Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009 VTX Wakesetter w/Illusion XS tower is cracked

bleegeorge

As I am ready to get my 2009 Malibu VTX Wakesetter de-winterized to put into the water, I discover that my Illusion XS tower is cracked, where the right speaker is mounted. I am looking for another tower to replace it.

Please contact me if you have one.

Shouldn't Malibu be finding one for you under warrenty?... or putting a G3 on your boat since they don't have any XS? If they offer you a G3 and you don't want it then I am happy to take the G3 and give you my XS. :)

Shouldn't Malibu be finding one for you under warrenty?... or putting a G3 on your boat since they don't have any XS? If they offer you a G3 and you don't want it then I am happy to take the G3 and give you my XS. :)

Hey Thanks, I already have a call into Malibu, should hear back Monday either way. If I am SOL, I will be in touch.

BTW, does the G3 tower fit my boat? I was under the impression it wouldn't fit.

It will fit. They have not changed the dimensions on the VTX since they built it. The problem will be where the G3 mounts on the gunnels. It is farther back than the illusion and illusion XS were. It can be done, but not very easy.

BTW, does the G3 tower fit my boat? I was under the impression it wouldn't fit.

Thanks for the info, maybe there's hope, I will keep you posted. Bummer I won't be on the water this weekend.

It will fit. They have not changed the dimensions on the VTX since they built it. The problem will be where the G3 mounts on the gunnels. It is farther back than the illusion and illusion XS were. It can be done, but not very easy.

The g3 fits great, mounts in the exact same place and is an easy install. I did it.

The g3 fits great, mounts in the exact same place and is an easy install. I did it.

Thanks for the clarification! So it must just be different than the Illusion x tower than?

Thanks for the clarification! So it must just be different than the Illusion x tower than?

There isn't really any difference between the X and XS as far as mounting goes so I doubt the X is any different than the G3 as far as mounting as well.

I had to drill a 1/2" hole on each side of the tower for the wire to run down, that didn't match up. Everything else was a direct bolt up. There is some flexability on where to mount the G3, the backing plate allows movement 2" back. Much simpler install, just a backing plate without all that spring assist b.s. Freakin dream to raise and lower compared to the X or XS towers, especially if you have tower speakers that you can remove from the tower.

Edited by 06vlx

I'm surprised. I know the G3 sits almost 8" farther back on the gunnel on the 2011 versus the 2007. I was hoping to reuse my evolution cover but it won't fit without quite a bit of modifying. I suppose you could just mount it in the existing spots.

Good to know for anyone else needing this fix as well.

I'm surprised. I know the G3 sits almost 8" farther back on the gunnel on the 2011 versus the 2007. I was hoping to reuse my evolution cover but it won't fit without quite a bit of modifying. I suppose you could just mount it in the existing spots.

Good to know for anyone else needing this fix as well.

I can only speak for the 23' then, I didn't know it sat that far back on the vtx. My evolution cover fits fine after the swap. The g3 shouldn't be sitting back any further because the forward angle of the tower isn't as aggresive. Who know these are hand built machines.

I have the G3 on my 2004 23LSV. The G3 is an amazing upgrade from the Illusion X. Malibu has modified the bases to accomadate the various width differences of the hulls.

-Dave

I can only speak for the 23' then, I didn't know it sat that far back on the vtx. My evolution cover fits fine after the swap. The g3 shouldn't be sitting back any further because the forward angle of the tower isn't as aggresive. Who know these are hand built machines.

No kidding. That's why I never got rid of my old cover yet. Once the 2011 gets here next week I will try it on there and see if it can be modified slightly, or if Corey is getting another order!

No kidding. That's why I never got rid of my old cover yet. Once the 2011 gets here next week I will try it on there and see if it can be modified slightly, or if Corey is getting another order!

I'll bet Cory would camp out in your garage with his sewing machine and wait for your 2011 to arrive just in case the cover might need a little tweeking. And he would bring the beer too. :rockon:

There isn't really any difference between the X and XS as far as mounting goes so I doubt the X is any different than the G3 as far as mounting as well.

I had to drill a 1/2" hole on each side of the tower for the wire to run down, that didn't match up. Everything else was a direct bolt up. There is some flexability on where to mount the G3, the backing plate allows movement 2" back. Much simpler install, just a backing plate without all that spring assist b.s. Freakin dream to raise and lower compared to the X or XS towers, especially if you have tower speakers that you can remove from the tower.

Thanks so much. I am relived to hear that it will fit. My dealer said that getting the tower could be problem because Malibu was only making them for their production ordered boats. I will find out tomorrow. Thanks for the help. I will keep you posted.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2009 247 Wakesetter that I want to change my XS tower for a G3.

Can you send me pictures of where the crack on your XS towerwas.

I am hearing a lot of rattling and clunking when I go over waves and wonder if mine is cracked somewhere.

Even after the dealership changed the plastic bushings out on both bolts.

What did you pay for the tower and shipping?