Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sheared off Alternator bolt

I noticed the bolt connecting my alternator to the engine was working itself out. When I went to tighten it, I realized it had actually sheared off. Fortunately it sheared right where the bolt threads into the engine so the Alternator is easy to remove. Can I continue to try to turn the remaining portion of the bolt clockwise, basically working it all the way through the connector or do I have to try to back it out? My first thought was that I could use a regular bit and try to drill it out and hope it happens to work itself through the backside of the threaded hole. If not I will have to find a reverse drill bit so I don’t accidentally tighten it even more when trying to extract it. This is on a 2005 Hammerhead but I assume it is identical to the Monsoons.

Try to get it out of there whichever way is easiest. Sounds like you could use an EZ out to back it out. You can get a new grade 8 bolt at the auto parts store.

Use an "Easy Out" bit specifically for this problem, you can find them at most any parts store. It looks like it has a tapered reverse threaded end on one end and the other end looks somewhat like a flat wood bit used for boring holes. Normally you would drill a hole in the broken bolt to be able to counter sink the bit and then use the threaded end of the bit to back it out. It has worked like a charm for me on the bolts I could get to.

It should go all the way through if there is enough room. Make sure nothing is behind the bracket that will inhibit the bolt from finishing its journey through.

I'd soak it with PB blaster overnight then go at it with a spring loaded center punch.

Do you know what I mean?

I'd soak it with PB blaster overnight then go at it with a spring loaded center punch.Do you know what I mean?

I broke a valve cover bolt on my 77 Blazer when I was 14. This is how my gramp showed me how to get it out! :rockon:

Guess it serves me right for using a 1/2 drive ratchet on a 6mm bolt. :lol:

I broke a valve cover bolt on my 77 Blazer when I was 14. This is how my gramp showed me how to get it out! :rockon:

Guess it serves me right for using a 1/2 drive ratchet on a 6mm bolt. :lol:

a 6mm bolt on a 77 Blazer??

That is one rare vehicle!

Make sure if you use the easy out you get your pilot hole centered as close as possible and dont start with the largest easy out size to allow room to try again without hitting the treads, if you have to.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I was able to extract it by drilling it out clockwize, all the way through with a normal drill bit.