Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

8.1L Exhaust Manifold and Riser Leaks

Rather than replace the gaskets every year as Indmar recommends. Is there a permanent fix for this problem?

Here is the Indmar Service Advisory (Advisory SV2010-1)

My link

Edited by idsII

The key is the fact that the manifolds are aluminum. The problem is an issue with how much an aluminum manifiold actually "moves" in operation, or grows and contracts for each heat cycle. There really is not a permanent fix when using two dissimilar metals in the system. I get a few years out of exhaust manifold and manifold to riser gaskets with my aluminum manifolds but certainly not the extended period of a all cast iron system. As the gasket gets harder with age, it becomes more prone to fail.

Rather than replace the gaskets every year as Indmar recommends. Is there a permanent fix for this problem?

Here is the Indmar Service Advisory (Advisory SV2010-1)

My link

Been working with Indmar on this as well...no there's not. In fact, while we're talking about it, can anyone suggest any ideas for getting to the allen bolt heads? woodski had an idea with a allen wrench socket wrench with a ball on the end as I recall but I cna't find that anywhere.

search for ball head allen wrench

that's not going to do it....the 8.1s have a unique problem in that the 2 inside bolts can only be accessed from the side (like using a cut down allen wrench)....the problem is that the valve covers are right there...even I'm skeptical of the ball allen socket approach but I'll give it a shot....sure easier than pulling the headers off

If the ball end of an allen wrench won't slide down in the bolt (you then put the closed end of a smallish (3/8" or 7/16") over the bent end to get some leverage to tighten your allen wrench), can you cut down a regular allen and drop it in there. How about popping off the valve cover, might be easier than removing the headers themselves. That might give you a bit more room. Upon reassembly, can you look in to one of the following options: a 12 point bolt head (small box end wrench will tighten), 6 point bolt head and use a distributor wrench style tool to tighten. Can you loosen the headers a bit to get the needed clearance, of course the gasket then could become your nemiises (and certainly Murphy will be looking over your shoulder at that very moment).

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like mine has a green paper gasket which from what I've researched will fail very quickly. Does anyone know if there is a sandwich style gasket consisting of a metal core with graphite gasket material on both sides? I guess the metal core keeps the gasket from blowing out under pressure.

Edited by idsII

Looks like mine has a green paper gasket which from what I've researched will fail very quickly. Does anyone know if there is a sandwich style gasket consisting of a metal core with graphite gasket material on both sides? I guess the metal core keeps the gasket from blowing out under pressure.

Mine looks green too but I'll be changing soon, I'll confirm material

The replacement gaskets are easy to find, but finding any that are high performance are not. I have almost 600 hrs on my engine with no signs of external leaks, but from what I am reading that isn't any indication of what is going on in the inside of the riser.

I hit most of the popular go fast sites and found nothing any different to the "green" colored gaskets. I sure don't want this to be a regular maintenance item...What a pain!

-Dave

I'm wondering if making them from this would work-

My link

Interesting, but I wonder how the specs of that material compare to what is stock. Custom gasket making is not a lot of fun.

-Dave

• 5 years later...

I know Im on an old thread, but I have an 8.1 new to me leaking at the riser gasket and I'm looking for a little more info before I tear it apart and put in new gaskets. I am unable to open the link for the service advisory and cant find the info anywhere. I am curious if anyone has found a suitable replacement gasket. Mine is the saltwater seiries. It has what looks like two green paper gaskets sandwiching a metal gasket at the riser.

@Gghost

Ball end Allen wrench is your friend, apply a lite coat of rvt to both sides of the green gasket, let it tac up before you place the gasket in place and reassemble. I get the gaskets from cp performance, always in stock.

Edited by shadetreefab