Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil change without a drain tube

Ok we tried a hand pump down the dipstick and couldn't get it flowing....so on a 1999 Malibu with no drain tube, if we take the nut out of the bottom how do we change the oil? With only a two inch (or so) clearance there is no way to put a pan under there...surely there is a way to do this????

What type oil extractor did you use? Thru the oil dipstick? Did you try thru the oil fill opening?

When you say you couldnt get it flowing...not at all? or just slow..

The oil extractors with those thin sucker tubes are much more effective when the oil is or or even hot...much more viscous...so if you can, run the engine for 5-10 mins and the oil will be much easier to extract.

Tried it thru the dip stick....it was a hand pump....so when you say thru the oil fill ...do you use the fatter tube instead of trying to attach the thin tube..I think the problem is air between the thin dip stick tube and the fatter tube even though we had an adapter

What type oil extractor did you use? Thru the oil dipstick? Did you try thru the oil fill opening?

When you say you couldnt get it flowing...not at all? or just slow..

The oil extractors with those thin sucker tubes are much more effective when the oil is or or even hot...much more viscous...so if you can, run the engine for 5-10 mins and the oil will be much easier to extract.

Google the Pela 6000 oil extractor. I know a bunch of folks that have them and these work like a champ. It will def get your oil out.. either thru the distick or thru the oil fill, either way. There are a ton of oil extractors out there folks have experience with, I know this one well, and it works great. 6000=6 liter capacity, you can get a bigger one, 8L, or fill this one, dump it and then go back to finish.

still though, with 15W oil, it'll come out easier if the oil is warm or hot. Also, jack the front of the boat up some after you think you go it all and you might be able to get a little more.

Ok we tried a hand pump down the dipstick and couldn't get it flowing....so on a 1999 Malibu with no drain tube, if we take the nut out of the bottom how do we change the oil? With only a two inch (or so) clearance there is no way to put a pan under there...surely there is a way to do this????

dude, have to ask, have much experience with mechanics? first you say no drain tube which I find unbelievable, and now you weren't able to suck the oil out with a pump? Is there someone you know who can help you?

Another issue I noticed..... I don't think it's possible to drain the oil thru the oil fill. Usually this is a cap on the valve cover. So you'd be jamming the drain tube down thru the top of the head, into the piston. :Doh:

Drain it thru the dipstick tube with an oil extractor like this.

31RFGF1HlmL._SS500_.jpg

I'm with 85 on this too..... there is no way your engine doesn't have a drain hose on it. Can you reach down there & find the drain plug on the bottom side of the oil pan?

Too old for drain hose...they just didn't do it on those years...Broke down and bought an extractor...it's going now...thanks for all the advice.

Another issue I noticed..... I don't think it's possible to drain the oil thru the oil fill. Usually this is a cap on the valve cover. So you'd be jamming the drain tube down thru the top of the head, into the piston. :Doh:

Drain it thru the dipstick tube with an oil extractor like this.

31RFGF1HlmL._SS500_.jpg

I'm with 85 on this too..... there is no way your engine doesn't have a drain hose on it. Can you reach down there & find the drain plug on the bottom side of the oil pan?

Dude, I am not a dude. It was Easter Sunday and the piece of crap I had was a hand pump and just didn't cut it...didn't get done on Sunday is running now.

dude, have to ask, have much experience with mechanics? first you say no drain tube which I find unbelievable, and now you weren't able to suck the oil out with a pump? Is there someone you know who can help you?

Too old for drain hose...they just didn't do it on those years...Broke down and bought an extractor...it's going now...thanks for all the advice.

Dudette, my apologies.

I used to have a 1999. I currently own a 1985. I seen have hundreds of engines. You're statement that it's "too old for a drain hose" is completely incorrect. I don't know from where you heard that you don't have a drain hose but trust me, unless something is one-off about your engine, you have a drain hose! It is not a new invention. I have a hand pump. It is also a piece of crap. However, it will extract oil just fine. With all due respect, I'd suggest you go to your local dealer and pay someone to help familiarize you with the mechanical operation of your boat. If you're unable to locate your drain hose or extract your oil with a hand vac pump, you're going to get yourself into trouble.

I really dont want to add fuel to this fire but...

My 93 Skier does not have a drain hose, and I know of at least a handfull of old Skiers / SS's on this board who are in the same boat.

Just sayin... :whistle:

Edited by Levi900RR

I really dont want to add fuel to this fire but...

My 93 Skier does not have a drain hose, and I know of at least a handfull of old Skiers / SS's on this board who are in the same boat.

Just sayin... :whistle:

I believe you. But saying a 99 is "too old for a drain hose" isn't right, either.

But, for fun lets see if we can figure this out....you have a mercruiser in your boat?

Weird. My old 94 had a drain hose. :Doh:

BTW, there is nothin your posts or your profile to indicate that you are a dude or a dudette. So please don't be offended when we screw it up.

