Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Got my new boat (new to me) 2006 247!!!

TallRedRider

I have been waiting to announce until I had some better pictures, but I ran out of patience.

I finally pulled the trigger on a 2006 Malibu 247. The previous owner was a member of this site and I saw his classified here. His name was Fresh Tracks. He bought the boat new and has taken terrific care of it, but was having a baby soon and simply was not using it enough. It only had 179 hours when I took the helm on a test drive.

It has Titan tower, 4 titan speakers on the tower with focal components on the tower and throughout the interior. There is a kicker sub and 3 odyssey AGM batteries with an onboard charger to keep them fresh. The interior sound is very loud and very clean. The tower sounds great too, but is not yet up to my standards (does anyone want 4 Titan speakers with focal components?). It will probably be replaced with a wetsounds Threesome, but still contemplating.

Hammerhead engine, power wedge. I like that the vinyl is lighter colored, that is very nice for the sunny hot area where I live (St. George, Utah)

It is missing the front ballast, for some reason he felt like he wasn't going to want it and would prefer the extra storage.

I will be installing a heater, as it does not have one. Will eventually get around to searching for an install thread on that.

Everything is in very clean condition, which made it hard to pass up. Some of you might remember my thread about the beater 247...this one is the opposite of that. It has been babied. I have only had it out once, but so far very pleased. I didn't see when I might get it out again for more pics, so I just decided to post the ones I got now.

Thanks for all the help from folks on this site and their input on getting a new boat.

smallmalibu.jpg

interior.jpg

Edited by TallRedRider

It appears that both of the 247's with the Titan tower have an annoying way that the window rests on the tower because it cannot fold all the way down. I am most afraid of cruising around with the window open (our preferred), and having a side wind catch it and slam it shut either breaking the glass or catching someone unexpectedly. It has a small rubber pad on the tower that stops it from rattling, so on calm days, it really is not noticeable. I am open to suggestions on how to secure it there so it does not slam with a snap or strap. I was thinking of some sort of bungee.. or maybe something like what is used to secure snowmobile engine covers might look reasonably non-ghetto.

Something about the tower arm angle on the Titan 3 with a 247. It does not do that on the LSV, BTW.

gloveboxandwindow.jpg

Edited by TallRedRider

Congrats ttr! Looks awesome and I'm stoked that you'll be spending more time with us. Read lots of your posts on a couple of other sites and you'll be a really valuable addition here.

I can't get over how big the interior is on a 247. Makes my boat look like a dingy!

Where do you go in St George btw? I grew up in lv and spent a lot of time in duck creek at my parents cabin as a kid...

There are 2 small lakes within 20 minutes of here. Quail Creek Reservior and Sand Hollow Reservior. They are both about 400 acres (IIRC). Most of my boating is short trips to those lakes, then some days a full day trip to Lake Mead, and then once or twice a year to Lake Powell.

You guys are fast.

The list of upgrades that she will be getting are as follows:

- Heater

- New tower speakers

- How he did not have a perko switch installed is beyond me...the boat is run all off of one battery and the stereo is run off of the 3 Odysseys which are charged only by the onboard charger, so if they die, my only option to charge them is to find a plug in somewhere. I guess I can charge them while connected to the houseboat, but that just does not quite sit right to not have the boat self sufficient. Anyone know how many amps the alternator is? I rarely sit and listen for extended periods of time, so the charging load would generally be small on the alternator. Previous owner felt like the Odysseys lasted all weekend and he never felt the urge to have them on the alternator.

- I will add additional surf ballast to the overflow of the hard tanks. Is a 750 pound sac the best?

- It currently has an Acme 537...I will try and pick up a 1235 for a spare...maybe use it if I like it better.

- Wetsounds 420 Equalizer with microphone...had it on my last 2 boats and would not live without one.

- As mentioned above, since we generally like to cruise with the center window open...I have to have a mirror that mounts to the tower leg instead of the window.

- Of course, when I signed up, I figured that every boat I owned the rest of my life would be red...I would like to add some red stripes to the boat where it currently has a grayish tan color, just above the rubrail and below the black on the side. Anyone ever buy that red vinyl tape on Ebay? This

Sounds like a good start, we will see how it goes.

Edited by TallRedRider

TTR,

Congrats or your new ride. Don't understand I have a baby and can't use the boat...All they do is sleep on it anyway...lol

Check w/ Member KB3 he added front ballast to his 247 and could help you out, liljohn added it also but to a VLX.

