Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PICS OF YOUR MALIBU BOAT ON THE WATER!

Fman

On 7/19/2020 at 9:02 PM, DGAZ said:

Lost my DJ Mavic Air in the lake a month or so back 🤦🏻 We had a huge fire just north of us and immediately cautioned restricted airspace right after takeoff... I believe so to the fire 🤷🏻‍♂️ Gave me a 15 second countdown to landing as it was over the water. It was pretty dang windy. Tried to catch it mid air last second but sliced my finger up and fell into the lake. Was a sad day! Had a bunch of stuff on the card I needed 😰 those are cool shots though. Got the new Mavic Air but not sure I have the will to put it back up there

Sorry to hear that! Hopefully your back flying over the water again soon!

I bought some ND filters and played around with the intelligent fly modes a lot this weekend so tomorrow I’m heading out again early morning hopefully with glass to do an hour of filming. Can only film during no wind conditions as landing the drone on the back swim pad during wind is very sketchy lol

BDF80611-45C2-418F-9ECF-E9302C66462D.jpeg

Edited by 2020LSV23
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ahopkins22LSV

• Stevo

• Levi900RR

• Malibuzer

7 minutes ago, 2020LSV23 said:

Sorry to hear that! Hopefully your back flying over the water again soon!

I bought some ND filters and played around with the intelligent fly modes a lot this weekend so tomorrow I’m heading out again early morning hopefully with glass to do an hour of filming. Can only film during no wind conditions as landing the drone on the back swim pad during wind is very sketchy lol

BDF80611-45C2-418F-9ECF-E9302C66462D.jpeg

That’s good advice thanks man. Good lookin setup. I just got the boat, was excited & basically all my solid judgement went out the window 🤦🏻 “Maybe you shouldn’t fly when there’s 10 mph winds pushing your boat around. Now the drone thinks home is in the middle of the lake” 😅 all good learned my lesson. My wife loved proving me wrong. She told me it was a bad idea 😅 She was right! Big fail in front of my 3 boys too ha ha. Anyhow great advice. Never fly when there’s wind 👍🏻 Have fun

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 9:02 PM, DGAZ said:

Lost my DJ Mavic Air in the lake a month or so back 🤦🏻 We had a huge fire just north of us and immediately cautioned restricted airspace right after takeoff... I believe so to the fire 🤷🏻‍♂️ Gave me a 15 second countdown to landing as it was over the water. It was pretty dang windy. Tried to catch it mid air last second but sliced my finger up and fell into the lake. Was a sad day! Had a bunch of stuff on the card I needed 😰 those are cool shots though. Got the new Mavic Air but not sure I have the will to put it back up there

I ALMOST lost my Mavic Air last week.  I was filming my niece surfing(the photos in the post above) from on the boat and I let the battery get down to the warning level, should have still had plenty of time but by the time the rider dropped the wave and my wife made it back to the downed rider and stopped the boat I was starting to push things.  I was hovering right above my hand about to grab it when RTH kicked and the thing shoots up and starts heading to where we took off (I forgot to change that setting.. opps)  I hit cancel and had control again, but as I was bringing it back down RTH kicked in again and this time the cancel button didn't do anything.  I think at some time it did give me control again and I had the sticks pushed forward and down, so the drone just flew at high speed into the lake.  It hit the water pretty hard, big splash, about 100 yards from the boat, I tossed the controller and jumped in and sprinted in the direction it went in hoping to grab it before it got too deep (clear lake, you can see down 30 ft... but its 1500 feet deep, so not getting it back if it sinks.)  As I got closer I didn't see anything in the water and figured I must have not swam straight but to my surprise when I looked up I see my Mavic Air hovering 2 feet above the water, just hanging out.  My HR was through the roof and I reached up to grab the thing and flip it over which was a success but I cut my fingers up pretty bad, one of them was bleeding and running down my arm.  Swam back to the boat, yanked the battery out and let it dry out.  Flew later in the week and somehow it seems totally fine.  The entire scene from almost landing to crashing, going under water, then hovering was all recorded, makes for a pretty entertaining video.  Learned a few lessons that day, still managed to get some good footage and the drone seems fine.

