Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Careful with this product


msuwaterski

Recommended Posts

Hey crew I just wanted to give everyone a heads up on a problem I just had with a product during my ballast install. I bought this 1" through hull and installed it this morning. Having worked with a lot of WakeMakers products and never having any problems I just went ahead and installed it without first checking the fit of the hose (1" premium hose sold by wakemakers). MY FAULT I know. :Doh: So I drilled my hole, glued it up, and installed it. Usually I would have waited for the glue to set before putting the hose on but I did not have that time luxury. Well I am glad I did not wait for the glue to set or I would have been up a creek without a paddle. The fit was not even close. I pushed, twisted, pryed, yelled at it, altered the hose opening, insulted it, and then got in a physical altercation with it before determining that it was not going to happen. :Frustrated: So I uninstalled the throughhull and shoved my hose through the opening to see if I could get it to work with more leverage outside of the boat. NOTHING! After looking at it, the barbs on the through hull were larger than the outside diameter of the hose. So I had to wittle off the barbs plus about 1mm of plastic to get the hose to fit. Keep in mind that while I am doing this there is wet glue averywhere that is making a bloody mess out of the hose, through hull, gel coat, and my hands. Anyway, I got it to fit and everything istalled and cleaned up before the glue set up but it could have been ugly.

I am sure it was just a manufacturing defect on this one part I bought, and I am sure many of the crew have installed this product without a problem, but seeing as it is ballast install season I thought I would give everyone a heads up. Always check fit of ALL products before installing them, especially if you are drilling a hole in the side of your boat!

Edited by msuwaterski
Link to comment

I had the same problem with the 1" female quick disconnect fittings, they would not fit onto the 1" black ballast hose. Finally called Jason at wakermakers and they told me you have to heat the hose up with a hairdryer and lube it and it will work. They were correct, but apparentyl the manufacturer is making the fittings 1 1/16" in diameter which is causing problems. I did not have any problems with the 1" plastic barbed fittings, they worked fine without having to heat the hose up.

Link to comment

I had the exact same thing happen to me .... I heated it up/ WD 40 and got a large socket that would fit in the hose and I had to sit there and beat the socket into the hOse to loosen the hose enough to get it on the thru hull

Link to comment

The "the heating it up" trick is the way to go. I did learn another lesson today though. You can over heat the tubbing and then it will tear while you are twisting it onto a fitting. :Frustrated:

This ballast project is taking a toll on me. I ended up in the ER today getting stitches in my finger due to an unknown assailant in the trunk of my SSlxi while trying to put the floor back in.

Link to comment

The "the heating it up" trick is the way to go. I did learn another lesson today though. You can over heat the tubbing and then it will tear while you are twisting it onto a fitting. :Frustrated:

This ballast project is taking a toll on me. I ended up in the ER today getting stitches in my finger due to an unknown assailant in the trunk of my SSlxi while trying to put the floor back in.

And, a rabies shot?

Link to comment
martinarcher

The "the heating it up" trick is the way to go. I did learn another lesson today though. You can over heat the tubbing and then it will tear while you are twisting it onto a fitting. :Frustrated:

This ballast project is taking a toll on me. I ended up in the ER today getting stitches in my finger due to an unknown assailant in the trunk of my SSlxi while trying to put the floor back in.

Been there, minus the ER. I know I should have gone several times, but I usually wash it out and tape it up for a few days. Got some nice scars from "should have been stitched" cuts.

The good news is, the wake will be totally worth the blood, sweat, and tears. Yahoo.gif

Link to comment

:plus1: That's what I did with my set-up to get 1" hose over the 1 1/8" Tsunami pump theads.

same here, I did the exact same set up, used a heating gun, soften up the tube an on it goes. of coarse I did try to do it without the heating gun first timeWhistling.gif

just fyi the hose will soften fast so be careful not to "over cook"

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...