Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

buffing my stick

HRemington

I've been doing some Christmas shopping for someone else and got a great deal on a D3 X5 demo. It just arrived today and looks good, but I can see light surface scatches from the tip to where the bindings were, sort of like it was rubbed down with something a bit abrasive. Since the ski is black, they are slightly more noticeable to the trained eye. I would like to make it look as perfect as possible and was wondering if those can safely be buffed out, similar to gel coat. Anybody have thoughts or experience?

You should have no problem buffing out the top side. Just don't buff or wax the bottom, use a scotch brite pad for fiberglass bath tubs and soap to remove the mold releasing agent. Where did you get the good deal and are there any more?

what should I use on the top side?

...and I got it straight from D3 (916.714.9389)...better than anything I saw on www.ski-it-again.com and also their bindings are 10% off this month.

wow on a mission.. i would say never ever use an abrasive scotch brite or anything like it on a ski. it is a tuning tool not a cleaning tool, using such a product will change the ski for ever..

Looking to give your current ski to onaMrs (oh wait, that'd be you - I mean Mrs. Mission) for Christmas? :)

If I can get that sticker off the tip of the old stick. Biggrin.gif

what should I use on the top side?

...and I got it straight from D3 (916.714.9389)...better than anything I saw on www.ski-it-again.com and also their bindings are 10% off this month.

I'll take a look at he D3 site. I would try polishing compound first, and then go to a light duty rubbing compound.

wow on a mission.. i would say never ever use an abrasive scotch brite or anything like it on a ski. it is a tuning tool not a cleaning tool, using such a product will change the ski for ever..

The white scotch bright pads made for fiberglass bath tubs are safe enough to use on the boats gel coat without any damage. A little soap and the pad will clean the oils and grease off the bottom safely. Tip picked up from one of the pro's about 15 years ago. I've been cleaning the bottom like that 2 or 3 times a year since.

Edited by onamission
I've been doing some Christmas shopping for someone else and got a great deal on a D3 X5 demo.

Ok, this portion of your post is VERY easy to overlook to the untrained eye. I, however, have a trained AND an untrained eye. So basically, I see right through everything. . .

When you say shopping for someone else, do you mean you are buying a gift for another person?

Or do you mean someone else is buying something and you are giving advice?

Or do you REALLY mean you are buying your own gift, don't want to let us know that, and looking for affirmation?

Peel an onion, Hank has lots of layers. Hank, leave the new ski, bring your ice skates an a Scotch-Brite® pad up here and we'll have a conversation about reality. ;)

I mean the kind of shopping that I don't have to pay for...but I don't get to keep the ski either. Still, it's fun spending somebody else's money. Buying for a friend's wife to surprise him with. It takes alot of fortitude to have her lying on my bed right now, sleek and sexy, trying to seduce me and having to refuse her advances...

...the D3 I mean Biggrin.gif

I mean the kind of shopping that I don't have to pay for...but I don't get to keep the ski either.  Still, it's fun spending somebody else's money.  Buying for a friend's wife to surprise him with. It takes alot of fortitude to have her lying on my bed right now, sleek and sexy, trying to seduce me and having to refuse her advances...

Yeah sure. You'll need to beincluding photos.

thanks for the various tips GT and onamission...BTW, onamission is not saying to use the ScotchBrite on the top, and I'd never do that, nor is he saying to use the green version on the bottom, but the white, which is safe. Anyway, my buddy will have to buff his own bottom, we're not that close.

Yesterday, before getting star frog's tip on the McGuire's Color Restorer, I used some Zymöl® cleaner wax, and it worked really well. It's still not quite perfect on some of the scratches, so I may go back and try the McGuires. Thanks.

I mean the kind of shopping that I don't have to pay for...but I don't get to keep the ski either.  Still, it's fun spending somebody else's money.  Buying for a friend's wife to surprise him with. It takes alot of fortitude to have her lying on my bed right now, sleek and sexy, trying to seduce me and having to refuse her advances...

Good one, Hank! Biggrin.gif

thats cool. we do call things different names than you guys over here..

jello-jelly

jelly-jam

...and i cant think of any others right now..

So is the top of a ski more akin to a clear coat or gel coat, and what is the difference in terms of refinishing? Is clear coat softer and more delicate, but gel coat requires a more aggressive polish?

i did a walk through goodes mich. shop when i bought mine. incredible. it has been a while and my memory isn't what it used to be (but i keep forgetting that) but i will give it a go.

the foam core looks like the floppy foam rubber material that you think of as padding in automobile seats. that gets compressed and cooked and comes out considerably more dense and stiff but is not rigid. the carbon composite gets wrapped around the foam core. a variety of shaped layers scheduled in different locations differentiate various models and stiffness(amp in the goode vernacular). the carbon wrapped layer gets thrown into another mold and cooked again. the vinyl wrapper is the part you see (and want to buff, gee i'm glad you were talking about a ski). i'm thinking a shrink wrap type of wrapper.

after seeing the materials and process it is pretty amazing that the ski will hold up to the punishment that it takes.

long story for a short point. i would guess that the process is similar for most of the skis on the market. don't generate a lot of heat buffing or the vinyl wrapper is going to break down.