Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do I own a Wakestter?

Fitz33

Hey crew, I'm a little confused. I just bought what I was told was a 2002 wakesetter LSV. It has the MLS, wedge , and wakesetter graphics. Today I noticed on the plate on the drivers side it says under model, Escape. Huh? The hull number's 4th letter is "S". What do I own?

2002 Broshure. Your taxing my brain here.

:biggrin:

I can't remember which came first. The Escape, The Sunkicker or The Sunscape. You can read the 2002 brochure at the link above. It will give you more info than I can recall about those series boats. I think the Sunscape and Escape were V-Drives and the SunKicker was a Direct Drive BICBW. 23 WSLSV = 23' Wakesetter LSV (Luxury Sport V) IIRC. I'm thinking the Wakesetter package was a Tower, Graphics and ballast.

Why worry about it? The hulls were the same between the sunscape/escape/wakesetter pre-2004, and if you have ballast a tower and a wedge, I'm OK with you callin' it a wakesetterWink.gif

I have the same boat. I am no expert, but if it has factory MLS and the graphics it is a wake setter. They probably did not have plates for inside the boat. I don't think they had the wake hull yet but still had wake setters.

Scott

I have the same boat. I am no expert, but if it has factory MLS and the graphics it is a wake setter. They probably did not have plates for inside the boat. I don't think they had the wake hull yet but still had wake setters.

Scott

What model is on your plate? They didn't even make a Escape model in 02

Its all about the coast guard cert, they didn't change the hulls so Malibu didn't pay to have it certificated by the CG under a different name. So your plate may not reflect the name on the side of the boat.

-Chris

The WS package is just a ballast, graphics & tower bundle. It's not like it was a model or a hull though.

I have a "Wakesetter package" on a Vride....... we call it the Fakesetter. :crazy:

Why worry about it? The hulls were the same between the sunscape/escape/wakesetter pre-2004, and if you have ballast a tower and a wedge, I'm OK with you callin' it a wakesetterWink.gif

The WS package is just a ballast, graphics & tower bundle. It's not like it was a model or a hull though.

It seems like I"ve seen several posts lately stating the Wakesetter package was just the tower, ballast, and wedge in the early 2000's or that Wakesetter and Sunscape hulls were the same. I don't believe this is true. The Wakesetter had the wake hull. The Sunscape came on the Diamond hull. You may have been able to order a Wakesetter with a diamond hull and Sunscape with a wake hull (I'm not sure on on this), but everything I've seen indicates the Wakesetter was more than just wedge, ballast, and tower. Actually, my 2000 Wakesetter doesn't have the wedge, as I think the school of thought back then was that with the Wake hull, the wedge wasn't needed.

Check out the specifications area on this site and you'll see the different hulls listed.

I looked at mine today and it says suns cape.

Scott

Edited by Mrsamman

On the 23LSV there was no wake hull until '04. The VLX is a different animal.

Thanks for the clarification Ronnie. I should have paid more attention to the OP, stating he had a 23 footer.

my 2000 Wakesetter doesn't have the wedge

Same here.

I have a 2000 WS VLX but it didn't come with a wedge and it wasn't even offered.

My USCG plate says it's a Sunsetter VLX and even my trailer says Sunsetter.

Escape and Sunscape same thing. Original name was Escape but another boat Co. had dibbs so it was renamed Sunscape.

Same here.

I have a 2000 WS VLX but it didn't come with a wedge and it wasn't even offered.

My USCG plate says it's a Sunsetter VLX and even my trailer says Sunsetter.

hey pete 5,999 posts :rockon:

Edited by 5oclocksomewhere

Escape and Sunscape same thing. Original name was Escape but another boat Co. had dibbs so it was renamed Sunscape.

Exactly!

In '00 The wedge was offered to all DD's nd VD's with the exception of the Escape because the standard "v" wedge needed to be offset to accommodate the shorter distance between the rudder and the wedge foil. This was a new product that many just didn't know much about and Malibu didn't do a good job of promoting it via the dealer network.

My 2000 Escape has a wedge (it could have been installed at some other point in it's life as I just bought it - I thought it was an available option in the brocure). The 2000 23 Wakesetter LSV (same hull) I looked at also had a wedge but again I do not have any history.

Edited by l98ycar