Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

CAN YOU "CUP" A SS PROP??

jkendallmsce

Yes, but it takes significantly more skill and experience, so make sure you use a shop that knows what they're doing.

jkendallmsce

If it's a CVP SS prop do yourself a favor and just throw it away. :yes:

A buddy who just bought an older Mastercraft, well it came with a SS prop.....I think it was used for barefooting.

There is a prop shop in Lodi, CA that I have used, and you'd be amazed at what a little cupping will do to a prop!!

ANyway, it had a very poor hole shot with the SS prop. SO we switched props and its like a new boat. Nice hole shot, and a much better (softer) wake with the nibrel. Who'da thunk the wake would change soo much!!

We were talking about trying to cup the old SS prop and play with it to see if we could get it to perform as well as the newly installed nibrel.

I agree NorCAl...I have never been a big fan if SS props.....but it'll make a nice spare.

thanks for the help/info...there is sooo much good info on this site.

A buddy who just bought an older Mastercraft, well it came with a SS prop.....I think it was used for barefooting.

There is a prop shop in Lodi, CA that I have used, and you'd be amazed at what a little cupping will do to a prop!!

ANyway, it had a very poor hole shot with the SS prop. SO we switched props and its like a new boat. Nice hole shot, and a much better (softer) wake with the nibrel. Who'da thunk the wake would change soo much!!

We were talking about trying to cup the old SS prop and play with it to see if we could get it to perform as well as the newly installed nibrel.

I agree NorCAl...I have never been a big fan if SS props.....but it'll make a nice spare.

thanks for the help/info...there is sooo much good info on this site.

Nibral is the way to go. Keep the SS prop as a "spare" and use it sparingly. If you are unfortunate and hit something with the SS prop you will bend other more expensive boat parts. Better to sacrifice the Nibral prop.

You can add or subtract cup to a stainless prop. You can either have a good shop do it or it can be done with the correct tools. You will make a difference in the performance of the prop. Stainless props offer a prop that distorts less than a nibral prop, thus in the days before the new generation of CNC machined nibral props with a large machined surface area, they offered a good alternative for a more powerful boat (less flex). The newer machined surface nibral props offer better "traction" and along with a couple of other advantages. A nibral prop will succumb to a debris hit and become the sacrificial component and also there were some reliability issues with a popular prop used on Malibu's (CVP) where the prop blade would separate from the hub. You can tune up the stainless prop to perform very well, but it will take a fair amount of effort.

jkendallmsce

You can add or subtract cup to a stainless prop. You can either have a good shop do it or it can be done with the correct tools. You will make a difference in the performance of the prop. Stainless props offer a prop that distorts less than a nibral prop, thus in the days before the new generation of CNC machined nibral props with a large machined surface area, they offered a good alternative for a more powerful boat (less flex). The newer machined surface nibral props offer better "traction" and along with a couple of other advantages. A nibral prop will succumb to a debris hit and become the sacrificial component and also there were some reliability issues with a popular prop used on Malibu's (CVP) where the prop blade would separate from the hub. You can tune up the stainless prop to perform very well, but it will take a fair amount of effort.

What do you use to do the cupping??.....wood block and hammer? or somehting else?