Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Send My Son Away?

LouisburgBluesMan

A friend of mine did a comprehensive review of a few of the Florida wakeboard camps. I trust this guy to give the straight scoop. You can see the articles at the bottom of the home page at dcwake.com. Even if you don't want to send your son off to Florida, the articles will help you to know what to look for and which questions to ask.

Hey folks, was planning on sending my 16 year old son off to wakeboard camp. As we're in the Kansas City area, the Denver camp looks to be the most promising. Has anyone heard of this school?

http://milehighwakeboarding.com/Camps/colorado-wakeboarding-camp-more-information.htm

Any comments would be great.

I did the wakeboard camp in Florida a few years ago. It was great! Teachers were excellent, food was good, and lot's of board time! I highly recommend it.

http://www.wakeboardcamp.com/

www.theboardingschool.com

Thats Shaun Murrays school in orlando, its pretty damn good. Both coaches are the editors for TransWorld Wake Magazine among being pros.

We sent our son to camp three different times. Those were some of the GOOD decisions we made as parents. The one and only down side of his experience was that when he got back from camp the first time, it became very quickly obvious that my 1983 MC Stars and Stripes Power Slot was toast. Yep that one little week not only cost me tuition and travel, but also a 23 LSV.

Hey folks, was planning on sending my 16 year old son off to wakeboard camp. As we're in the Kansas City area, the Denver camp looks to be the most promising. Has anyone heard of this school?

http://milehighwakeboarding.com/Camps/colorado-wakeboarding-camp-more-information.htm

Any comments would be great.

I would look into http://wakeboardingcamp.com/ in Fremont, Wi. Gordy is a great teacher.

We were in Fort Lauderdale spring break and did three sessions with Dean Levelle. Best thing we ever did for our wakeboarding. we have been out a couple of times now this season and basicly have to start over with our stance and handle position but feel like we have better base to improve from.

Yes that $100 first wakeboard we purchased for our old I/O has cost me upwords of 20 grand now. worth every cent

I haven't been to Mile High, I'm on the east coast, but I did inquire on their houseboat trips to Powell (easiest/cheapest way for a guy from the east coast to do a Powell trip). If Mile High is your top choice because they are local it is a good choice. I've heard a lot of great things about Steve Jones (the owner), including compliments from some of the top pros/instructors in the sport. Hopefully someone can chime in here and let you know more about Mile High. I know Steve is involved in the scene out there and has grown a successful business in a market where I wouldn't think it's possible.

If you don't want to send your son somewhere it might be worth checking to see if Gerry Nunn or Dave Briscoe are doing tours this summer. They usually tour the country doing instructional clinics.

As far as camps/schools in general. From my experience, the biggest thing to worry about is who will actually be in the boat coaching. Sometimes you pay top dollar for the top pro to be there and he's not even there. In other cases there are camps that hire young kids to work for free pulls and while those kids might be good riders, they aren't always good instructors. For me, I've been to a few places in Florida, but Darin Shapiro is the guy I keep going back to.

Thanks for all the insight, guys. Mile High continues to look great. It appears as if they do a great job training their instructors and it's not just an "easy summer job" to get. Haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, but after a call with them to make sure it sounds like a good fit, I will. I'll let you know after came (late June) how it went. If he's doing a 360 or roll, we'll call it money well spent. :clap:

Thanks again.

'Bone