Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

GEN 1 Illusion Tower Help

LouisburgBluesMan

Hey folks,

I have a 2003 VLX with the first generation of the Illusion tower. The chrome has pitted and I want to remove so I can strip it and powder coat or re-chrome. Not sure how to do that. I know four bolts that go through tabs on the tower, but even if they're out, you'd have to spread the arms I think. I have the tower off the boat, but can't seem to figure out how to remove once bolts are removed. Anyone done this before?

On Boat:

Gen1-Illusion-Tower.jpg

What I'm dealing with:

smalltower.jpg

Thanks!!

'Bone

Get in touch with the folks at Star One Wake / Menace Watersports. There must be someone left from the old days who can tell you how to dismantle that tower right. :rockon:

They might be workin these days though so they might pass your thread by.

FYI, guys at Star One said to simply spread them apart. Seems a little scary but I guess there's enough flex there.

Cheers!

'Bone

I have the exact same problem with my '03 VLX but possibly worse. My metal forks are "rotting" - so much so that they might be beyond repair. I would love an update on how the re-chroming or powder coating goes.

I'm also interested in how much that tower weighs. Can you give me a ballpark guess since you have it removed? I'm hoping to find a simple way to remove it for storage so that the boat fits in my garage at home. All the storage places near my house can't handle the height requirement so it is stored half an hour away.

Thanks

I'm also interested in how much that tower weighs. Can you give me a ballpark guess since you have it removed? I'm hoping to find a simple way to remove it for storage so that the boat fits in my garage at home. All the storage places near my house can't handle the height requirement so it is stored half an hour away.

Thanks

Pulled the tower off at end of last summer for exactly that reason. Planned on storing in my 3-car garage but ended up taking it to cave storage where it's 65 degrees year round.

The tower isn't as heavy as it is awkward. My 16 year old son and I can each lift a side and maneuver once removed. Removing from boat, however took 4 of us. One to unbolt, one in the boat to tilt forward and hold (strongest person here) then one on each side once the 4 retaining allen screws were removed. Walked it backwards off the stern. Really not that bad to do.

BTW... Star One does have the replacement forks only. I'm ordering a surf rack fork set from them.

Haven't stripped chrome yet... that's next week.