Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another Prop ? 1939 vs 532 Fusion

pielet97

2006 VLX, Acme 537, 4 ballast system with maybe 200lbs of solid ballast and up to 8 people. My problem is that when I have my family of 4 in the boat, ~450lb of people, I am already starting to see that the prop isn't able to maintain speed smoothly.

It still gets on a plane just fine, but I'd like it to maintain speed better.

Thoughts?

Are you using the integrated Precision Pro speed control, or do you have Perfect Pass? That may be part of the problem if the correct firmware update has not been applied to your boat's MDC.

If you're content with the acceleration then you probably don't want to go all the way to something like the 532. The 1939 (or even better, the 1941) will offer better speed holding thanks to the larger diamater, without swapping much top speed for hole shot.

Are you using the integrated Precision Pro speed control, or do you have Perfect Pass? That may be part of the problem if the correct firmware update has not been applied to your boat's MDC.

If you're content with the acceleration then you probably don't want to go all the way to something like the 532. The 1939 (or even better, the 1941) will offer better speed holding thanks to the larger diamater, without swapping much top speed for hole shot.

I have the Malibu Cruise and I called a dealership in VA and they said I had the updated firmware, but I have my doubts they even checked.... Can I do it with a call, or do they need the boat??

I'll look into the 1941. I do cruise for a mile or two every trip (weekly) and maybe 4-5 miles once a month.

Thanks for the reply

They would need to scan the boat to be able to tell definitively if your boat got the update. They may keep records of individual software updates that were performed for each boat, but I doubt it.

There's no significant difference in cruising speed between the 1939 and 1941, so you won't see any difference there.

So, to summarize:

537 - acceptable hole shot, (3 adults/2 kids stock ballast), not sure with 6 adults, good cruise

532 Fusion - serious pull like the popular 1235 or 1273, poor cruise

1939 - good all around prop, slightly better hole shot, mph hold ability and slightly worse cruise

1941 - ?

How would the user tell the difference between the 1939 and 1941?

Would this be accurate?

I see myself wakeboarding 99% of the time, but like I said before, I still like to cruise to the spot under 3500 rpm.

Does anyone make anything close to a 14.25x15? I think that is what I'm searching for..... Maybe?

Just switched to the 532 from the 1939, I am a big fan of the OJ 532 and the ACME 1235. If you dont need to go 45+ MPH then I would say go with the 532.... its a great low end prop, and I do believe after comparing the two on my boat it will definitely hold your speed better for wakeboarding and surfing. Would not recommend if you slalom ski.... you can still cruise at 30-35MPH, and will top out with WOT at 41-42 MPH. Personally for me, I usually only cruise the lakes in the low 30's.... seems to be plenty fast for me.

Just my .02 from what I have seen on the water with both props.....

Edited by Fman

Just switched to the 532 from the 1939, I am a big fan of the OJ 532 and the ACME 1235. If you dont need to go 45+ MPH then I would say go with the 532.... its a great low end prop, and I do believe after comparing the two on my boat it will definitely hold your speed better for wakeboarding and surfing. Would not recommend if you slalom ski.... you can still cruise at 30-35MPH, and will top out with WOT at 41-42 MPH. Personally for me, I usually only cruise the lakes in the low 30's.... seems to be plenty fast for me.

Just my .02 from what I have seen on the water with both props.....

Thanks, I appreciate it. I have no desire to go 45+ and I most likely will not slalom ski since my buddy has the boat for that.

So how many rpms are you at wakeboard speeds and low 30's cruise?

Thanks, I appreciate it. I have no desire to go 45+ and I most likely will not slalom ski since my buddy has the boat for that.

So how many rpms are you at wakeboard speeds and low 30's cruise?

I am going out on Wednesday this week, I will take a note of RPM's when cruising at different speeds. I used the 1235 on my Supra for two seasons and loved it, I was immediately disappointed with the 1939 compared to the 1235 or OJ 532. Especially when loading the boat up with some passengers and some ballast. I knew after 15 minutes the 1939 would be coming off the boat...

Edited by Fman

It doesn't surprise me at all that you didn't like the 1939 based on the amount of ballast you're running and the way you use your boat.

Your situation is quite a bit different than pielet97's however.

It doesn't surprise me at all that you didn't like the 1939 based on the amount of ballast you're running and the way you use your boat.

Even with no ballast filled and 6 passengers in the boat I felt the prop was not adequate for a good holeshot, but thats just my opinion. For the last two seasons I have only been exposed to the 532 and 1235, so this was an eye opener for me to realize the difference in the props. Each person has certain expectations, for me the 1939 was a disappointment.

How much ballast is he running?

Any other details of my usage that would be helpful? I looked at the 1941 and that is a lot of $! Like I said before, I really care about it holding speed better and maybe a little more hole shot when I get larger groups in the boat.

I won't slalom ski or barefoot behind it.....

thoughts?

Thanks again

Even with no ballast filled and 6 passengers in the boat I felt the prop was not adequate for a good holeshot, but thats just my opinion. For the last two seasons I have only been exposed to the 532 and 1235, so this was an eye opener for me to realize the difference in the props. Each person has certain expectations, for me the 1939 was a disappointment.

Good thing you never tried the boat with a 537 on it, can you imagine how bad that performance would have been!

