Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop removal for dummies

I have never removed a prop before and am going to be switching out the stock Malibu VLX prop with the OJ XMP Edge 529 wakeboard prop. I had a few questions I wanted to ask, sorry for the basic questions, have never done this before. I am using the ACME prop puller...

1. After removing cotter pin, when removing the prop nut, to stop shaft from moving, do you just hold the prop with your hand? (wearing gloves)???

2. After prop nut is removed, do I leave the prop nut on the shaft half way on or completely remove it before installing the ACME prop puller?

3. Prop puller pressed up against strut housing, this will not damage the strut housing at all?

3. I heard you can hammer on the prop puller a few times to break it loose, from the front of boat to back, is there a certail spot you need to hit it on?

4. Prop nut torque spec is 35 lbs? This is what I was told.

5. Can I re-use the prop nut? Its only two months old, but the kit does have a new one.

6. Is there anything else I should be aware of, dont want to damage anything.

7. When installing new prop, can I use regular automotive grease on the shaft to make the next removal a little easier?

Thanks again for any feedback.... I really appreciate the help.

Edited by Fman

I have never removed a prop before and am going to be switching out the stock Malibu VLX prop with the OJ XMP Edge 529 wakeboard prop. I had a few questions I wanted to ask, sorry for the basic questions, have never done this before. I am using the ACME prop puller...

1. After removing cotter pin, when removing the prop nut, to stop shaft from moving, do you just hold the prop with your hand? (wearing gloves)???

That would work, I just held the prop

2. After prop nut is removed, do I leave the prop nut on the shaft half way on or completely remove it before installing the ACME prop puller?

Back the prop nut off but leave it on the shaft about half way, the prop puller will only contact the prop and the prop nut, not the shaft

3. Prop puller pressed up against strut housing, this will not damage the strut housing at all?

see no. 2

3. I heard you can hammer on the prop puller a few times to break it loose, from the front of boat to back, is there a certail spot you need to hit it on?

shouldn't need to hammer anything, but you could use a rubber hammer if you had to

I have no idea, but that sounds good

5. Can I re-use the prop nut? Its only two months old, but the kit does have a new one.

no reason to not to re use the prop nut. The spare is there for you after you drop the original in the lake

it shouldn't take much force to get this done

7. When installing new prop, can I use regular automotive grease on the shaft to make the next removal a little easier?

you could, but it is not necessary

I am surprised no one noted there is a "how to" article for changing props here, 10th one down the list:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/page/articles.html

Edited by MalibuTime

From my experience, you need to give the puller a couple of good whacks with a 5 pound hammer. If you don't, you risk stripping the threads on the puller. (I've done that too)

I would recommend that you have something to protect in case the prop pops off and falls off the shaft. I'd use a towel or cardboard to protect the prop from hitting the support trailer beam under the prop or hitting the ground. Some props pop off with little ease while others are a bear.

Just finished up installing the OJ XMP Fusion 532, thanks Eric and other members for all the feedback. Leaving the nut on the shaft definitely a good idea, that sucker popped right off the shaft.... prop puller seemed to work great.

For members doing this in the future, one step I would recommend is after removing the old prop, take out the key and slide the new prop on the shaft and mark with a Sharpie where the prop should end up after seeting on the tapered shaft. This will allow you find out if the key is interfearing with the prop fully seeting against the shaft.

Eric from OJ props also recommended no grease for people using in freshwater.

Edited by Fman