Edited by gregtay
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
59 minutes ago, gregtay said:

The entire scene from almost landing to crashing, going under water, then hovering was all recorded, makes for a pretty entertaining video. 

Can you post the video?  Asking for a friend.  ;)

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Can you post the video?  Asking for a friend.  ;)

:) Sure, let me edit it up a bit then I will post it, right now it is a really long clip.  

44 minutes ago, gregtay said:

:) Sure, let me edit it up a bit then I will post it, right now it is a really long clip.  

@Eagleboy99 here ya go.. 'cause it is fun watching a guy put his drone in the lake:) I left it a little long so you have to watch my 11 yo niece surf (I taught her last year and she only get's to surf one week out of the year... this was her second year giving it a go.

Mavic Air surfing and crashing

(if that link doesn't work let me know)

• Like 2

The kid did great!!!!  The drone footage is fun - but not that much blood.  Hardly enough for a lake shark to get excited.  :)  Glad it all worked out OK.

BTW, I was surprised to see how much water was diverted by the SurfGate.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

The kid did great!!!!  The drone footage is fun - but not that much blood.  Hardly enough for a lake shark to get excited.  :)  Glad it all worked out OK.

Yep... not as exciting as it would have been if it was someone filming me from the boat.

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

And on the gate... i dialed in my wave without worrying about the "over the gate" thing and we really love our wave as it is... but yes, we have a ton of water coming over the gate. Rear pnp we between 50-75%.. so we aren't sinking it.

On 8/8/2020 at 1:21 PM, gregtay said:

I ALMOST lost my Mavic Air last week.  I was filming my niece surfing(the photos in the post above) from on the boat and I let the battery get down to the warning level, should have still had plenty of time but by the time the rider dropped the wave and my wife made it back to the downed rider and stopped the boat I was starting to push things.  I was hovering right above my hand about to grab it when RTH kicked and the thing shoots up and starts heading to where we took off (I forgot to change that setting.. opps)  I hit cancel and had control again, but as I was bringing it back down RTH kicked in again and this time the cancel button didn't do anything.  I think at some time it did give me control again and I had the sticks pushed forward and down, so the drone just flew at high speed into the lake.  It hit the water pretty hard, big splash, about 100 yards from the boat, I tossed the controller and jumped in and sprinted in the direction it went in hoping to grab it before it got too deep (clear lake, you can see down 30 ft... but its 1500 feet deep, so not getting it back if it sinks.)  As I got closer I didn't see anything in the water and figured I must have not swam straight but to my surprise when I looked up I see my Mavic Air hovering 2 feet above the water, just hanging out.  My HR was through the roof and I reached up to grab the thing and flip it over which was a success but I cut my fingers up pretty bad, one of them was bleeding and running down my arm.  Swam back to the boat, yanked the battery out and let it dry out.  Flew later in the week and somehow it seems totally fine.  The entire scene from almost landing to crashing, going under water, then hovering was all recorded, makes for a pretty entertaining video.  Learned a few lessons that day, still managed to get some good footage and the drone seems fine.

That’s a crazy entertaining story thanks for sharing. Can’t believe you got it back. Definitely a little stroke of luck. Congratulations 

Yeah those blades can chop of fingers like chef knives. I could have probably gotten stitches but you know how guys love docs. Let me know if you ever share the video. Would love to see it 👊🏻

On 8/8/2020 at 1:21 PM, gregtay said:

Just watched ur video! That’s so crazy you got it back. The sensor must have kicked in when it hit the water 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 7/20/2020 at 9:02 AM, granddaddy55 said:

that purple is beautiful

@Kojak I've always appreciated the purple flake Malibus, but couldn't ever own one myself though being a KU alum :no:

Where do you boat in SW Kansas?

1 hour ago, carnold12 said:

@Kojak I've always appreciated the purple flake Malibus, but couldn't ever own one myself though being a KU alum :no:

Where do you boat in SW Kansas?

Contrary to what most people think, I didn't buy it because it has K-State colors. We just really like the color combo. And I love all the compliments it gets. My brother is a KU grad and always makes sure to wear a Jayhawk hat or shirt when he's in it.

There's not much around here so we go to Wilson Lake in north central Kansas every other weekend. Once in a great while to Horsethief Reservoir, but it's pretty small. 

• 2 weeks later...