Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rattle near drive pulleys

Hey guys maybe I am just getting paranoid prior to our warranty ending on the 08 but I started up the boat last night in the drive with the engine compartment open and I can hear a rattle that sounds like its coming around the drive pulleys near the silent exhaust system. Its not a ticking but more of a rattle almost similar to that when you shake up a paint can. I have checked the bolts on the main drive pulley and they are plenty tight. Put it in the water and it starts and drives fine, no temp issues. Could this caused by a exhaust flapper valve or something similar??

Edited by BlitzedVLX

Hey guys maybe I am just getting paranoid prior to our warranty ending on the 08 but I started up the boat last night in the drive with the engine compartment open and I can hear a rattle that sounds like its coming around the drive pulleys near the silent exhaust system. Its not a ticking but more of a rattle almost similar to that when you shake up a paint can. I have checked the bolts on the main drive pulley and they are plenty tight. Put it in the water and it starts and drives fine, no temp issues. Could this caused by a exhaust flapper valve or something similar??

I had similar issues in my truck, it turned out to be a bad belt tensioner. Hopefully it will be something cheap/easy to fix.

:plus1: for NorcaliBu's suggestion. Also, if you want to hear the bearings running on your accessories and water pump use a long screwdriver or dowel. With the motor running, safely place it on the accessory and grasp the other end with your closed hand and place it up to your ear. You'll quickly hear if a bearing is bad...

Make sure it's not loose shaft coupling bolts. :shocked: That could be really bad. :yes:

Said he started it in the driveway so even if that were the case that wouldn't cause any sound.

OP, you need to try to locate the source. You talk about pulleys then the silent exahust system. Please pinpoint source better than that.

Just out of curiosity, how old is your gas?