Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

engine dew

infantrybu

i woke up this morning to inspect my engine compartment because tomarrow im going to winterize. As I opened the engine cover i seen my engine was covered in dew. is there some kind of lubricant i can spray on the whole engine to keep rust from coming.

You can also use a block of wood to keep the engine compartment cracked open. A little air circulation might prevent the dew from forming in the first place.

I used to soak the whole engine ares of our jet skis with WD-40 before I put them away for winter and I would also crack open the hatch and seat just so it doesn't get nasty in their.

wait, wait, I am getting a scent related memory....ummmmmm WD-40 and premixed gas mmmmmmm...... :blush:

infantry.

Whatever type of cover you have on the boat, it can breathe, right?

You didn't lay a plastic tarp right on top of the cloth cover trapping all the moisture in the trunks and engine compartment. (like I did)

I use CRC 6-56. It is a marine specific spray that protects against corrosion. Spray down under the engine box a couple times a year & you'll get the protection plus the great WD40-like smell.

Edit: Is there anyone with a dd that doesn't prop open the engine box between uses?

Edited by beef
I use CRC 6-56.  It is a marine specific spray that protects against corrosion.  Spray down under the engine box a couple times a year & you'll get the protection plus the great WD40-like smell.

Edit:  Is there anyone with a dd that doesn't prop open the engine box between uses?

I don't and don't seem to have any condensate issues. Biggest change came when I adjusted my packing nut properly and reduced my residual bilge water to just about nothing.

Edit:  Is there anyone with a dd that doesn't prop open the engine box between uses?

Ummm, ME.

I never have propped the engine box open, and never had any rust either. 7 years on my first inboard and 2 years on my second.

Interesting. I've just always propped up the cover without really thinking about it. Just looking for that extra bit of ventilation, I guess.

In certain weather conditions (during times of the year when there are wide temp swings) I get condensation on the engine anyway. No way to stop it on a cold block when the temp gets warm quickly. Still don't have any rust issues though after 7 seasons.

Interesting.  I've just always propped up the cover without really thinking about it.  Just looking for that extra bit of ventilation, I guess.

In certain weather conditions (during times of the year when there are wide temp swings) I get condensation on the engine anyway.  No way to stop it on a cold block when the temp gets warm quickly.  Still don't have any rust issues though after 7 seasons.

well, you do have a Mastercraft - it probably needs extra care. Tease2.gif

glad to see the comment was takin' in the manner it was intended.

Honestly tho, I dont know anyone that does prop their cover open. Even my buddies with MC's

Back in the prehistoric days, when DD were chic, I used to prop the engine cover on my PC Prostar open as well. I'd just put a spare bumper under the front and let the cover sit on it.

Now that I've come into the modern era and own a v-drive, no longer do it. Biggrin.gif

then you are putting uneven stess on the hinges and such. not good on a MasterCrap.

J/k, j/k.

I prop it for the winter, but not during the summer. Haven't noticed a problem. I run the blower regularly, however, and lift the cover for the first start of the day. YMMV