Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying Decision... Info appreciated

TenTwentyOne

Hi All-

This is my first time posting here and I am just looking for some quick info and advice. I have always been a big fan of Malibu boats, especially from the asthetics standpoint. However, I also like MasterCraft. Therefore, that is my other consideration in this purchase. I know that I am not supposed like both brands, and many of you may look down on me for doing so..... However posting that opinion will not effect my decision....So, no need to try to talk me into it. I am smart enough to know that both boat companies build some of the best ski/wake boats on the market.

That being said, this is what I am looking for- A Wakeboarding/Surf boat with room for 10-12 adults, A super clean lip, a great surf wake without putting ballast bags everywhere, and a XL cooler!!

We primarily wakeboard and surf. Some of us do a little recreational skiing, but not really any slalom, and I dont see us getting into that. We also spend a ton of time on the boat just lounging around. I have narrowed my decision down to either a Bu WS 23LSV, or a MC X25. Similarly equipped, they are about the same price. (although the MSRP was way higher on the X25, and then had a bigger discount). Basically though, within 1k on final price.

I have not boarded or surfed behind either of these two boats, so, that is where you come in. Based on experience behind the 23 LSV, how does it board/surf compared to the other Malibus?? I have spent a considerable amount of time behind a VLX and a 247...... Have any of you been behind an X25 and offer any info about that boats wake? Also, do most of you find that you need extra ballast in the 23? I really dont want to deal with ballast bags.... Or at least not more than a couple in the rear storage....

One of the really great things about Malibu's is that regardless of size, all of their boats are very comparable in terms of performance. Sure there will be differences from the VLX to the 23, but not nearly as drastic a difference as you'll find in other manufacturer's lines. Because of that, your experience in the VLX and 247 will be a good indicator of what you can expect from the 23.

Any boat will need additional ballast to really generate a decent surf wake, whether it's a Mastercraft, Malibu, Tige, etc. That said, a single bag in the rear compartment is more than enough to generate a wake that is easy to have fun with, especially with a boat full of passengers.

Honestly, from a performance standpoint, I don't think you can go wrong with either of the two boats you're looking at. For me it would come down to aesthetics, interior functionality, and the support of your local dealer. Malibu handily beats Mastercraft on the first two in my opinion, and only you can know which dealer is going to give you better support, which is a big part of the boat ownership experience.

I have an '05 VLX and have wakeboarded behind the x25 a few times. I really like the 25's wake. It seems more rampy than my vlx making it easier/less effort for me to throw tricks, and doesn't seem to need anything more than factory ballast and a few people in the boat. It is the only Mastercraft I have really liked and considered. I lost interest once i saw just how expensive it was compared to the value of my current boat, but if you are going to spend the money, I would recommend riding behind both if possible before buying.

As a former MasterCraft dealer and current Malibu dealer I can tell you first hand that you can't go wrong with either boat as far as performance and reliability. As mentioned both boats will need additional ballast for surfing...even the X-25 with surf tabs but one bag in the rear locker is usually plenty especially if you have a few passengers. Personally I do prefer the stock wakeboard wake of the Malibu VLX or 23LSV over any stock wake of the MasterCrafts. With 4 tanks in the BU and the power wedge it will exceed the MasterCraft wake and is much cleaner at all rope lengths and speeds and the wedge creates a nice, firm lip which can only be reached in a MasterCraft with a lot more ballast. Also, the handling and agility is much better in a BU I think. With the deeper hull of the MC and lack of tracking fins they drive more like a big runabout and just don't have the tracking in turns like a BU or others. Another big factor is your tower functionality. If you need to collapse the tower often you will certainly appreciate the G3 tower over the MasterCraft but the MC board racks are great. Of course everyone here will persuade you to go with the Malibu but both are first class boats. Just make yourself a pro/con list for each and go from there and be sure to drive both boats before you decide...as they say "the Truth is on the water"

^^ Too hard for you to push a button on the power tower? :biggrin: Stock X25 wake is big, 2011 X25's come with tracking fins.....not saying the BU's still won't handle better.....

