Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Timing help

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and in desperate need of some answer about setting timing on a 2007 Monsoon 340. Long story short, I've inherited a very rarely used 2007 Wakeseter with a Monsoon 340 EFI. The boat was not winterized, which resulted in a cracked block. After installing the new motor I was able to get the boat running with timing set roughly by ear. My question is this, can the timing be set with a timing light? There are timing marks on the harmonic balancer so I would assume it is possible. With that does anyone on the forum know the timing procedure for this motor or at least what degree BTDC it is supposed to be set at?All information I have found shows it has to be set with a diagnostic computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Yes you need a computer to put the boat into base timing mode. I'm pretty sure an other solutions don't work with the more advanced MEFI 5+ system on your boat.

Once the boat is in base timing mode you just put a timing light on it and set it for 10 deg BTDC.

Honestly you may have to just pay a shop to do it because the computers are pricey.

-Chris

Edited by 99response

After 2005 all engines are set with _cam retard_ instead of base timing. To accomplish this you need the computer to show you the cam retard position.

(Prior to 2005 you can jump pins on the DLC and set to 10 BTC)

Peter