checking to see that old gasket is out as well,

Check for a new gasket as well. Also I use pet training pads in the bildge to catch what will get spilled when you take the filter off, you can get a pack of 25 at the pet store. This is in addition to using something to catch the oil in the filter.

4. new filter fill up half way with oil and place new gasket and screw back on hand tight

I usually dont add any oil to the filter, (just another chance to make a mess) I just add 5.5 qts when finished.

5.empty transmission oils ( 2 holes ski vee ) with pump and different tubes.

Measure the amout you take out to see how much to add back in, you wont get it all out.

6. fill up to level and check without screwing cups all the way down( manuel says thats how to measure level on ski vee)

7. start engine on fake a lake again for 1-2 minutes ,let cool down abit and check all levels.

Watch oil pressure guage during initial start to make sure the pressure comes up within a few seconds.

is this the correct procedure..as i am tired of paying 450 eur for this ...

$600 us :cry: Thats a lot of money.

Couple of other things

Make sure your fake a lake is tight to the bottom of the boat,

Put your hand on the raw water pump after start to make sure it is cool to the touch, if it is getting warm you are not pumping any water.

Check exhaust to make sure water is coming out.

Take your time and enjoy the oppertunity to work on your own boat, you will have it down to a quick proceedure in a few changes, the first ones will take a while though.

I am sure I have forgotten something, and I am sure some one will let me know who it is.

Edited by REW

quick question ,

I have never used a pump before, You should have an engine drain tube alread attached to a lifting ring on the motor that runs to the bottom of the oil pan. Use this if you can, it will get more of the oil out without the danger of getting a tube stuck inthe motor.

with the drain tube do i just run it outside the hull plug and let it empty into something and does it need to be left overnight to drain completely?

and for transmission whats the best way to drain them have the ski vee.

thks for all your help and time you put to reply!!!

Edited by malibu.c.c

MCC, use the drain tube and drop it through the bilge drain under the oil pan or out the rear bilge drain if you don't have the drain under the oil pan. I have a cheapo Harbor Freight hand vacuum pump that I use for the trans and Ski-V which I drain thru the fill hole for both. It work likes a champ and gets nearlly every drop from both, but I am OCD when it come to maintenance. When it comes time to refill the "dip stick" is your friend, as Jesus himself couldn't get all of the old oil out! The trans and Ski-V are really easy to over fill because the DEX/MERC is so thin. If your boat is older you might want to check the anodes in the SKI-V, 2 nuts L/R bottom outside forward edges of the drive. Over 50% errosion (3/4" I believe) and the book says to replace them.

thks, the ski v anodes that i have never changed since 2008 as machanic said no anodes except ones on cooling system..

now you see why i want to do service frm now on..,touch wood no problems with 180 hours ..

nothing will come out when i undo these ?? i am no machanic so sorry if it sounded stupid. so undo them and screw new ones in with anodes correct.

thanks for help and info!

Edited by malibu.c.c

MCC, no problem we all have to learn this stuff at some point. The SKI-V is part of the cooling system. On my last 2 V-drives (both Indmars/Walter Vdrive) the water came from the pick-up under the boat, went into and thru the V drive to cool it, proceeded to the water pump exited into/thru the trans cooler (where all the crap from the water collects) and then entered the block. Your boat may not have the annodes as my '06 didn't either. The annodes on my '10 are located as described in #4. If I pull my annodes out of the SKI-V the only thing that should come out of it is water and sand, this is also where to drain the water along with the p/u hoses to winterize the v-drive.