Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 VLX Transmission and V-Drive oil change

I have 2008 Malibu VLX with the Monsoon 340 and would like to change the v-drive and trans oil, but when i look in the manual is gives a few different options

ZF Hurth V-Drive

ZF Hurth Ski-Drive

Walters V-Drive

my boat is like a half hour away from me so i can't check it right now and wanted to buy the stuff before i go out there so i can't really check, i'm assuming all the 2008 VLX with the monsoon 340 have the same transmission/v-drive

so what i'm asking is what do i have in my boat? is it a v-drive + trans in one or are the seperate and what oil do i need to use

also, i have about 150 hours on it, should i be changing the spark plugs and belts as well as the flame arrester?

thanks,

Jon

You should have the ZF Hurth Vdrive unit? It takes dextron tranny fluid, same stuff goes in the tranny as well. Flame arrestor should get cleaned every 100 hours, you don't replace it you clean it. It's a K&N air filter, use the K&N filter cleaning kit to service it. Belts should be fine on that year boat with that many hours. Spark plugs should probably be changed at 100 hours as well.

Edited by 06vlx

I have the same year/make/model. There is a v-drive and a transmission but they are attached to each other, so it looks like one unit. I have the ZF Hurth model ZF 45 IV but I can't remember if it is the ski-drive of the v-drive. Both the trans and drive take Dexron III. If you have never done it before, I would do a search on this site before attempting to do it.

If this is a new to you boat, then I would change the plugs. Change the belts if they are cracked. When I read 'flame arrester' I think of the other carburated boats I had that had flame arresters over the carbs. These boats don't have that set-up. We will should have a cone shaped K&N air filter though and maybe that could be cleaned.

Thanks!! I always had it serviced at the only damn place in town (Houston, TX) that deals with Malibu boats and they charge so much it's not even funny, it's $300 for an oil/tranny change, i can't see paying that anymore, and it takes them 2 months to do it, no joke. i was out of a ski for half the summer last year because i needed an oil change.

Thanks!! I always had it serviced at the only damn place in town (Houston, TX) that deals with Malibu boats and they charge so much it's not even funny, it's $300 for an oil/tranny change, i can't see paying that anymore, and it takes them 2 months to do it, no joke. i was out of a ski for half the summer last year because i needed an oil change.

WOW WOW WOW, just to back up the (Houston, TX) Malibu dealer = it doesn't take 2 months to get an oil change, now it may take a week before you can drop off for service. But not 2 months to get an oil change after you have dropped off. Now if you had a list of other stuff to get done, like many do and had to wait on parts/ warranty parts then yes sometimes it can take a few more weeks. But in no way does it take 2 months to get an oil change. Just wanted to clear the air and back the (Houston, TX) dealer as well as many other Malibu dealers. They service over 60 boats a week and yes like all dealers they do get extremely busy during summer. Always call a few weeks before you know you need service, many service shops run great off season service discounts. $300 is not too far off many pricing and DMM actualy has one of the lowest hour rate boat shops in the Houston area. $94/ hour. :whistle:

well it did buddy, not making this up, can't stand that place (won't name names). but come on $300 for an oil change thats messed up. I lived in Michigan before moving here and had an '06 wakesetter the dealer i used Skiers Pier was AWESOME, they gave me a few changes for free just because i got the boat from them and never had to wait long... thats what i was used to

WOW WOW WOW, just to back up the (Houston, TX) Malibu dealer = it doesn't take 2 months to get an oil change, now it may take a week before you can drop off for service. But not 2 months to get an oil change after you have dropped off. Now if you had a list of other stuff to get done, like many do and had to wait on parts/ warranty parts then yes sometimes it can take a few more weeks. But in no way does it take 2 months to get an oil change. Just wanted to clear the air and back the (Houston, TX) dealer as well as many other Malibu dealers. They service over 60 boats a week and yes like all dealers they do get extremely busy during summer. Always call a few weeks before you know you need service, many service shops run great off season service discounts. $300 is not too far off many pricing and DMM actualy has one of the lowest hour rate boat shops in the Houston area. $94/ hour. :whistle:

Sorry for the bad luck, alot has changed around DMM the last year and the service has been cranking them out. As far as pricing, as we know nothing is free in this world anymore. Over all they do great work for the cards they are delt and trust me they are delt some wild cards half the time. Hope they can help you out the next time. Only reason I say all this is because I work the sales team now for DMM and want all our customers to stay happy, that said if you ever need help or have questions feel free to call up here and ask for Jason, i can help lead you in the right direction. :thumbup:

appreciate that, this was awhile ago, i'll come in next time i need anything for sure, didn't mean to bash your place or anything, was just pissed i lost some time last summer.

appreciate that, this was awhile ago, i'll come in next time i need anything for sure, didn't mean to bash your place or anything, was just pissed i lost some time last summer.

Understanding thats why we made some much needed change. Look forward to seeing you around the dealership in the future.