Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 VLX Water Dripping from Drive Shaft

This is happening while the boat is in the water.

When i pull the seat off and look under the V-Drive/Trans where the drive shaft is coming up through the hull i see a fast drip of water from the Hull/Shaft interface, is this normal? It's not swamping the boat or anything.

could be an alignment issue? how does one check the drive shaft alignment?

Appreciate any help!

There is a large nut to adjust the packing (or seal). This should only drip very slow when the boat is underway. There are threads on here explaining how to adjust properly.

If you don't have the dripless seal or packing then you need to have a little drip on the shaft seal.

However it should be a slow drip (about 1 drop every 10 seconds) while the shaft is moving. To adjust you will need two wrenches, I use slip lock plyers or you can get some spanner wrenches from your favorite home imporvement store, hold the big one (outer) tighten the small one (inner). Do this with the motor off! Have some one you trust at the helm and take her for a quick drive to check the drip rate. If it is still too fast tighten a bit more if no drip or too slow loosten it a bit. I would not go more than a half a turn each time you make an adjustment, if you get it too tight all at once you can damage your shaft.

I'll try that thanks! i guess it was up to the dealer on the packing used?

this was the first time out for the season so maybe it was just dried up, but i'll give it a 1/4 turn and see if that helps because it's a fast drip, almost a small stream of water

I'll try that thanks! i guess it was up to the dealer on the packing used?

this was the first time out for the season so maybe it was just dried up, but i'll give it a 1/4 turn and see if that helps because it's a fast drip, almost a small stream of water

That is where mine was a couple of years ago I think 1/4 is all I needed as well.

Typically the flax packing does dry up in the winter. Consequently it will swell up when it gets wet, sometimes to the point that it leaks at the right rate, or not at all.

The OJ dripless packing is an option. And judging how many people here have it, one that doesn't get ordered very often.

Skidim.com has a "virtually dripless" packing, a direct replacement for the flax packing. It's made out of some synthetic material, by the same company that makes Goretex, and does not need to be lubricated or cooled nearly as much, so you can almost tighten it down to the point that it doesn't drip at all..... or at least a lot less. Getting the drip rate right is tough with the old flax packing.... and a LOT easier with this stuff.