^^ Too hard for you to push a button on the power tower? :biggrin: Stock X25 wake is big, 2011 X25's come with tracking fins.....not saying the BU's still won't handle better.....

Not to bash, but since he came on the Malibu site, it might be expected.

The power tower is just now getting the bimini out. On the MC site, the guys with MC owner's goggles are even finding it hard to like. If I went with a X25, I would for sure get the old fashioned tower. That power tower is a monstrosity. They did not like the initial bimini, so most guys with a power tower are just now getting their first look.

On the flip side, I have not heard of anyone who did not like the X25 wakeboard wake. There are just not many of them out there, so it is mostly rumour. But I guess I have never heard of anyone who did not like a 23 LSV wake, either.

post-13782-061991600 1304716770_thumb.jp

i Will go whit malibu.

Im the dealer for argentina and I will tell the other side of the business.

First of all the malibu dealer seems to be more honest IMO because he told you the fair price. Whit MC you need a really big discount on the price. Conclusion if you are not awake they steel you. here is the same story they ask 120 K for a X2 and I ask 115 K for VLX whit a very good profit. When the feel that they are loosing the customer the start w the discounts.

In the second hand malibu is a clasicc style boat. It always will be a Boat, not a pickefork. Is like a 1991 Nautique, is always beautifull. When you need to sell the boat everybody will love the look of the 23 LSV.

That s my opinion

i Will go whit malibu.

Im the dealer for argentina and I will tell the other side of the business.

First of all the malibu dealer seems to be more honest IMO because he told you the fair price. Whit MC you need a really big discount on the price. Conclusion if you are not awake they steel you. here is the same story they ask 120 K for a X2 and I ask 115 K for VLX whit a very good profit. When the feel that they are loosing the customer the start w the discounts.

In the second hand malibu is a clasicc style boat. It always will be a Boat, not a pickefork. Is like a 1991 Nautique, is always beautifull. When you need to sell the boat everybody will love the look of the 23 LSV.

That s my opinion

Thanks for all of the input guys. Hopefully I will be able to ride behind both if the weather ever improves here!! Its been a rainy cold spring.

I would not be getting the power tower if I got the MC. From an engineering standpoint, I think it is awesome. However, I hate the looks of it. I would much rather have the ZFT-3.

Even though the deep v takes away from the handling a little bit, It is actually a plus for me because this boat will be on a pretty big lake about half the time. It can get pretty rough out there, so a smooth/dry ride would be nice for those occasions.

Skurfer- The only 2011 x25s with tracking fins are the ones with the 6.2l Ilmor. That is the engine I would want though. So, it would have them. I am not sure why they dont put them on with the smaller engines....... Odd

Undoubtedly, the malibu is more pleasing to the eyes :rockon: and the wedge helps to save you from adding as much ballast... And the Bu has a better looking tower.

This decision will probably come down the dealer I feel most comfortable with...... Unless one ends up having a better wakeboard wake than the other...

I was in the same situation last fall and decided on the Malibu, I have to say that if I had it to do over again, I would buy the MC. I ordered my boat and the first one had to go back because of damaged gel, they built a new one, which is great, but the gel pattern was wrong and it had several issues with trailer, stain on cushion, major scratches in the gel and areas of discoloration in the gel, broken bimini booat, on and on. Overall, bad experience, IMO, bad, bad, quality control. MC would not let a boat leave the factory in that kind of shape. Good luck with your decision.

I don't care for the looks of the power tower, I like what it can do, but I also don't like the back and forth shake. You are correct about the X25 tracking fins, if you special ordered one, you might be able to get them:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=732277&postcount=8

Pros and cons to each. You have a great problem on your hands. Drive both and give us your thoughts!

Edited by skurfer