How much ballast is he running?

Any other details of my usage that would be helpful? I looked at the 1941 and that is a lot of $! Like I said before, I really care about it holding speed better and maybe a little more hole shot when I get larger groups in the boat.

I won't slalom ski or barefoot behind it.....

thoughts?

Thanks again

Travis has factory ballast, Power Wedge, and a 750 pound bag in each rear compartment. A lot of prop performance is personal opinion and experience too. You're content with the holeshot of the 537, which is the least aggressive of all of the props you're looking at, where as Travis found the 1939 (which has better acceleration than the 537) underwhelming. Based on the information you provided I think the 1939/41 is the best prop for your application. If you can't justify the price difference increase for the larger 1941 just go with the 39, the performance will be very similar. But ultimately you need to try it on the boat to know for sure, that's why you should seek out a vendor that has a demo program or performance guarantee (we offer both).

Just got back tonight from the lake.... here is the RPM range of the OJ 532 on 2011 VLX with Monsoon 350. At 30 mph I was turning about 3300-3400 RPMs, at 35 MPH I was about 3900-4000 RPMS. I did not go wide open throttle to get a top speed, but I am guessing 41-43 MPH would be about it. This is a great prop, it pulls super hard... definitely could tell a difference coming from the 1939.

Sounds like there are many options for you to choose, thumbs up from me for the OJ Fusion 532.

There is a group buy going on right now on the OJ props, I think you can pick up the OJ 532 fo under $400 which is an awesome price. Contact Dgoose (believe thats his name) for more information on this....

Just got back tonight from the lake.... here is the RPM range of the OJ 532 on 2011 VLX with Monsoon 350. At 30 mph I was turning about 3300-3400 RPMs, at 35 MPH I was about 3900-4000 RPMS. I did not go wide open throttle to get a top speed, but I am guessing 41-43 MPH would be about it. This is a great prop, it pulls super hard... definitely could tell a difference coming from the 1939.

Sounds like there are many options for you to choose, thumbs up from me for the OJ Fusion 532.

There is a group buy going on right now on the OJ props, I think you can pick up the OJ 532 fo under $400 which is an awesome price. Contact Dgoose (believe thats his name) for more information on this....

Excellent info.

Does anyone know if the transmission ratios are the same between 2006 and 2011?

Have you had the boat loaded up w/ all factory ballast (4 tanks) wedge and people pulling up a boarder with the 532?

Have you had the boat loaded up w/ all factory ballast (4 tanks) wedge and people pulling up a boarder with the 532?

Nope, no ballast or wedge yet, just clicked 11 hours on her, so next time out we will have the option to start using the ballast or wedge if desired.... the last few hours we have only been towing without any ballast or wedge. When I was comparing the 532 to the 1939 it was without any ballast or wedge. Its completely noticeable how much harder of a holeshot the 532 puts out over the 1939. We had 4 people in the boat yesterday.

I will be out again Monday, I might have someone coming along that is an advanced/expert rider, so I am sure he will ask for a full wake compliment :thumbup: .... I am really impressed with the VLX wake with no ballast or wedge, its so clean on both sides at 18 mph for my 8 year old riding at 65-70'.... could never get these results with my old ride.... I was able to get a set in myself, at 23 MPH at 70' the wake was great for a nice mellow ride.... the hull design of the VLX is quite impressive. Seems to handle the chop nicely too.

I did however use the 1235 for two seasons on my Supra with 1900 lbs of ballast, 10 passengers in boat and would still pull hard. The 1235 seems to have the exact same characeristics as the 532.

Edited by Fman

Question: would the 532 be a good all around prop for a 2011 VTX? has anyone tried the 1631? if so any imput. All this prop talk got me to looking at what I have stock and the new boat we just got has a 381 have noticed it could be beter in the hole shot.

Question: would the 532 be a good all around prop for a 2011 VTX? has anyone tried the 1631? if so any imput. All this prop talk got me to looking at what I have stock and the new boat we just got has a 381 have noticed it could be beter in the hole shot.

Do you wakeboard and surf much? Are you good with a 30-35 MPH cruising range? If the answers are yes to those questions I would say go with the OJ 532 Fusion/ACME 1235. Just my opinion, I am a big fan of them.... but I only use my boat for wakeboarding and surfing, plus I just added a 750lb rear bag for surfing.... the 532 makes a big difference for surfing and extra ballast. Plus if you take a lot of people in your boat, the 532 will also aim to please.

If you slalom more than wakeboard, I would not recommend the 532....

Just my opinion....

We use the boat on a private lake and mostly ski. Any input on the 1631?

Cant help you on the 1631, I would advise you call wakeprops.com, they can probably get you something that would fit your needs.

I have very little knowledge on this subject except what I have read and researched. I did learn some new information from calling both OJ and ACME. If you have a larger motor than the monsoon. Possibly the hammer head (I do) or one of the new big blocks you cant pitch your prop down too much. Both the reps for ACME and OJ both felt the 1235 and the 532 fusion had too low pitch for a high horse power motor. The OJ rep recommended a 14.25 diameter by 15.5 pitch and the ACME rep recommended the 1939. This information applied to me because I have an 06 23lsv with the HH motor. I just wanted to share my experince with the crew.