Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G3 Ski & Knee Board Racks!!!!

BSUBU_Kris

Big thanks to my brother for helping me out with my G3 spinner water ski and knee board racks! They are totally awesome, so nice not to be digging around under seats in the boat for the skis and the knee board. Even though they are on the upper mount they still spin in just fine, so easy to deal with.

Here is a picture of the water ski rack:

DSC_8230.jpg

DSC_8233.jpg

Here is a shot of the knee board rack. It has two forks so I can still get another wake board on it above the knee board.

DSC_8229.jpg

Here is a shot with them loaded up heading out on the water today!

DSC_8234.jpg

Finally here is a shot of my Monster Tower water ski and knee board racks who bravely gave their all for the G3 rack project.

DSC_8246.jpg

Cheers!

Kris

So if I am understanding this you made custom swivel racks from hacking pieces from Monster Tower racks?

:clap: What a great idea!

Edited by skiatook_bu

Are those different from the 2011 splines from Malibu? Do you have a picture of a kneeboard fitting in there? My splines can fit surf/wake/skates in them but not kneeboards. Nice job on the modification.

I sacrificed the water ski and knee board Monster Tower racks that I had on the boat I traded in on the LSV. So yes, the splines on the G3 factory racks will not fit a knee board. We cut the Monster racks at the point where they connected to the tower which you can see in the pictures. We then made plates to weld to the end of the tubes of the Monster Tower racks. The plates we made had a bolt pattern that was the same as the forks from the factory. Removed the factory forks and bolted the modified Monster racks onto the factory G3 rack assembly. Only tough part is making sure you have the right angle when welding the Monster rack tubes to the plate. You could probably do this with several of the universal racks out there, I just happen to already have the Monster Tower racks.

My kids enjoy the knee board but there is no place to store it in the boat as it won't fit in the rear compartments or under the seats. Nice to be able to spin that rack in as the knee board is a pain to try an get in a rack that doesn't spin. I will put the wake surf on the lower rack on the same side as the water skis so there will be no problem with the ski bindings hitting the rack below. On the kneeboard side since I installed the forks with the larger opening on the bottom the wake board bindings don't hit the rack above it either. I did leave the Malibu bungee cord on the knee board rack in addition to the bungee on the Monster rack. I removed the cord from the water ski rack.

Final bonus is I can mount any of the Monster tower forks that use the triangular tube on the knee board rack as we just welded the triange Monster tube to the plate connected to the G3 assembly. The rack I have on there right now is Monster's wakeboard / surf combo rack. Our kneeboard just fits into the surf opening on that rack and I can still put a wake board above it.

I talked with a Malibu rep at one of the boat shows and they indicated they were not planning to make a ski or knee board fork that would fit the factory G3 tower rack as there just wasn't enough demand for them. Maybe I should get a production line going and offer these to the factory.

Kris

Edited by BSUBU_Kris

I sacrificed the water ski and knee board Monster Tower racks that I had on the boat I traded in on the LSV. So yes, the splines on the G3 factory racks will not fit a knee board. We cut the Monster racks at the point where they connected to the tower which you can see in the pictures. We then made plates to weld to the end of the tubes of the Monster Tower racks. The plates we made had a bolt pattern that was the same as the forks from the factory. Removed the factory forks and bolted the modified Monster racks onto the factory G3 rack assembly. Only tough part is making sure you have the right angle when welding the Monster rack tubes to the plate. You could probably do this with several of the universal racks out there, I just happen to already have the Monster Tower racks.

My kids enjoy the knee board but there is no place to store it in the boat as it won't fit in the rear compartments or under the seats. Nice to be able to spin that rack in as the knee board is a pain to try an get in a rack that doesn't spin. I will put the wake surf on the lower rack on the same side as the water skis so there will be no problem with the ski bindings hitting the rack below. On the kneeboard side since I installed the forks with the larger opening on the bottom the wake board bindings don't hit the rack above it either. I did leave the Malibu bungee cord on the knee board rack in addition to the bungee on the Monster rack. I removed the cord from the water ski rack.

Final bonus is I can mount any of the Monster tower forks that use the triangular tube on the knee board rack as we just welded the triange Monster tube to the plate connected to the G3 assembly. The rack I have on there right now is Monster's wakeboard / surf combo rack. Our kneeboard just fits into the surf opening on that rack and I can still put a wake board above it.

I talked with a Malibu rep at one of the boat shows and they indicated they were not planning to make a ski or knee board fork that would fit the factory G3 tower rack as there just wasn't enough demand for them. Maybe I should get a production line going and offer these to the factory.

Kris

Kris,

Thats interesting, I was able to fit both kneeboards in the rear ski lockers on my VLX. I would think the LSV would have even more room. You have to angle them downward to make them fit, but they do fit flat on the bottom of the ski locker. We also use the kneeboards alot for kids that cant get up on the wakeboard, and they really enjoy double kneeboarding together.

Your modification looks great, I was hoping they would come out with splines to accomodate a kneeboard.... maybe in the future sometime.

I tried to get slalom skis and wake boards in the rear compartments and they wouldn't fit. I was able to get my daughter's board in there but it is pretty small. The others were really close but just wouldn't go. I haven't tried to get a knee board in there but I have other stuff in there that would be in the way anyway. I am sure someone will come out with a knee board spline that will fit on the G3 assembly, it wouldn't be very hard to do.

Our kids love to go double in the knee boards. They use a surf board and a knee board.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Dealer told me Malibu is finally making a ski rack in 2012, should be to the dealers by the fall. Doesn't help this season, but at least they figured it out.