Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How many skis did you try before buying yours?

Chef23

I was reading a thread on skifly about the number of people that don't try different skis before they buy. In my 30 years of skiing I have only had a serious opportunity to demo before I bought once. I bought my X5 after reading reviews and finding a good deal. I still don't know if it is going to be a good fit for me.

There are no decent ski shops near me that have demos (particularly in large sizes) and most of my buddies skis are smaller than I need (I know I need to lose weight). I would love to try a bunch of different skis and keep the one that is best for me but I can't see forking out the money on my card, shipping skis back and forth and taking most of the summer to find a ski that is a good fit.

What are your thoughts on this?

I'm in a similar situation... No place to get a demo. Also, it takes a good amount of time to dial in a ski for your personal style. My first ski was the KD7000 which turned out to be a pretty good ski for me. Then I researched a bit and settled upon the CDX-a great ski IMO.

Now I'm looking for the next CDX :). I'm hoping to learn some things about the new skis in the Spring clinic with Skisix.

I think that the majority of skiers don't have the access to try new skis. I haven't looked at the poll on Carbonfins but if it shows that most try before they buy I would want to see the demographics. I think high end tournament skiers get known and that opens up access, then there's the rest of us....

As more and more sales are made over the internet I think less and less demo's are going to be available. Additionally, as the prices goes up less skis are available for demo even at the dealers. They can't afford to have a 5 $1000 Monza's sitting around.

That being said, I wouldn't put down $1000 on a ski without having the abliity to return it.

Rip, I'm going to try to brig a few extra outlaws with me and you'll be amazed at the difference.

i think it would take more stamina than i have in order to compare a fist full of different sticks,

in similar water,

behind similar boats,

(while feeling about the same),

while none of the skis are dialed in to my style.

i end up trying most of the skis that come into the boat (over the course of a few seasons) and if i really like the way one of them acts i may just go ahead and buy one. i know i end up adjusting my style to fit the ski but regardless of the ski it is probably more competent than i am, why not take the cue from the stick?

Before the late 90's, I was able to demo everything before I bought it. The floating shop on Table Rock lake was awesome. It's now owned by the 'bu dealer (Ski Shack), let's hope they bring back the demo program.

Last ski I got to demo was Goode 9100 I bought in 98. After that, I've had a KD7000, a HO ASX, a HO Phantom, and a HO System 8 all purchased w/o a demo or return option.

Luckily when I am on vacation, there is a big gang of people who own a lot of different skis. Even though they are not good skiers, with all of the skis on the beach and thier big Marastar's next to each other in the water, they look good. They are more than willing to let you try thier skis. Usually they ask you to give it a try. So there is my shot at demo-ing. And next year there will be new ones to try.

I did the Goode "demo" program this past summer. I had a difficult time adjusting to the ski after skiing on the same Connelly for years. I spoke to Goode several times throughout the demo with questions/concerns. At the end of the 2 week demo I had not decided if I wanted to keep the ski. I spoke to Goode again and the extended they demo for another 2 weeks. This extra time really allowed me to fine tune the ski to my skiing and decide if I wanted spend that amount on a ski.

Edited by Slalom Frog
I didn't try any skiis before I purchased mine, now I do wish I had.

Ummm, wouldn't that require that you know how to ski?

:lol:

Sorry Justin, just don't want the left-coasters to be the only folks to give you a load of crap. Innocent.gif

Wait until next season, I'll make you eat those words!!! Biggrin.gif

I didn't try any skiis before I purchased mine, now I do wish I had.

Ummm, wouldn't that require that you know how to ski?

:lol:

Sorry Justin, just don't want the left-coasters to be the only folks to give you a load of crap. Innocent.gif

We want video!

Isn't that what you said last season? Biggrin.gif And the season before. Crazy.gif

Tease.gif

And you better be careful with your claims...Tracie is gonna be at the clinic with a video camera. :lol: Your "skiing" could end up on the World-Wide-Web. Whistling.gif

• 2 months later...

My Phantom Truth I bought from a ski buddy who changes skiis every year. Had never skied it but had been set up by Schnitz and knew enough to buy the blank from him for $150...love the Phantom. Just bought a System 8 from my Malibu dealer without ever skiing it and looking forward to giving it a go this spring. If I don't like it....ski-it-again or Ebay. Anybody ski the Phantom and System8 care to compare and contrast? I figured it would be a little less demanding than my Phantom and easier in non-glass conditions.

Edited by DNA'er
My Phantom Truth I bought from a ski buddy who changes skiis every year. Had never skied it but had been set up by Schnitz and knew enough to buy the blank from him for $150...love the Phantom. Just bought a System 8 from my Malibu dealer without ever skiing it and looking forward to giving it a go this spring. If I don't like it....ski-it-again or Ebay. Anybody ski the Phantom and System8 care to compare and contrast? I figured it would be a little less demanding than my Phantom and easier in non-glass conditions.

can't help with the compare, but i have to say, you're the first person i've heard who liked the truth version of the phantom...

can't help with the compare, but i have to say, you're the first person i've heard who liked the truth version of the phantom...

I think you either love it or hate it.....no in between. It is a very quick ski that is not overly tolerant of poor timing. If you ski by coordinates(I do), it is as precise as a surgeons blade. As GT said, if improperly setup, you might as well be skiing on a 2X4. Boot placement and fin adjustment are critical. In glass conditions, it is my weapon of choice....well I'm only at 28' off so I think weapon is a stretch

BTW It is the Phantom version of the Truth not the Truth version of the Phantom.

Edited by DNA'er