Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

April at Lake Powell...

OTN

Got back from a 10-day Powell trip. Fished and skiied behind a 21 foot Triton with a 250 Yahama VMax outboard.

3 days of the 10 the lake was completely glass. Everywhere. I've never seen anything like it. While the water was 57 degrees, it was soooo worth it. Miles and miles of perfect water in every direction...

post-8578-080791600 1304541886_thumb.jpg

post-8578-013137600 1304541894_thumb.jpg

We put in at Wahweap (Page, AZ), drove ~32 miles to Rock Creek Bay, then camped in the back of Dry Rock Creek. Best thing about the Rock Creek area is the proximity of Dangling Rope Marina. You can feel like you're out in the middle of nowhere, but it was only a 10 minute drive for gas, ice, etc.

I've NEVER seen the main channel like that before. If you can deal with winds to 50, 60 mph every now and then and don't mind throwing on a wetsuit, April is the best time to find the glass.

t

We put in at Wahweap (Page, AZ), drove ~32 miles to Rock Creek Bay, then camped in the back of Dry Rock Creek. Best thing about the Rock Creek area is the proximity of Dangling Rope Marina. You can feel like you're out in the middle of nowhere, but it was only a 10 minute drive for gas, ice, etc.

I've NEVER seen the main channel like that before. If you can deal with winds to 50, 60 mph every now and then and don't mind throwing on a wetsuit, April is the best time to find the glass.

t

I thought that they closed Dangling Rope a few several years ago.

I believe they may have closed Hite at the north end of the lake. I know Dangling Rope has been open for at least the last 3 years

Thats an epic ride there! Wow, how beautiful those canyons are..... I am hoping to make it to Powell for my 40th next year! I am sure the water changes with the summer rush....

Thanks for sharing the pics....

Air temps were in the upper 60s to low 80s, water temps 53-57 in the channel, mid 60s back in the bay.

Gas at The Rope was ~$4.50 a gallon- I was expecting worse, to tell the truth. They ran out of ice and anchovies while we were there (because we cleaned 'em out), so it's not the most robust of marinas, but they are open and in business. I wish they would stop selling touristy crap and have a better selection of food, etc, but it's hard to complain when they've put a marina in the middle of nowhere.

We're headed back in mid October. With the water levels coming up 35 feet this year (!), it's going to be a TOTALLY different lake by the end of the summer. Can't wait to see the change and hike WAY back in those canyons.

t

Forgot to mention: Had rain for 3 or 4 days, off and on. Never enough to get the famous waterfalls coming off the canyon walls, though, which has been on my "to see" list ever since I first hit up Powell. Next time perhaps...