I believe you. But saying a 99 is "too old for a drain hose" isn't right, either.

But, for fun lets see if we can figure this out....you have a mercruiser in your boat?

Yes Sir it is.

I'm trying to dig up some pics of my engine compartment to see if I have any of the oil pan.

Edited by Levi900RR

Yes Sir it is.

I'm trying to dig up some pics of my engine compartment to see if I have any of the oil pan.

Well, maybe this is a mercruiser issue....can anyone say when mercruiser started using a drain hose?

Not necessarily insulted by being called a dude...more the implication that I am too stupid to drain oil....I know exactly where the drain plug is. There is no tube on it nor was there one on my 2000 sportster. There is one on my 2008 V drive. I was looking for an inventive way to do it on Easter Sunday ...and hoped someone on here could help with something they had figured out in the past. Because that is the awesome thing about this board...people who have already figured out what I am trying to figure out....

Perhaps saying "too old" is a mistatement. I wouldn't doubt that the dealer who messed it up in the first place...just simply didn't put the drain hose on the new engine. The engine is an Indmar...it was replaced by a dealer (prior to my purchase) when the dealer "forgot" to winterize it. It is now a 350 monsoon because the dealer claimed the original size was no longer available.. This is a second boat for me (third time owning a Malibu).

Thanks for those who posted nice answers....

Sincerely,

Dudette

Not necessarily insulted by being called a dude...more the implication that I am too stupid to drain oil....I know exactly where the drain plug is. There is no tube on it nor was there one on my 2000 sportster. There is one on my 2008 V drive. I was looking for an inventive way to do it on Easter Sunday ...and hoped someone on here could help with something they had figured out in the past. Because that is the awesome thing about this board...people who have already figured out what I am trying to figure out....

Perhaps saying "too old" is a mistatement. I wouldn't doubt that the dealer who messed it up in the first place...just simply didn't put the drain hose on the new engine. The engine is an Indmar...it was replaced by a dealer (prior to my purchase) when the dealer "forgot" to winterize it. It is now a 350 monsoon because the dealer claimed the original size was no longer available.. This is a second boat for me (third time owning a Malibu).

Thanks for those who posted nice answers....

Sincerely,

Dudette

Glad you got it figured out.

No implication that you were stupid, there was an implication that if you couldn't find your drain hose or suck your oil out with a hand pump that you could benefit from someone going over the engine with you, advice which I stand by. You never said a replacement engine, just that engine was too old for one, which is incorrect. That said, these engines are shipped to Malibu (and dealers) with drain tube in place. Have you now installed a hose? Can you post a picture of the pan? I for one am intrigued by the prospect of seeing a new monsoon without an oil drain hose.

There was a guy I worked with named Shannon. He was very helpful as a shipping clerk. Lots of emails to dispatches about their schedules and drivers. One day there was one that kept emailing him, getting friendly. Shannon was just agreeing, trying to be helpful. Then the guy asked him to meet saying something like "If you're as pretty as you write, we'll have a good time". Shannon replied "Dude...I'm a dude." That dispatch was never heard from again!

...There is no tube on it nor was there one on my 2000 sportster...

:unsure: Where are you getting these boats without oil drain hoses? :dontknow:

My 2000 Sporty has one as does my buddy's 99. Weird.

Glad you got it worked out. When you have the oil pan empty you should toss a couple of oil absorbent pads in the bilge, remove the drain plug, and install a plug/drain hose combo.

Perhaps you already figured this out - didn't read all the responses. Your hand pump can work for you just fine. I had the same issue with my hand pump that pulled from the dipstick as well until I discovered the following trick.

Put the tube all the way down as far as you can go. Have another person start pumping until there is pressure built up (in my case I couldn't even pump it after a while because i had so much pressure (or lack of pressure) built up. Now take the tube running into the dipstick and pull it out about an inch and then push it back in, pull it out, push it in, pull it out, push it in. You should notice that if you keep jiggling the tube (no just pulling it out an inch is not enough, for some reason you need to keep massaging it) you'll get your oil out in no time.

Of course the oil drain line is the way to go, but this way worked fine for me for years before i got my LSV. Cheers!

This is a fun post!

So Dudes and Dudettes, a solution (in the future) for directing oil in a tight space is aluminum foil. I use it on my 4 stroke quads to drail the oil and direct it towards a place where I can get it into a pan or bottle. I also put it under my oil filters as I remove them, as you can quickly mold it to fit your space (and make a small "bowl") and then throw it away afterwards. Just make sure you don't pinch it in the new filter gasket as you put it back down.

For large amount of oil, I'd use two layers of foil, and fold the edges to make it a little more ridged.

Lastly, for what it's worth, my '98 has the oil drail tube, but I have an electric pump that goes down the dipstick. It clips onto the battery for power, it is awesome. Works for oil, tranny fluid, differentials, etc.