Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Blunder - son of a .......

I can not believe what I just did.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Installing a fire extinguisher below the throttle and the screw went through. Guess it's time to learn gel coat repair!!

I am so mad at myself right now. What a colossal dumb &*#(%> thing to do.

post-14915-034622500 1304896204_thumb.jp

I can not believe what I just did.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Installing a fire extinguisher below the throttle and the screw went through. Guess it's time to learn gel coat repair!!

I am so mad at myself right now. What a colossal dumb &*#(%> thing to do.

:cry: That sucks. At least it is white gel coat. No color match involved.

Edited by woody

This will make you feel better. A buddy of mine did the same thing except he was drilling a hole AND he had his hand flat against the other side. He had to put the drill in reverse to get the drill bit out of his hand.

ouch that completely sucks,I couldnt imagine how frustrated i would be.Iam sure we've all done something stupid we would like to forget :whistle:

easy recovery on that on that "screw-up". If I go a month without a $100 lesson I get paranoid as I know one is coming. This was a minor fail... any stories of a good epic fail.

I can not believe what I just did.... :cry:

I can't believe you admitted to doing it. :lol:

At least it is white gel coat. No color match involved.

You'd think...there are actually a lot of shades of white. An exact match is tougher than you might think.

This was a minor fail... any stories of a good epic fail.

:no: Nope. :no: Nuh-uh. :no: Never. :no:

:innocent: . . . . . . . . . . :whistle:

Man, I feel your pain. I've been there a million times...shoulda, coulda, woulda right? :cry:

:plus1:

Post up repair pics while you are doing it, I am considering a little gel work in the future.

Easy fix.

Years ago I sold a '78 Glastron 156 to a buddy that proceeded to put a new floor in it, and new carpet too. Went to launch it and couldn't get it off the trailer.....

.......wait for it......

......screwed it to the trailer bunks. Classic.

Easy fix.

Years ago I sold a '78 Glastron 156 to a buddy that proceeded to put a new floor in it, and new carpet too. Went to launch it and couldn't get it off the trailer.....

.......wait for it......

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Did the exact same thing I was so proud of how the extinguisher looked until I got out of the boat. My father in law some 25 years later still never lets me get anything done with a screw driver without a comment. Mine was also 2 days old and a beautiful teal (the dealer had a good laugh but matched the color perfectly).

Easy fix.

.......wait for it......

Awesome... Now THAT is Epic Fail... but a great one none the less. Posted it well to boot. Thanks for the laugh.

Classic.....

I was thinkin that I could one up SkySkier's buddies' blunder, but I don't know about Michigan Boarders.... thats so funny.

A buddy of mine (who IS a member here) decided he was going to install a depth guage in his new boat (thank gawd it was only a Mastercraft). MC has a foil liner in their bilge to protect the fiberglass from any oil or gas. So your supposed to take a holesaw the same diameter of the depth guage puck (about 3" in diameter), remove the drill bit in the center, and LIGHTLY score the foil liner. Then just remove the foil inside the circle, which is where you install the puck. Well he LIGHTLY scored it alright..... then pulled the drill back & couldn't figure out why he was seeing carpet inside the hole. Then he looked inside the holesaw where he found about a 1/2" of fiberglass.

Yep, he was lookin at the trailer bunks thru a 3" hole in the boat!!! :rockon::crazy::rofl::yahoo:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Patch paste kit is on its way from Spectrum Color. Time to learn something new...gel coat repair :rockon:

Thanks for the vent. I cracked up on the one about screwing the boat to the bunks. I'm just imagining the look on his face as he realized what happened.....ouch.

Patch paste kit is on its way from Spectrum Color. Time to learn something new...gel coat repair :rockon:

Thanks for the vent. I cracked up on the one about screwing the boat to the bunks. I'm just imagining the look on his face as he realized what happened.....ouch.

It was a debacle. He's a great guy, great mechanic, just not a boat guy. He was dating a girl who had 3 kids. He bought the boat to have fun with her and the kids, and then proceeded to screw it to the trailer (and the hull was cherry, never beached:cry: ). While fixing that mess, he got married to her. 2 months later they were separated. He launched the boat and never checked the lower unit for fluid. Cooked it. Parked it in the weeds. 2 years later found a deal on a lower unit and installed & sold it.

I am sure he will never, ever, own a boat again.

Good luck on the repair, it's easier than you probably think.