Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HOW OFTEN SHOULD BOAT BE STARTED IN STORAGE?

Can anyone tell me how often a boat needs to be started (or flushed) when unused for 1-2 months at a time.

and dont want to winterize it or drain it for 1-2 months at a time when i am not around.

weather never reaches freezing pont here .

thanks in advance for any help !!

I wouldn't think it would need to be ran at all if the break is only 1-2 months. Just keep the batteries on a float charger and make sure have you a gas treatment in the tank (which with ethanol now days you should always add a stabil like product with each fill up).

I wouldn't think it would need to be ran at all if the break is only 1-2 months. Just keep the batteries on a float charger and make sure have you a gas treatment in the tank (which with ethanol now days you should always add a stabil like product with each fill up).

:plus1: you might also want to think about seafoam, it acts as a fogger as well as a fuel treatment.

I would want to fog the engine. As for how often you should start the engine while in storage...it is not needed at all unless you just want to hear it run.

Edited by WakingMeHappy

Draining the engine, heater & shower can take under 15 minutes when you learn how to do it & set it up right. It's just good sense if your storing the boat for that kind of time.

If your in the continental US, it gets below freezing, even occasionally.

thanks ! by foging do u mean something like a silicon spray over engine??

thks

Fogging oil, or similar, into the intake just before shutting down, Fog covers the inside with oil to prevent damage from moisture.

Just buy a can of fogging spray. Should last a couple of years or more. When you’re coming off the water and trailering the boat (and you know you’re about to store for a month or so) just spray it in the intake while you’re on the trailer before you pull it out of the water. Even if you fog the engine and go out again the next day you’re not hurting anything.

thanks , when you say intake ,would that be in the flame arrester on the monsson 340 ?? do i need to unscrew flame arrester cover to do that ?

thks

thanks , when you say intake ,would that be in the flame arrester on the monsson 340 ?? do i need to unscrew flame arrester cover to do that ?

thks

What year is your boat? Don't spray fogging oil into the intake if you have the CATS on that engine. I think they started putting the CATS on in 06.

What year is your boat? Don't spray fogging oil into the intake if you have the CATS on that engine. I think they started putting the CATS on in 06.

Good point on the CATS, I've heard that also. Otherwise, yes, spray it for 10-15 seconds right down the air intake. The engine will bog down a little while you're spraying but it shouldn't stall. As soon as you stop spraying turn off the ignition and don't restart till you're in the water next trip.

In my opinion, no need to fog for only a month or two and spraying it into the intake on a 340 Monsoon won't do you much good anyway.

In my opinion, no need to fog for only a month or two and spraying it into the intake on a 340 Monsoon won't do you much good anyway.

Make it smoke like a chimney & make pretty rainbows in the water. :crazy:

Might want to consider pulling the impeller too. More than likely it would be OK, but no sense in letting those fins staying folded over if you don't have to. It will help it to last longer.