It appears that both of the 247's with the Titan tower have an annoying way that the window rests on the tower because it cannot fold all the way down. I am most afraid of cruising around with the window open (our preferred), and having a side wind catch it and slam it shut either breaking the glass or catching someone unexpectedly. It has a small rubber pad on the tower that stops it from rattling, so on calm days, it really is not noticeable. I am open to suggestions on how to secure it there so it does not slam with a snap or strap. I was thinking of some sort of bungee.. or maybe something like what is used to secure snowmobile engine covers might look reasonably non-ghetto.

Something about the tower arm angle on the Titan 3 with a 247. It does not do that on the LSV, BTW.

gloveboxandwindow.jpg

My 06 VLX also hits this same area.It appears yours may be way overlapping the bar but mine was just barely hitting. The pad is really meant to protect the tower when laid back on the windshield when folded down. I ground and filed the top corner of the windshield frame to miss the tower bar and swing all the way open. It is not noticeable if you repaint the edge after filing. The pad on the bar can be moved up the bar and get about another 1/4" clearance for the windshield frame to miss hitting the bar. My frame will still sometimes slightly contact the bar depending on how the bar mounted together or where the windshield has settled in. It is not consistent as to the clearance of frame to tower bar it varies. I raise and lower my tower every week and it isn't always the same clearance.

Edited by dalt1

My 06 VLX also hits this same area.It appears yours may be way overlapping the bar but mine was just barely hitting. The pad is really meant to protect the tower when laid back on the windshield when folded down. I ground and filed the top corner of the windshield frame to miss the tower bar and swing all the way open. It is not noticeable if you repaint the edge after filing. The pad on the bar can be moved up the bar and get about another 1/4" clearance for the windshield frame to miss hitting the bar. My frame will still sometimes slightly contact the bar depending on how the bar mounted together or where the windshield has settled in. It is not consistent as to the clearance of frame to tower bar it varies. I raise and lower my tower every week and it isn't always the same clearance.

Great thought there. I think that there is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch that rests on the tower there. By cutting off and filing the corner, it would then lay perfectly where it was meant to go. I do not think I would have to take so much off to get to the actual glass frame. I will look at that more closely next time I am with the boat.

Maybe it was an 06 thing. An 07 LSV I was looking at did not have this problem, but another 06 247 did have the problem. So maybe it is the year, not the model that makes the difference.

Thanks for the suggestion.

This is the 07:

post-13782-036287200 1304268167_thumb.jp

Edited by TallRedRider

There are 2 small lakes within 20 minutes of here. Quail Creek Reservior and Sand Hollow Reservior. They are both about 400 acres (IIRC). Most of my boating is short trips to those lakes, then some days a full day trip to Lake Mead, and then once or twice a year to Lake Powell.

You guys are fast.

- Heater

- New tower speakers

- How he did not have a perko switch installed is beyond me...the boat is run all off of one battery and the stereo is run off of the 3 Odysseys which are charged only by the onboard charger, so if they die, my only option to charge them is to find a plug in somewhere. I guess I can charge them while connected to the houseboat, but that just does not quite sit right to not have the boat self sufficient. Anyone know how many amps the alternator is? I rarely sit and listen for extended periods of time, so the charging load would generally be small on the alternator. Previous owner felt like the Odysseys lasted all weekend and he never felt the urge to have them on the alternator.

- I will add additional surf ballast to the overflow of the hard tanks. Is a 750 pound sac the best?

- It currently has an Acme 537...I will try and pick up a 1235 for a spare...maybe use it if I like it better.

- Wetsounds 420 Equalizer with microphone...had it on my last 2 boats and would not live without one.

- As mentioned above, since we generally like to cruise with the center window open...I have to have a mirror that mounts to the tower leg instead of the window.

- Of course, when I signed up, I figured that every boat I owned the rest of my life would be red...I would like to add some red stripes to the boat where it currently has a grayish tan color, just above the rubrail and below the black on the side. Anyone ever buy that red vinyl tape on Ebay? This

Congrats on the new boat, I know you looked for a long time.

Couple thoughts. The 537 is an awesome prop for that combo especially if you cover any water when you're out.

May want to get those batteries tested if he had them hooked up like that, there is a chance (however small it may be) that they could be damaged or shot. Need to load test them to find out, they can show full charge and charge normally but have diminished capacities. If they were getting fully depleted all the time there is a good chance they are having issues. Better to find out now than later. I agree add that perko. Alternator is 90 amps.

I'd rethink crusing with the windshield open, same issues as towing it down the road with the window open. Bad idea IMO.

If you want a true surf setup do yourself a favor and get a custom sac made and have it plumbed in, it will be hidden and you'll never go back to throwing sacs around the boat again.

Got out to the lake yesterday.

What an awesome ride. I am stoked to be back in the water.

