Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What are the advantages

drc007

I have a 97 sunsetter lx and right now it has the stock prop still On te boat . It looks to be a 3 bladed and stainless.. After adding my ballast to the boat or putting down the wedge the boat is having problems getting on plane ... I was wondering what are the advantage of getting a new prop? I mean will the boat plane better? Will the fuel economy be Better ? All I use the boat for is wakeboarding if that means anything.

I have a 97 sunsetter lx and right now it has the stock prop still On te boat . It looks to be a 3 bladed and stainless.. After adding my ballast to the boat or putting down the wedge the boat is having problems getting on plane ... I was wondering what are the advantage of getting a new prop? I mean will the boat plane better? Will the fuel economy be Better ? All I use the boat for is wakeboarding if that means anything.

Are you talking about sticking with a 3 blade, or trying a 4 blade to get you out of the hole and planed out faster? (4 blades get you out of the hole faster, but you lose top end speed).

First define "getting on plane". These boat really don't have much of a bow rise unless you have tons of weight aft. What speed are you trying to get to?

Yes I'm saying getting a four blade prop if that's what's I need ... I mean pretty much what I'm trying to do is talk myself into buying a 400$ prop.. I normally wakeboard around 23-25 mph .. I'm not worried about the top end speed at all .

Yes I'm saying getting a four blade prop if that's what's I need ... I mean pretty much what I'm trying to do is talk myself into buying a 400$ prop.. I normally wakeboard around 23-25 mph .. I'm not worried about the top end speed at all .

Yes you will have a quicker holeshot with a differently pitched prop, 3 blade or 4 blade. Do a search on this forum for either the Acme or OJ prop contacts (Eric @ OJ, can't recall Acme) and each will give you their recommended prop for your boat for how you want to use it.

Typically how much top end speed do you lose with a 4 blade prop? Someone had told me its only 3-4mph?

Or less. I went from a 3 blade Nibral to a 4 blade SS on my 205. I lost 1 or 2 mph at the top. But gained so much from 0 - 25 mph that I kept up with my buddies 190 that had a LT1 in it (I had the 265 hp TPI). His boat would walk away after 25 - 30 mph.

Need some help justifying the new prop? Is your prop the original CVP?

Read the posts about the OEM SS props on this era boat.

Here is a link to one of them

If you're getting one for that price count yourself lucky, that's cheap!

Wow thanks for the link on the stainless props .. That's scary ... I really wanted tulip I sold my Old boat before I bought a new prop And perfect pass but I may just have to break down and do it. ... Look like I would gain alot of power from 0-25 and that's all I want and in terms of safety it wouldn't be a bad idea for me to get a new prop as well

Are you talking about sticking with a 3 blade, or trying a 4 blade to get you out of the hole and planed out faster? (4 blades get you out of the hole faster, but you lose top end speed).

This is not necessarily true. The Acme 3 blade CNC prop that I have on my RLX blows my buddy's 4 blade prop out of the hole any day. Just call Acme or OJ, explain what you're doing with the boat and they will hook you up with the correct prop. A 4 blade shouldn't be necessary for a Sunsetter. If you said you have a 24LSV, then I would have a different opinion.