Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

350 Mercruiser wont REstart.... 93 Euro F3

Well colour me confused (even more so). I am postin this from the boat on my phone - when When I turned the key first time she starts very quick. No pumping required to make it turn over. Nothing new there, it was getting it restarted which has been the problem. So I let it get up to temperature and killed the engine. So when I go to restart it fires off the first turn. Tried several times and no issues. This might be seen as lucky but I would rather get to the bottom of the problem than think all is well and get caught out again.

No worries with fire or fuel for now although I have noticed 2 things. First is the sight hose from the fuel pump to the carb has been melted into 2 against the block. I guess I need to address this?

The second thing is the manifold elbow port side can get much warmer than the other one causing high temp light to come on when revs arequite high. This will then clear itself and cool back down.

So I guess I'm back to square one?

When are you pumping? I think you have been flooding it if you have ever pumped it. Less is more.

Check your choke. Is the choke mechanical(with linkage to carb) or electronic on the 93? If the choke stays in the cold position(malfunctioning) it will cause a no start when the engine is hot, won't it? Make sure the bigger butterfly is opening when you try to start it, or else it's not getting any air and the choke is broke.

It's carburated, not Elec. Fuel injected. You don't cool the pump or fuel rails like an efi motor. vapor lock is more likely to happen on efi high pressure pumps and lines.

I would try some starting fluid in the carb and see if that works. If so, rebuild the carb.

How many hours on the motor?

Lot of hours on the motor - around 1200. Choke is automatic mechanical kind. It appears to be workin fine but then somas the boat right now. never checked when the boat won't start. Thanks for the info on vapour lock. Still learning this engine !

I need to look at the riser but can't get my boat out of the water right now. Is it safe to remove the water pipes and/or riser to check while in the water?

strongly doubt you have the voltage problem that I did... that's really more of a picky ecm issue, and I don't think you'd have the same concern on a carbed boat. I just don't think your ecm would be that picky about the voltage.

Have you confirmed that you do have spark when it's turning over but not starting?