Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 wakesetter VLX fuel issue

I am a first time boat owner and took my wakesetter VLX out for its maiden voyage yesterday, I bought it last December in houston and brought it back to MO, had it winterized, and just got it out for the first time, it had about a haf a tank in it from last year that had stabil put in it before it was stored, yesterday I topped off the tank and took it out. The first two hours went well, the boat ran fine, but then all of the sudden while my brother was in the middle of a session I started loosing power, like it was bogged down or something. It would idle fine, I could turn it off and it would fire right back up, and if I let it idle for a minute it would run well for a couple of minutes but then would get bogged down and loose all power again, it never died and would always idle fine, but the problem became more prevelent as the day went on, after 20 minutes of battling it I put it up. I am the farthest thing from a mechanic, but it sounds to me like fuel isn't getting to the motor, I thougt maybe old gas, but it ran fine the first couple of hours so that wouldn't make sense. A buddy of mine said something about the water fuel separator might be full of water and that may have caused the problem? I am going to put an additive in the fuel and fill up again, change the fuel filter, and empty the fuel water separator, and go from there. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Is there something I should be checking that I'm not? Are there any other suggestions of what the problem might be?

thanks

JD

Edited by joeydenney

Sounds like fuel filter to me. It is a good idea to change it anyway even if it is not causing this problem. Napa 3033 if it is the same as my 99.

Unless it is after market I don't think you have a fuel water separator.

yeah, the more I look, it doesn't seem mine would have a water fuel separator, are there any other filters that should be looked at or changed? I wonder if it was a filter why it would loose all power but then after it set for a few second would be fine for a few minutes. Has anyone ever experianced this?

thanks

jd

Definitely change the fuel filters -- especially the one near the fuel tank. It doesn't seem to be widely known there are two fuel filters. I would also drain the fuel tank and start with fresh gas. Your symptoms sound a lot like water in the gas and while there are some decent anti-water products on the market it may make troubleshooting easier if you have known new gas vs. just adding a chemical and guessing/hoping it worked.

Thanks this was a lot of help, what is the best way to drain the gas tank on this model of boat? I used to watch my grandpa suck through a hose until his mouth filled with fuel, then transfer the hose to a bucket.... but there has to be a better way??

Sounds like you've already received some good advice here. Where in Missouri are you? I just bought a 200 VLX from Texas last fall as well. We are loving it so far!

I'm in the KC area and if you're near, maybe I could give you a hand. I've learned a lot already changing all the filters, fluids, etc. on my boat. Any auto parts store should have a fluid extractor you could use on the fuel tank, although I'm not sure if that is the best way. Others may chime in with better options.

Pistol, do you happen to know what brand and model fuel filters to use. Both high and low pressure. Your videos are great. Very informative. Please inform me if you post any more videos on the 2000 vlx. Do you have an opinion on the best way to change the oil in the 2000 vlx? Thanks a lot.

Joey,

You have 2 fuel filters.

Watch this vid. and this vid. You'll learn a lot.

I would also look under the distributor cap for moisture.

Pete helped me with the part numbers earlier this year.

The low pressure filter is Wix 33033.

High pressure metal can is:

AC Delco GF652

Indmar S556003

Napa ProSelect 23481

Napa (gold) 3481

Fram G3727

I forget the Wix part number off hand, but that is what I ended up with for the high pressure can as well.

Edited by hethj7

Pistol, do you happen to know what brand and model fuel filters to use. Both high and low pressure. Your videos are great. Very informative. Please inform me if you post any more videos on the 2000 vlx. Do you have an opinion on the best way to change the oil in the 2000 vlx? Thanks a lot.

If you go to one of those vids. links, I think you have the ability to look at all my vids. that are in that photo bucket acct. There is only one more and it deals with the gas tank and removal of the floor panel to access the gas tank. As far as changing the oil, there are a ton of threads concerning this. Best way is to feed the oil drain hose out the center hull plug and let it drip over night. It will be very slow.

Pete helped me with the part numbers earlier this year.

The low pressure filter is Wix 33033.

High pressure metal can is:

AC Delco GF652

Indmar S556003

Napa ProSelect 23481

Napa (gold) 3481

Fram G3727

I forget the Wix part number off hand, but I that it what I ended up with for the high pressure can as well.

I don't happen to have a Wix part num. for the high pressure filter but, I'm sure any good auto parts store could cress reference one with all those other models.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I took the boat out again after changing the fuel filter, running sea foam and heat through the fuel, and changing all of the plugs for good measure. runs great at WOT for 10 or 15, and then bang, it happens again, I loose all power back down to idle. The longer I let it sit, the longer I can run without a problem, there is also a slight delay when we first fire the boat when we lean hard on the throttle but that usually only happens the first time. This is what I am thinking now, obviously the problem stems from temperature, my first though was that maybe the fuel pump was malfunctioning when it got hot, I think this is something I can change myself, but a friend just told me he knew a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy that had the same problem and it was attributed to his MAP sensor. Any thoughts? where is the MAP sensor located on a 2000 VLX?

Don't quote me.

Without looking at it or, having the book in front of me, I think this is it.

Can someone verify this for me? I got this pic. from some dude that was standing on a corner holding a sign.

map.jpg

That sure looks like a MAP sensor to me, IAC and TPS on the throttle body.

Pretty sure you can just unplug the MAP sensor and it goes to default values.

Personally I'd would take a peek at your cap and rotor and plug wires to eliminate all the usual tune up issues. I'd also think about just draining the gas out of the boat, filling up with fresh and burn the old stuff in the lawnmower.

-Chris

How hot is it? did you change both filters? do you have corn gas where you live? FWIW and I know I will get alot of blowback for saying this but from my experience, stabil and corngas (ethanol) = gummed up fuel filters and symptoms as described. I cannot avoid gas with ethanol here but have switched from stabil to seafoam and have experience far less problems. My situation is somewhat different because I have a MPI Merc that utilizes a high pressure filter with compression type fittings and a water separating filter. If I leave 1/2 tank of gas with stabil I will clog two $30.00 filters fast at the begining of the season. Anyway, if you can siphon the tank you might be surprised at what comes out. Once you rule out fuel filters and bad gas and if you are still having problems, try running with your blower on all the time cause you might be vapor locking.

• 4 years later...

I have been having the same issues since the beginning of summer...not sure if this problem ever got worked out. Did a full tune up ( cap, rotor, plugs, fuel filters)runs perfect, then loses power and drops down to idle. I'll wait 5-10 minutes and it's back to normal for 5 minutes. Very very frustrating. Any suggestions would be appreciated.