Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

i'm a dic#he@d

bigmacholdthefries

Well i swore i never would but on saturday i left the flush tap open and the hh got a little hot Mad.gif after 1/2 an hour of scratching my head wondering why i couldn't keep the temp from rising i thought hmmm i wonder if i shut the tap oops Mad.gif , anyhow after changing the impeller ( spare one in the glove box) which was totally stuffed (yes i got all the rubber bits out of the oil cooler ) she ran like a train i just hope i haven't damaged a head gasket or a head for that matter but at this stage all seems normal (fingers crossed)

Am i on my own here ? or is this something we have all done at some stage?

Running a little hot for 1/2 hour????? Unfortunately, speaking from personal experience...that doesn't sound good. I'd be calling your dealer to set up a service appointment.

Several years ago, I was in a boat with group of people. Driver was focusing on the skier (me), the other folks in the boat etc and did not notice the rising temp gauge....

Long story short...the engine quits running and we get towed back to the dock. Cracked block and lots of head work. Not one of my better boating memories...

How hot did she get, and for how long was she up there. I used to ski at a lake with lots of moss and toolies in the fall. Got a clog bad enough once that I totally melted the impleller. I did manage to keep it under 230 and got her home. Changed the impeller, flushed the system and all was well. I did a compression check, checked the oil for water...... no issues. More info about the vitals on your boat would help.

Good luck :)

Does the beeper alarm go off for overheat, or low oil pressure, or both? Just curious. It is sorta hard to keep your eyes on the guages with all the things you have to watch out for on the water.

mac, you never said how hot it got(embarrassing I know) also, when you said it "ran like a train" is that good or bad, smooth or rough?

Like others have said or done here, check oil for water, compression check, new impeller, flush cooling system, allot and then run at the lake for a test. And I'll bet you watch your gauges from now on!

Don't our boats have "safemode"? My 96 Prostar would not go beyond idle speed if the temp was too high. Luckily I have not had to test the RLXi's protection systems yet. Biggrin.gif

mac, you never said how hot it got(embarrassing I know) also, when you said it "ran like a train" is that good or bad, smooth or rough?

Like others have said or done here, check oil for water, compression check, new impeller, flush cooling system, allot and then run at the lake for a test.  And I'll bet you watch your gauges from now on!

Ditto, that's about all you can do. You'll know soon enough if any damage occured.

When we first bought our boat the first day out our impeller went out and we didn't notice the temp rising until white with smoke and my dad says what that? I jumped up out of my seat and ran over to dash noticed the temp was pinned and ripped the keys out of the ignition. We let it cool down and tried to start it again, but it was too hot so we just let the river take us back to the dock. We got the impeller changed and have had no problems. That white smoke scared the s@&% out of me!

We had a boat once that the raw water pump bracket would loosen up stop pumping. Several times, by the time we noticed the guage or the alarm sounded, the guage was pegged. You could hear water boiling in the engine or manfolds. No damage.

As far as your dealer or Malibu goes, this is a good time to get stupid and know nothing if your having any problems.

I agree with that!! :)

We had a boat once that the raw water pump bracket would loosen up stop pumping.  Several times, by the time we noticed the guage or the alarm sounded, the guage was pegged.  You could hear water boiling in the engine or manfolds.  No damage.

I siezed my orginal engine and the gauges never went above normal temp. and the warning buzzer sounded just before the engine siezed. The block was extremely damaged and I had to get a new block. I knew it was bad when the engine shut down and I could here the remaining oil boiling in the pan.

Fries, I hope you don't have any serious damage.

Edited by Jesse
How hot did she get,  and for how long was she up there.  I used to ski at a lake with lots of moss and toolies in the fall.  Got a clog bad enough once that I totally melted the impleller.  I did manage to keep it under 230 and got her home.  Changed the impeller, flushed the system and all was well.  I did a compression check, checked the oil for water......  no issues.  More info about the vitals on your boat would help.

Good luck :)

hi guys i was only traveling at idle speed as we were in a no wash zone ,at 1st i thought it was weed in the intake ,as far as how hot i kept it under 230, i knew it was unusual from the moment it started to creep past 160 so i kept shutting her down,it wouldn't have been running at high temperature for more than 30 seconds as i was stop starting it trying to get her back to shore , after we changed the impeller and everything had cooled down she ran like a mal not a train sorry Crazy.gif i think having closed cooling may have saved me from doing more damage (fingers crossed)

My bet is Yahoo.gif She is fine Yahoo.gif Good luck

P.S. good job watching the gauges, most people don't bother til the "idiot"beeper goes off and then it is all over (just like idiot lights in a car)

The Monsoon in my '99 Response goes into limp mode when it gets hot. I know this for a fact because the first time it happened my bride tried to pull me out of the hole twice before I figured out that there was a problem. The first time I wondered why she had pulled the throttle. The second time I didn't get up before it went to idle. My impeller was shot.

As for the suggestion to rip off the dealer or Malibu - whatever floats your boat but if your integrity is worth the price of a rebuilt engine then you are the poorer for it and for couselling fraud here.

IMHO

The Monsoon in my '99 Response goes into limp mode when it gets hot.  I know this for a fact because the first time it happened my bride tried to pull me out of the hole twice before I figured out that there was a problem.  The first time I wondered why she had pulled the throttle.  The second time I didn't get up before it went to idle.  My impeller was shot. 

As for the suggestion to rip off the dealer or Malibu - whatever floats your boat but if your integrity is worth the price of a rebuilt engine then you are the poorer for it and for couselling fraud here.

IMHO

If it was me and I had to pay for the HH to get repacled/rebuilt I wouldn't "have any idea what went wrong" ;)

The Monsoon in my '99 Response goes into limp mode when it gets hot.  I know this for a fact because the first time it happened my bride tried to pull me out of the hole twice before I figured out that there was a problem.  The first time I wondered why she had pulled the throttle.  The second time I didn't get up before it went to idle.  My impeller was shot.

You want to try this one Jack? :)

You want to try this one Jack? :)

Just too much material to work with...it's like hunting over a baited field.

IMHO

If it was me and I had to pay for the HH to get repacled/rebuilt I wouldn't "have any idea what went wrong" ;)

Wrong answer. Completely unethical.

IMHO

Totally agree and not to mention you think a marine mechanic won't realize what happened.

IMHO

Totally agree and not to mention you think a marine mechanic won't realize what happened.

Having been through it myself when the mechanic started working on my siezed engine he could basically tell me everything about the engine regardless if I said anything or not and the manufacturer will be even more diligent in checking for owner abuse or neglect if a warranty claim is made.

IMHO

What a high horse we ride. I was hardly "couselling fraud", and how one deals with this depends on their relationship with their dealer. A bad place to start though, is posting one's neglegence on a forum such as this. Perhaps one of you high riders ought to do what you think is ethical and forward this thread to Mailibu so they can be on the lookout.

Big Mac, it sounds like you were cautiuos and you likely did not do any damage.

Yo thumbs - you have any trouble getting someone to stop and help you when that happened?  I'd be concerned for my safety after seeing your 'fro

Dude,

Don't dis my fro, but thanks for the concern. We were rescued by a group of locals...playing banjo music. I've tried to block it from my memory, but I do remember some guy telling me, "You've gotta pertty mouth boy......"