Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Extreme Trailer

idsII

I just bought a 06 LSV on an extreme trailer. It was delivered to my house because my truck is in the shop. Do the extreme trailers come with electric brakes or are they surge? Is there an easy way to tell? I looked at the brakes and i did not see any wires, just brake lines.

I just boat a 08 vette boat w/ an exteme trailer. The brakes are surge. I learned you have to have the electric plugged in to back up. I have a bobcat with a ball hitch to move all my trailers around. I was trying to back it up and the trailer brakes would not release. Great trailer.

If you want to back trailer up without having it plugged in, there is a metal brace that will allow you to back up. It fits in the side of the coupler, my trailer came with it, but you can get one from the dealer.

You most likely have surge brakes with a UFP Actuator. If so, there are several mechanical lockout devices available (shown below). They are all readily available through a variety of trailer and marine parts dealers. (I included a link below to the online retailer where I bought mine).

I bought the Brake Lockout Cap first. I thought this would be the best option because it installs on the trailer (in place of the plastic cap) and therefore you always have it with you. It also automatically disengages when you pull forward so it eliminates the danger of you driving down the highway with no trailer brakes. However, I found that it did not work reliably and that the automatic disengage feature was a headache because you have to manually re-engage the lockout every time you pull forward.

The Side Lockout Bracket also has an automatic disengage feature. It is designed to fall out when you pull forward.

The best option of the three is the Dealer Lockout Bracket. I used it regularly to move the boat in and out of my garage with my lawn tractor. It worked great. You just have to remember to take it off before you head out.

We also learned (the hard way) that it is a good idea to keep the lockout bracket with you when you go to the lake. On two occasions, the electrical signal from the tow vehicle failed while backing the trailer into the water. The first time this occurred we had to drive home, get the lockout bracket and return to the lake in order to get the trailer into the water. We ultimately found that a bad backup solenoid on the trailer caused the issues with the tow vehicle. Of course, we have remedied this but I still think it's a good idea to have the lockout bracket with you.

Side Lockout Bracket (UFP # 34557) ~$2

post-8878-022518900 1304789581_thumb.jpg

Dealer Yard Lockout Bracket (UFP # 34551) ~$8

post-8878-033041000 1304789590_thumb.jpg

Brake Lockout Cap (UFP # 34359) ~$10

post-8878-080675800 1304789689_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brent Wall

A coin in the slot, such as a nickel, will work in a pinch also. Only costs $.05

Edited by Pistol Pete
  • Like 2
  • 5 years later...
On 5/7/2011 at 6:10 PM, Pistol Pete said:

A coin in the slot, such as a nickel, will work in a pinch also. Only costs $.05

I used this method last night.

:werule:

I took a c-clamp and ground the clamping area to fit in the brake lockout slot. Works great for moving the trailer around with the tractor.