Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil change without a drain tube

This is a fun post!

So Dudes and Dudettes, a solution (in the future) for directing oil in a tight space is aluminum foil. I use it on my 4 stroke quads to drail the oil and direct it towards a place where I can get it into a pan or bottle. I also put it under my oil filters as I remove them, as you can quickly mold it to fit your space (and make a small "bowl") and then throw it away afterwards. Just make sure you don't pinch it in the new filter gasket as you put it back down.

For large amount of oil, I'd use two layers of foil, and fold the edges to make it a little more ridged.

Lastly, for what it's worth, my '98 has the oil drail tube, but I have an electric pump that goes down the dipstick. It clips onto the battery for power, it is awesome. Works for oil, tranny fluid, differentials, etc.

good idea

jkendallmsce

I really dont want to add fuel to this fire but...

My 93 Skier does not have a drain hose, and I know of at least a handfull of old Skiers / SS's on this board who are in the same boat.

Just sayin... :whistle:

The 1990 skier on our ski lake does not have a drain hose.

We have to vacuum out the oil...what was Malibu thinking???

My 98 VLX has a drain tube, but I think you might have something with the engine change. I had a buddy that had to have an engine change and the dealer did not replace the drain tube. {plug only} It was an easy fix, you should be able to get the fitting at your dealer.

Good Luck

CB

Not necessarily insulted by being called a dude...more the implication that I am too stupid to drain oil....I know exactly where the drain plug is. There is no tube on it nor was there one on my 2000 sportster. There is one on my 2008 V drive. I was looking for an inventive way to do it on Easter Sunday ...and hoped someone on here could help with something they had figured out in the past. Because that is the awesome thing about this board...people who have already figured out what I am trying to figure out....

Perhaps saying "too old" is a mistatement. I wouldn't doubt that the dealer who messed it up in the first place...just simply didn't put the drain hose on the new engine. The engine is an Indmar...it was replaced by a dealer (prior to my purchase) when the dealer "forgot" to winterize it. It is now a 350 monsoon because the dealer claimed the original size was no longer available.. This is a second boat for me (third time owning a Malibu).

Thanks for those who posted nice answers....

Sincerely,

Dudette

My 97 Echelon did not have a bilge drain tube - 350 Mercruiser 265 HP.

So I bought this pump:

JAB34060-0130.jpg

The threaded end that looks like a garden hose coupling screws down onto the dipstick (the Mercruiser has a fitting that matches - my new Hammerhead does not). This pump works awesome. I start the engine on a fake a lake or run the boat at the lake and change the oil when I get home. It flows easy when hot. Not so much when cold. Hold the housing of the pump with a rag. it is metal and when the oil is hot the pump will get hot too.

Good luck!

-- Mike

PS - Now that I think about it, maybe it did have a drain hose but was plugged or would not flow oil - cannot recall it has been a few years. ANyway, this pump worked great.

One other option is to triple-layer hefty trash bags in the bilge and drain the oil into the bag (but not when hot of course - might melt plastic bag). Then CAREFULLY slide bag out of bilge and drain bag into catch pan once clear of the boat. Had to do this on our old mid 80s runabout when I was a kid. This process taught me the art of cussing at a young age. :-)

Edited by EchelonMike

Hopefully to help paint a picture, the three (93,94 and 95) Echelon's (Mercruisers) have an oil drain tube installed on the bottom face of the oil pan near the rear part of the bottom flat. The 96 and 97 Response's I know of (Indmars) both have oil drain tubes also. I would surmise that the drain tube was not installed on the replacement engine. My guess would be that a non marine short/long block was used as the replacement base. In that case, no drain tube would have been on the oil pan. The location of the drain plug will also give you a hint on origins of the pan. FYI, if you google Mercruiser parts, you can hone in on a site that has Mercruiser parts break down drawings and the oil pan drawing includes the drain tube. Good luck.