Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stock Mooring Cover on a Lift

Indyxc

Hello everyone,

Not a very complex question, but I am putting my boat in the water this weekend, and I've never actually used the stock mooring cover. It's going to be on a lift, which I don't have the canopy for yet.

I've seen pictures of mooring covers, but mine is the stock malibu style with the straps and plastic buckled along the length. It also has the 3 poles that go on the inside.

With the trailer I imagine you just connect the straps to the trailer. On the lift, that's not really going to be doable.

So my question is, if I just put it on, and tuck the straps into the boat, will the cover be tight enough not to pool water, and blow off in wind? Seems all the other mooring covers everyone has seem to be strapless.

Anyone have experience with this cover without connecting the straps?

Thanks

My cover has a draw string it pulls the sides tight. I also run the cord through the eyes at the back so the cover can not come off the back. So if it were to blow off it stays with the boat. It has never happened but never is waiting for it to happen. :biggrin:

I would not expect it to not puddle in a good rain.

Anyone have experience with this cover without connecting the straps?

FWIW, my boat lives on a covered lift at a marina. I use the stock cover (Great Lakes?) all season long. It comes well over the nose of the bow and cinches up snugly over the lower edge of the swim platform, so its not going anywhere, even in a heavy wind. It does need the three poles [and ski pylon up] to keep it taut. The only problem is that any water tends to be channeled from the center of the cover, at the two cabin poles, almost directly towards the tower base cut-outs. Not a problem for me, really, because there is a roof over my slip.

Also, I occasionally use two tie-down straps on either side to fasten the cover to the frame of my lift. Probably not necessary, but I do it anyway if I'm going to be away from the lake for any extended period of time.

i had issues with water pooling on my factory cover. now have an evolution cover and have not had issue. cover is also very simple to put on no poles to fumble with, and it has straps on the back that ensure it is going no where

material also seems to be alot more durable

You'll be fine. If you have the same type with the ratchets on the sides, I removed the straps and put them in the box, except one. It may take a couple of tries to adjust the poles so everything looks tight. Then, take one strap, make it really loose and wrap it around your lift somewhere that in case the wind does take the cover off, it stays with the lift. I've never had the cover come off, but have had it still pool on me when I didn't have it set up correctly. My cover was still new at the time and either held the water or a small amount seeped through onto the carpet. But no more than a wet person coming out of the lake would do.

The evolution covers sound great, but since I already had the stock cover before knowing about the choices, I didn't feel the added expense was necessary. (I tow about 10 miles per year, only on sunny days.)

MalibuNation

I would second the idea of using the straps and attaching them to the lift some how. I do it all the time with my Shorestation lift when I don't have my canopy on. Always seems like the day I put the lift in it's so windy I don't want to mess with the canopy.

Thanks for the posts guys, I'm thinking about purchasing a lift and last year had a new cover made for my boat...things to think through.

Appreciate the helpful comments.

I kept my boat on a rack in dry storage for years with a mooring cover that just had the drawstring around the edges and it never blew off. Once I worked out where to position the poles all was good -- it took a couple tries. I did secure the front of the cover to the bow loop with a line just to make sure if anything extraordinary happened the cover wouldn't get blown away.

Another option that kinda worked is to use a few of those suction cups to assist with holding the sides of the cover down by attaching to the strap loops. It was just an OK solution as more often than not they would let go at some point.

Thanks for the info guys- The cover does have a rope running around the rub rail so that should be okay for now in hold it. :)

I'll be getting the canopy for my lift shortly, but for now, it's only going to be the cover. I've put so much work into cleaning this new to me boat, I'm afraid to get the boat wet, even almost afraid to use it :)

My gf said, can we even touch the vinyl? I said sure! She then said, I can dance on the sunpad? I said... well would you dance on the new vinyl seats in your car? She said... good point. :)

As far as the waterproof ability of the stock malibu cover. I washed it at the laundry mat, and then sprayed a entire 32 oz bottle of 303 Fabric Guard water proofing spray on it. Will the boat stay dry under the cover, or should I expediate the canopy delivery?

Thanks

Peter

Edited by Indyxc

She then said, I can dance on the sunpad? I said... well would you dance on the new vinyl seats in your car? She said... good point. :)

Shame on you! Sunpads are for dancing on. It's how the word Sundance was created!

I wouldn't worry too much about it, wait 'till you have kids crawling all over. Vinyl is tough stuff.

We keep our boat at our dock in the water when we are at the house (in the garage when we're not) and I use the stock cover with the poles. It has the ratcheting draw string and works fine. I do get a little pooling but the cover doesn't seem to seep any through. I have an evolution cover also but I get pooling with it in the area between the motorbox and the rear trunk area (over the back seat). I've tried to adjust it but haven't had any success with stopping the pooling. The other thing I like better about the stock cover over the evolution for mooring is that the cover covers the transom remote for the stereo. I had to replace the original remote after a heavy rain with the evolution cover on the boat.

I've had my boat on a lift for 3 summers with just the stock cover (ratchet strap under the rub rail and 3 poles) and never had a problem. It has been in some pretty fierce storms, and the cover held on without issue.

No water gets through the Sunbrella material, though I had a problem with water getting in around the tower cutout. I just used a couple tarp clips (see pic below) tied together with a short bungee cord to hold the cover skirt tight around the tower. Haven't since had even a drop of water enter the boat while covered.