As some of you know, with me, it didn't happen without pics.

Note that there is still a little snow on the mountains here, but water was not too bad at 62 degrees. This is a buddy of mine, who lands all sorts of crazy maneuvers.

Glad to be a Malibu owner today.

post-13782-062244500 1304613142_thumb.jp

Well that ain't no beater is right! Nice boat! I think you should install an intercom so the bow riders can communcate with the stern, that thing is huge!

Tall, what do you like better/worse than your old 45? Congrats, sweet boat btw!

I will have to compile a specific lists of pros and cons....but here's a jump start:

Better on the 2006 X45:

1. The surf wave was better out of the box, I am sure with Wheelhouse's recipe, I will get mine to work well, but out of the box, the 45 has a very nice wave.

2. The MC board racks are very nice, no bungees, and they rotate nicely.

3. The hydraulic steering is very nice, holds the boat straight, even when you let go of the wheel.

4. I like having a trim tab to put down when cruising across the lake.

5. The huge bow is very nice

6. The MC trailer seems superior to the Extreme trailer on my bu. Seemed to track straighter and pull like it was not even there.

7. The stereo was in the glove box with a small remote on the dash. I am busy enough trying to drive and direct things, that I honestly do not want the stereo in a place where I can be the only one to reach it. I am trying to avoid wally, and the kids are screaming to turn it up down, off or go to the next playlist. Others like the location of the Malibu stereo on the driver's arm rest. I will pretty well be fixing that with a WS420 soon.

Better on the 2006 247:

1. The wakeboarding wake is much better. And it is not weight sensitive like the X45. Fill the ballast, put down the wedge and it is great, every time. I ballasted my 45 a bit over stock and I swear that it would react different every time, and I consider myself a ballast freak. Never knew if it was going to be a good day or bad day with that thing.

2. The wedge is still cooler than a trim tab.

3. The huge cabin area is nice, with the trade off of the smaller bow.

4. The captain's chair on the 45 does not rotate, but the bu chair is too low to see over the windshield. I prefer the rotation. I hated when we stopped to rest and I could only look forward in the 45, or sit sideways in the chair.

5. The upholstery is probably a tossup, but I think the carpeted walls add a sense of luxury to the bu.

6. The dash on the 2006 Malibu is the coolest looking dash ever made. The switches are easy to use and right where you need them.

7. The tray over the engine is the bomb! (small things make boating more fun).

8. The X45 access doors to the rear hatches are annoyingly small. The storage was very large, but the door openings were small...I have a 5 man water weenie, and I could not get it in and out easily.

9. The retractable pylon is cool. The 45 had a removable pylon, not quite as cool.

10. Do a search on the MC site for 'fuel pump failure'. It happened to me. I am sure that it can happen in the Malibu, but it was amazing that you can make a thread with 20+ pages on it on the MC site. It is very common for MC to have a fuel pump failure if you let the gas get low.

11. I blew out a fender on the MC with a flat tire...$850 later and I had a new fender from the factory, they make them out of fiberglass and there is no other way to replace it or repair it when parts of the fender are missing. That did not include the cost of the lights, and the tread on the fender. At least if I destroy a fender on my Extreme trailer, I can count on it not costing that much.

Edited by TallRedRider

You guys are fast.

- Heater

- New tower speakers

An 1150 Pound Fly High Sac will work the best in your rear lockers. The overflow option will take a few to fill however. Your boat is beautiful. Congratulations and Cheers. If you have any setup questions related to surfing and ballast Wheelhouse can help!

were you running any additional ballast yet for surfing or just stock ballast?

Stock only, 6 adults in the boat. So I am sure it will get better. :biggrin::rockon:

An 1150 Pound Fly High Sac will work the best in your rear lockers. The overflow option will take a few to fill however. Your boat is beautiful. Congratulations and Cheers. If you have any setup questions related to surfing and ballast Wheelhouse can help!

Is that this sack? http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1813

That one says 1275 pounds.

And I will eventually plumb it in with its own pump, but might just overflow it for the summer this year.

My buddy has an Enzo sac in his 247 and the most annoying thing is that the tongue that goes under the seats is too tall and when he fills it, it bumps the seats up substantially.

Edited by TallRedRider

Great boat. Glad you like it so far.

There are plenty of threads on here about raising your driver's seat, if you are so inclined.

After seeing you on two other sites, glad to have you here on the crew. And I'm not a brand snob, either. That was a comment on your entertaining pics and threads.

Something to keep in mind is that bag is considerably heavier than 1275 lbs when full as that weight is calculated at the squared off seam demensions. If you look at the pic the bag bulges (alot) and holds much more than stated.

Edited by 06vlx