Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

High Speed miss

My 1998 Response LX miss fires at high speeds. It does not do it all the time. It is worse after idling. I have also noticed a smell of unburnt fuel.

If you're smelling fuel then look for fuel leaks.

How old is the fuel? The poor performance could be old fuel or maybe time for a tune up.

I dont have the smell of raw fuel. More like the engine is running rich. I did put plugs in it recently.

I dont have the smell of raw fuel. More like the engine is running rich. I did put plugs in it recently.

Did you gap the plugs and torque to specs? Plug wires all secure?

Edited by eyepeeler
martinarcher

Both Bus I have owned had high speed misses if there was a bit of moisture in the fuel. I would start with a bottle of isopropyl dry gas in the tank. I use a product called Iso-Heet. It rocks. I always have a couple on the boat. You can find it at the hardware store, auto parts store, Wal-Mart, gas station, ect

41Y0SClACJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

What temp is engine at when it happens, should be 160, if not it will run rich, sensor could be bad, t stat etc.

What temp is engine at when it happens, should be 160, if not it will run rich, sensor could be bad, t stat etc.

which sensor do you think is bad?

• 5 months later...