Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine oil and V Drive Oil Help

Ok I started my first spring maintenance on my bu I bought last year. I was able to get the old impeller out fine from tips on this site.

The problem I ran into was getting the old engine oil to drain. I made a cheap fake-a-lake from Lowes and ran the engine until it hit 160 degrees. I pulled the plug on the end of the drain hose and a little bit came out then it was just dripping out very slowly after about 2 hours there was maybe half a qt than had drained.

I also tried to pump out the tranny and Vdrive oil. The tranny pumped out fine and I was able to replace what I pumped out. I could not get any oil to suck out of the Vdrive. I was using a small tube through the dip stick on the Vdrive.

Does anyone have advice on getting the engine oil and Vdrive oil out?

Ok I started my first spring maintenance on my bu I bought last year. I was able to get the old impeller out fine from tips on this site.

The problem I ran into was getting the old engine oil to drain. I made a cheap fake-a-lake from Lowes and ran the engine until it hit 160 degrees. I pulled the plug on the end of the drain hose and a little bit came out then it was just dripping out very slowly after about 2 hours there was maybe half a qt than had drained.

I also tried to pump out the tranny and Vdrive oil. The tranny pumped out fine and I was able to replace what I pumped out. I could not get any oil to suck out of the Vdrive. I was using a small tube through the dip stick on the Vdrive.

Does anyone have advice on getting the engine oil and Vdrive oil out?

This is what I use.... spark plug boot over the suction tube of the pump which attaches to engine oil drain tube... Works great.... for v-drive oil, what v-drive do you have? If you have a walters, it will take 30w engine oil and there is a drain plug that needs to bne removed. I used an old milk jug and cut it down to catch the oil. Its a tight squeeze and have a few oil rags laying around to absorb any overflow/slop. My Supra walters Vdrive took 1/2 qt of 30w. I dont have a picture of where the drain plug is located, if I remeber correctly it is a squared off bolt at the bottom of the v-drive facing the bow of the boat.

For the engine oil suction, lift up the dipstick a few inches to get better suction and allow air to enter into the pump.

If you have not yet drained the Malibu vdrive, but its definitely not a Walters... so I wll be asking some q's on this one.

post-15179-032721900 1304208670_thumb.jp

Edited by Fman

Check this out for help with your vdrive. There is a good link to a PDF of the walters vdrive in that post.

I'm not sure why the engine oil wouldn't drain for you. Not to ask a dumb question, but was the boat on an incline? Perhaps something is clogging the hose (which obviously wouldn't be good). I'd at least try to run something up the hose and make sure it was clear.

I started off with the boat on an incline with the nose facing down the driveway. I then put the cap back on and backed into the garage on level ground, it was still just dripping very slowly. The boat is at my cabin an hour away, I just left the drain tube open and will see how much came out over the week.

I am just not sure why the engine oil wasn't flowing better.

I had the same issue draining the oil until I switched to synthetic oil. I left the hose open overnight over a bucket and in the morning the oil had drained. It seems the oil in the hose doesn't get that hot and stays thick with regular oil. Synthetic flows out very well.

Thanks for the tip. I think next time I change the oil, I will do it after i've had the boat on the water all day. That way I know it should be flowing good.

Thanks for the tip. I think next time I change the oil, I will do it after i've had the boat on the water all day. That way I know it should be flowing good.

If you get a pump you can drain the oil in about 2 minutes.... its well worth the expense, and can also be used for the transmission or vdrive.

post-15179-086854100 1304571041_thumb.jp