Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Sun Kicker

Asmodeus2112

Hi, I'm about to buy a 2001 Sun Kicker. As far as I can tell it is a direct driver Sunsetter, correct?

By 2001 would this boat be all composite construction, or would there be some wood in the floor/stringers?

Anyone own/owned one of these and care to talk me in/out of buying? :thumbup:

Sunkicker is a optional package on the Sunsetter in 2001. tower and cosmetic package (see brochure in the resource section). I have a 2001 sunsetter and love it. All glass. no wood. Not the best ski wake but fine for my level of slolom and a decent wakeboarding wake with wedge and ballast. I wanted a V drive but did not want to pay 5K more. overall for what I use this boat for and the price I paid I am totally happy. go for it.

I bought a 2001 Sun Kicker last April and have really enjoyed the boat. This is my first boat/Malibu and I couldn't be happier. We primarily use the boat for wakeboarding but are going to see if we can set it up for surfing this summer. I'm not a hardcore skier but the wake flattens out ok for amateur runs. Overall, reliable and solid as a rock during the first year with me. Let me know if I can help you with anything.

Hi, I'm about to buy a 2001 Sun Kicker. As far as I can tell it is a direct driver Sunsetter, correct?

By 2001 would this boat be all composite construction, or would there be some wood in the floor/stringers?

Anyone own/owned one of these and care to talk me in/out of buying? :thumbup:

Well, I bought the Sun Kicker today, and with all my attention on the boat I overlooked the trailer. The surge brakes don't work, and when I got home I opened the resevoir and found it dry with some goopy stuff in it. Is this as bad as I assume it is?

The model of boat will not determine anything about the trailer.

You need to ask fellow Dorsey owners or, just call Dorsey tomorrow.

The model of boat will not determine anything about the trailer.

You need to ask fellow Dorsey owners or, just call Dorsey tomorrow.

Ok, plus I'm running this on two threads. Was just looking at the plate on the trailer and they customized for the boat, so I was thinking other owners of the same vintage and model could have the same trailer.

Well Asmodeus,

I'll fill you in on the difference in brake fluids.

They are rated in DOT ratings from 3-5.1 Good read here.

If you had DOT 3 in your brake system (just for instance) you could put in DOT 3 or, anything higher.

If you had DOT 5 (for instance) you cannot down grade to a lower number, you must keep it the same or, higher. The seals don't play well together.

There is also a big difference between the fluid being synthetic or not, a big difference.

BTW, since this is your first boat, I'll help you spend your money now on something you're gonna need. Click the "buy this book" link in my signature.

• 2 weeks later...

After cleaning and adjusting and new bilge pump etc. the fam and I took the boat out this past Sunday. I am so happy I bought this boat. I love the construction of the Malibu. The Monsoon is a sweet motor, starts right up, purrs and gurgles, and pops the boat right out of the hole and pulls hard.

• 4 years later...

Glad to know you're loving the boat!  I just bought a 2001 Sunkicker and can hardly wait for the season to begin!  If you or anyone else can recommend a tower bimini to fit this boat with the Skylon Tuna tower, that's my next purchase.  Cheers!

Oh... just noticed this thread is from 2011... my bad.

Edited by dwlaker
  • 4 years later...

I just bought an 01 malibu sunkicker.  During our 3rd time on the water we started experiencing crazy vibrations at higher RPM.  Any ideas as to what's wrong?  Prop looks great.  Coupler bolts are all in.