Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast Pump Install

Wake My Day

Hey Guys: I am instaing two Johnson impeller pumps from WakeMakers to fill some 1100lb bags in my rear lockers. I need to install two new fill and dump switchs. I really don't know where to grab power for these switchs and then onto the pumps. I don't want to grab power right off the batteries becasue when the key is off I don't want the pumps to be powered up. Can any one help me here. When I look at the back of the ignition switch, it's loaded with wires. I have no idea where to grab power from. The large fuse panel has open circuit breakers but they are hot all the time.

Any help would greatly appreciated.

Edited by Wake My Day

Hey Guys: I am instaing two Johnson impeller pumps from WakeMakers to fill some 1100lb bags in my rear lockers. I need to install two new fill and dump switchs. I really don't know where to grab power for these switchs and then onto the pumps. I don't want to grab power right off the batteries becasue when the key is off I don't want the pumps to be powered up. Can any one help me here. When I look at the back of the ignition switch, it's loaded with wires. I have no idea where to grab power from. The large fuse panel has open circuit breakers but they are hot all the time.

Any help would greatly appreciated.

I used one of the unused acc switches in mydash. Remove the acc switch and replace with a fill drain ballast sw from wakemakers then run the wireing. take the ground to the grounding block under the dash.

Thanks, all my switchs are used up with ballast, lights and the wedge. No spare switchs.

Edited by Wake My Day

Thanks, all my switchs are used up with ballast, lights and the wedge. No spare switchs.

Well in that case you will need a spare breaker or install another one for the circuit. Look on your divers side pannel and see if there is a spare, if not add one, that is where you will need to get your power from. There should be a heavy guage wire feeding a power block that supplies power to the breaker pannel.

To make it dependent on the ignition you may have to use a relay from the ignition to close the circuit to allow power to the ballast switch.

I ran two Johnson pumps for my system and two hot wires off the "common" post on the perko switch, and ran two in-line 15 amp fuses. This will give you a very good power source and when your batteries are turned off it will not allow power to the Johnson pumps. Definitely want to disconnect both batteries power when doing this to avoid shorting anything out. You will need to remove the 4 screws to access the perko common post on the perko switch.

I would not recommend going off any accessorie panel switches for your hot because of the AMP draw the Johnson pumps generate at startup. Also would not use any wire less than 12 gauge.

Hope this helps.... if you have any other questions, please ask.

Edited by Fman