Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine size and starter problem

Two kind of strange questions...just bought a new to me 1999 malibu....dealer forgot to winterize and put in new engine for original owner...how can I tell the engine size?

Also the started spins when turning the key...I can see it has a washer on it --it doesn't appear to be a lock washer --wonder why and should I install a lock washer to get the whole starter to quit spinning? Kind of hard to get a tool in there to even tighten what is there...ideas?

Ok so I finally found the serial # but I can't read it all it does say 350 MN -- is that a 350 monsoon?

Also says 0510465R and ?993947 (can't read what is in front of the 9)

Two kind of strange questions...just bought a new to me 1999 malibu....dealer forgot to winterize and put in new engine for original owner...how can I tell the engine size?

Also the started spins when turning the key...I can see it has a washer on it --it doesn't appear to be a lock washer --wonder why and should I install a lock washer to get the whole starter to quit spinning? Kind of hard to get a tool in there to even tighten what is there...ideas?

Almost every Malibu made in that era will be powered by a GM 350 block, a picture would help us tell you the model.

Need more info on the starter, no idea what you're talking about.

I guess it would be more appropriate to say the "key slot"...not starter per say...it causes the whole thing behind the key slot to spin

Almost every Malibu made in that era will be powered by a GM 350 block, a picture would help us tell you the model.

Need more info on the starter, no idea what you're talking about.

I guess it would be more appropriate to say the "key slot"...not starter per say...it causes the whole thing behind the key slot to spin

Ah... the ignition switch is loose and spinning. :Doh: I was trying to picture the starter "spinning" and a washer... :crazy:

Doesn't it insert from the backside and have a threaded collar on the front? If so, tighten that front collar.

What NorCaliBu said. I have to tighten the collar on my boat every couple of months when it gets loose. You can also hold the back side of the switch when you twist the key.

Well, what size is the engine? Geez, leave us hanging, lol.

It was kinda funny timing with your question. I was out tightening my ignintion switch lock-nut while you were typing your question, ha ! Oh, you may want to turn off your battery switch, or disconnect while you do it.

Probabaly a common issue.

Steve B.

It was kinda funny timing with your question. I was out tightening my ignintion switch lock-nut while you were typing your question, ha ! Oh, you may want to turn off your battery switch, or disconnect while you do it.

Steve B.

Funny you mention it, last year we took my Dad's boat from his home lake to a chain, which is fairly common for him. Ran the boat across his lake no problem, loaded it on the trailer, rinsed the bilge with the garden hose, pulled the plugs and took it to the chain. Got there and put the plugs in, dropped it in the water, pushed it away from the dock and turned the key....nothing. After a few turns the ignition cylinder started to turn as well. So I reached up behind there and held it with my wet hand to tighten the front nut. I was greeted with the 12 volt tingle that some of you may know so well. So turn off your battery switch, disconnect the battery, or wear some nice rubber gloves. It doesn't hurt, just feels funny.

OBTW, the throttle was bumped into gear. :Doh:

LOL Sorry 350 Monsoon

Steve B.