Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

replacing gas cap chain

I broke the chain for my gas cap and lost it in the lake last season. I bought a new one and would like to install it. I removed the the screws from the fiberglass and it pulls out a inch but that is all. I was not sure how to get this off I am not sure if I should remove the hose clamps that are comected to the plastic gas tank and then pull out the whole black gas hose. any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't had the problem myself, but have seen quite a few guys on this site go thru it over the last few years. I believe your right, your going to have to loosen the hose clamp, pull the fixture off the hose, and then attach a new chain from the underside of the filler. I suspect that it may be tough to get behind the filler to the hose clamp. But if you go for the clamp on the tank you may have problems with the tank leaking or having to pull a mile of hose out of the hull.

I lengthened the chain on mine..... hoping that it wouldn't break because their so short. Now I can put it up on the side of the boat rather than leave it dangling. Picked up the chain & the little gizmo to attach it to the old chain from Ace Hardware.

CIMG1967.jpg

Replaced my chain with wire last year after it broke. Wire isn't quite as nice as chain as it stiff, can kink and be a little awkward to get back into the filler neck each time you remove the cap. You will have to remove the clamps on the rubber fuel filler hose inside the boat to get the cap assembly to come completely out.

ya the new cap that I bought has wire instead of chain.

Replaced my chain with wire last year after it broke. Wire isn't quite as nice as chain as it stiff, can kink and be a little awkward to get back into the filler neck each time you remove the cap. You will have to remove the clamps on the rubber fuel filler hose inside the boat to get the cap assembly to come completely out.

Are these clamps the ones that connect to the gas tank they hold the black hose to the gas tank? If so is it hard to get that hose back on seems to be a bit tight to get to those clamps?

There are usually two clamps just on the other side of the fiberglass inside the boat that connect the metal fuel filler neck to the black hose leading down to the gas tank. Once you get them loose you will have to do some turning of the filler neck to pull it out of the hose. There is probably another set of clamps further down the black hose that connect it to the gas tank that you shouldn't have to mess with. It's pretty awkward to get to the clamps that hold the filler neck but they are the one you want to loosen to remove it.

Are these clamps the ones that connect to the gas tank they hold the black hose to the gas tank? If so is it hard to get that hose back on seems to be a bit tight to get to those clamps?

There are usually two clamps just on the other side of the fiberglass inside the boat that connect the metal fuel filler neck to the black hose leading down to the gas tank. Once you get them loose you will have to do some turning of the filler neck to pull it out of the hose. There is probably another set of clamps further down the black hose that connect it to the gas tank that you shouldn't have to mess with. It's pretty awkward to get to the clamps that hold the filler neck but they are the one you want to loosen to remove it.

This is exactly how I did mine (2002 Sunscape). Probably would have helped to have an extra pair of hands as the hose is very difficult to pull off and then push back onto the "neck". I too, don't like the feel of the wire, but I'm pretty confident that I won't lose a cap again!

I haven't had the problem myself, but have seen quite a few guys on this site go thru it over the last few years. I believe your right, your going to have to loosen the hose clamp, pull the fixture off the hose, and then attach a new chain from the underside of the filler. I suspect that it may be tough to get behind the filler to the hose clamp. But if you go for the clamp on the tank you may have problems with the tank leaking or having to pull a mile of hose out of the hull.

I lengthened the chain on mine..... hoping that it wouldn't break because their so short. Now I can put it up on the side of the boat rather than leave it dangling. Picked up the chain & the little gizmo to attach it to the old chain from Ace Hardware.

CIMG1967.jpg

DSC03019-1.jpg

I did the same chain lengthening. You don't have to leave the cap hanging this way and stress the existing chain.

Such a simple thing. I would hope that manufacturers would listen to us & make these simple changes to their products so people have less headaches.