Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Windshield 1998 Response LX

Uncovered my boat today and the driver's side (curved) windshield was shattered. Any idea where to get one? I've hear they are hard to find. Thanks, Wood

Call your insurance company, those things are expensive.

You'll have to start with a dealer or try and find the part number on the frame and contact Taylor Made directly.

-Chris

I have a 97 sunsetter and I've been looking for a windshield and I've also been looking for a windshield ... It's tough ... People have told me to look at salvage yards and whatnot ... Goodluck on your search . Taylor made will charge a butt load for a new one FYI

While reading, keep in mind that my starboard curved glass was broken.

Process: Look on the inside of your frame at the bottom left-hand (port) side between the wing glass and the round glass. There is a Taylor Craft sticker with a 6-digit number there. Contact Taylor Made at 518-773-0636. Hit 2 then 1 for customer service and parts. (good luck getting through, their customer service is totally understaffed) Give them your Taylor Made part number and stand by for a shock. You have two options.

Option one: Disassemble your frame for the piece of glass that's broken. Box it up and ship it to them and they will put in a new piece of glass. This process takes 1 week from the time they receive the frame. You'll need a 90 degree angled phillips screwdrive to get the screws out to the right of the steering wheel (if you broke the starboard round glass). There are about 4-5 screws, that attach the windshield to the boat. They are hidden by a rubber cover on the outside of the windshield. There are several small phillips screws holding the frame together. These all come out. Two screws hold the windshield support bracket in the middle - they come out. Then you have to pull a couple of screws out of the wing frame to get it all the way out.

Option two: Have them build the frame and glass - 6 weeks.

I chose option one. Now I am going to UPS to have them custom-make a box to ship it in. Very curvy shape makes it difficult to find the right box. Ok, now for the fun part. Option one prices below:

From sticker # 621-122 747-971094, to do the glass install here are the charges:

Glass 1903484 $375.70

Labor $75

Handling $25

Shipping $150

UPS Packaging $20

UPS Overnight ? Don't know yet

You get the idea. Thank the good Lord for insurance. This will end up costing me $125 deductable. I have Progressive for my boat. $225 per year.

If you have any questions, please ask. This thread is being emailed to my phone.

Needless to say, this is a PITA! Hope none of you have to go through it.

Wood