041072535014lg.jpg

One thing you can do is fill 4-6 milk bottles with water. Clip the straps to the ones for or aft of each other with the strap running thru the handle or the milk bottle. the weight of the bottles pulls the cover tight. This will hold and keep water from pooling even in heavy rain.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing you can do is fill 4-6 milk bottles with water. Clip the straps to the ones for or aft of each other with the strap running thru the handle or the milk bottle. the weight of the bottles pulls the cover tight. This will hold and keep water from pooling even in heavy rain.

Alright guys, finally got the boat on the boat lift! Picture below, still waiting to put on the canopy. It's a new to me boat, new lift, so lots of stuff still figuring out.

Excuse the non level-ness of the lift, as it is still settling.

Anyway, the cover fits fine around the boat as mentioned. Thanks guys! The problem I realized is there is a huge gap on between the inside of the tower and the cover. Rain will easily pool down there. I've got one pole in the front, one in the middle, and then the ski pilon raised.

Any tips for getting rid of the gap around the inside of the tower?

Thanks!

post-15086-001900500 1305943641_thumb.jp

Edited by Indyxc

Nice set up Indy! Have you had a chance to get the canopy up yet and level the lift?

I just put my boat on the lift yesterday. I will need to move the lift this week when the water levels recede but I wanted to at least get familiar with the operation of the lift and be sure I had the bunks set up right. Plus, the weather was so good I had to get out on the water.

Nice set up Indy! Have you had a chance to get the canopy up yet and level the lift?

I just put my boat on the lift yesterday. I will need to move the lift this week when the water levels recede but I wanted to at least get familiar with the operation of the lift and be sure I had the bunks set up right. Plus, the weather was so good I had to get out on the water.

No, not canopy yet. :( Picking it up tomorrow or tuesday. It is needed badly. Of course on the second night the boat is on the lift, it rained. I was able to fix the gap between the tower and the cover by moving the poles lower. This of course then allowed the water to pool on the cover and drip through. The cover does ok as long as the water beads and doesn't pool. It does have a ton of 303 fabric guard on it too. Of course it was soaked this morning.

The maiden wakeboard day was today! Was decent, except the tower is rattling, and there is a lot of water in the bilge i need to address.

So far so good though, boat ran great.

Good news Indy. You'll find the water source soon enough I imagine. I got out yesterday as well, but no skiing. We did a couple laps around the lake that that was it. My little girl is not yet fond of the new toy.

No, not canopy yet. :( Picking it up tomorrow or tuesday. It is needed badly. Of course on the second night the boat is on the lift, it rained. I was able to fix the gap between the tower and the cover by moving the poles lower. This of course then allowed the water to pool on the cover and drip through. The cover does ok as long as the water beads and doesn't pool. It does have a ton of 303 fabric guard on it too. Of course it was soaked this morning.

The maiden wakeboard day was today! Was decent, except the tower is rattling, and there is a lot of water in the bilge i need to address.

So far so good though, boat ran great.

If your cover is like mine, there is a skirt on it around the tower. I used a couple gator clips (see pic below) connected to the top corners of the skirt with a very small (6") bungee cord connected between them. This holds the skirt tight and up high on the tower so that when the water rolls down the cover, it goes around the tower and over the side instead of into the boat. This has worked great for me all last summer.

269-022_s.jpg

Ker-

Thanks for the tip. I actually did something simliar. The cover has a rope that goes all the way around the boat, and it connects around the tower. Then cover than had some velcro that flaps over, and attaches around the tower. It is only semi tight, and doesn't go up the base of the tower like some covers. I ended up attaching some large bungees to the bottom of the rope on each side of the boat under the tower. It pulled the cover closer to the tower legs and made it tight, but it still seems to be leaking.

I think the water is coming through on the sun pan. On the sun pan the cover touches the vinyl and that I think allows the moisture to get there. Should the cover not be touching the boat on the sunpad? Is it reasonable to expect the cover not to leak at all, even with 303 fabric guard? It just seems like the cover is leaking way too much to me.

Ker-

Thanks for the tip. I actually did something simliar. The cover has a rope that goes all the way around the boat, and it connects around the tower. Then cover than had some velcro that flaps over, and attaches around the tower. It is only semi tight, and doesn't go up the base of the tower like some covers. I ended up attaching some large bungees to the bottom of the rope on each side of the boat under the tower. It pulled the cover closer to the tower legs and made it tight, but it still seems to be leaking.

I think the water is coming through on the sun pan. On the sun pan the cover touches the vinyl and that I think allows the moisture to get there. Should the cover not be touching the boat on the sunpad? Is it reasonable to expect the cover not to leak at all, even with 303 fabric guard? It just seems like the cover is leaking way too much to me.

All I can provide is my own experience. My cover touches the sun pad and there is never any water on it. The cover does not let any water through (Sunbrella material), and I have never put any 303 or anything else on it.

All I can provide is my own experience. My cover touches the sun pad and there is never any water on it. The cover does not let any water through (Sunbrella material), and I have never put any 303 or anything else on it.

Hmmm... I just did some research and read that sunbrella is water resistant, not water proof. Fabric guard is what adds the waterproofing. I guess I need to rewater proof my cover in the sun next time, instead of my garage, because that didnt work. too well. It's leaking through somewhere a bit on the bow too, which shouldn't happen, because it's taught there with a pole.

All this hassle is worth it though, when you get to look in your backyard, and see this..

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/832/nocoverl.jpg/

I almost wish I was like the guy down in back there in the pic and just didn't care about my boat. Liquid force Air Natique 226 team edition, high canopy, but in the rain it still gets SOAKED.

Edited by Indyxc
  • 2 weeks later...