Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another prop question

Nicvtx

Hi guys

So as some of you know I load my boat like crazy for wake boarding and currently have the acme 1235 prop. We have recently started bare footing a lot and just love it, now when we are bare footing at 40mph the boat is revving very high,

I am trying to find the best prop for both applications, holeshot for wakeboarding and to bring the rpm down for barefooting or is this not possible?

Any input is appreciated

Cheers

Nic

One propeller cannot excell at both applications. You may find that a 14.75 X 15.5 will provide decent low end while loaded and better top end than the current prop unloaded.

I always say you have to be willing to give up some thing when wanting great hole shot and top end speed. Just can not do both perfectly at the same time. That is unless you do a under water prop change. :footing:

Dude you are on both ends of the spectrum...not sure there is a great solution. You will be giving up something either top end or whole shot depending on which prop you choose. However, Palu from Bakes did publish a nice Prop chart, do a search you will come up with it, and there are two new Acme's out which will still allow you great whole shot but take a few revs off. My VTX is screaming and my top end is 39 mph and revs are probably getting close to redline with the 1235.

i still have my acme 537 stock prop, maybe thats a bit more suited for both applications

I hate to sound like broken record because I have posted this already a couple times buutttt, The OJ Fusion worked for us much better then the 537. We did gain better hole shot and less RPM @WOT with very little top speed loss, .5 MPH. I'm not sure if the Fusion is better then your 1235 or not as I have never tried that prop, they look similar in spec. Our boats are not the same, but the Fusion worked for us when we were in your same position.

537 prop

empty 22MPH 2600RPM

empty 27.5MPH 3000RPM

empty 45.6MPH 5600RPM Rev limiter

weighted for wake/kneeboarding

22MPH 3000RPM About 5.7 sec. to get there.

weighted for surfing

10.8MPH 2550RPM

Fusion Prop

empty 22MPH 2400RPM

empty 27.8MPH 3000RPM

empty 45.1MPH 5400RPM

Weighted for Wake/kneeboarding

22MPH 2900RPM About 5.1 sec. to get there.

weighted for surfing

10.8MPH 2400RPM

I hate to sound like broken record because I have posted this already a couple times buutttt, The OJ Fusion worked for us much better then the 537. We did gain better hole shot and less RPM @WOT with very little top speed loss, .5 MPH. I'm not sure if the Fusion is better then your 1235 or not as I have never tried that prop, they look similar in spec. Our boats are not the same, but the Fusion worked for us when we were in your same position.

537 prop

empty 22MPH 2600RPM

empty 27.5MPH 3000RPM

empty 45.6MPH 5600RPM Rev limiter

weighted for wake/kneeboarding

22MPH 3000RPM About 5.7 sec. to get there.

weighted for surfing

10.8MPH 2550RPM

Fusion Prop

empty 22MPH 2400RPM

empty 27.8MPH 3000RPM

empty 45.1MPH 5400RPM

Weighted for Wake/kneeboarding

22MPH 2900RPM About 5.1 sec. to get there.

weighted for surfing

10.8MPH 2400RPM

Nice job with the data.........numbers look pretty close though....so was it worth the extra coin?

Nice job with the data.........numbers look pretty close though....so was it worth the extra coin?

Oh ya, in my mind. The Fusion feels alot faster and easier out of the hole then the .5 sec it shows. That was with only two people in the boat too and not towing anyone, it amplifies the difference when loaded with people and towing. The Fusion is also smother with the wedge down, easier to hold speed, and seems to be easier on gas when loaded. It does have a whine/hum noise to it when cruising at higher speeds thou that goes away when we switch to the 537 or 381.

haha damn i fell in love with two completely opposites.

maybe i just keep the 1235 on, flat out i get 43mph with this prop with 3 people on board

we dont barefoot for long periods of time, usually till it gets a bit rough then we wakeboard.

say a 2 min barefoot run we still watch the percentage of fuel go down fairly fast :cry:

Woodski is correct, adding cup would help. Standard cup is .080" I believe, where as you can get a prop cupped up around .105" or .150", I've forgotten which. The cup will help alot at high speeds without hurting the low end. Lately I've been gravitating towards larger wheels and less cup for purely barefoot, but in a one-size-fits-all requirement added cup is a must.

Peter

Woodski is correct, adding cup would help. Standard cup is .080" I believe, where as you can get a prop cupped up around .105" or .150", I've forgotten which. The cup will help alot at high speeds without hurting the low end. Lately I've been gravitating towards larger wheels and less cup for purely barefoot, but in a one-size-fits-all requirement added cup is a must.

Peter

We added cup to our 537 at one point and it seemed to vibrate when loaded with the wedge down. They said it had something to do with the trust against the wedge? We did loose about 200 rpm and WOT, picked up about .5 MPH, but seemed to loose a little hole shot plus the vibrating that was annoying. We ended up putting it back to stock. We tried .130 cup as they told us they thought the .150 that i had seen on some of Acme props was a bit too much and would cause a vibration, they was right about the vibration but it was at less cup then they thought. Has anyone tries one of the .150 cup props? Again they said it had to do with the pitch and diameter of the prop also. I think the vibration was from it starting to cavatate!