Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exhaust Project - with flyby vids

martinarcher

martinarcher

Well I got the cooling water all hooked up and everything looks, works, and sounds awesome! A couple quick revs in the driveway put a big smile on my face. Can't wait to hear it in the water. As you can see in the bit I stuck the camera in the boat, the downslope of the exhaust in out inboard boats really amplifies the water acting as a muffler since the water actually hangs near the 45* coupling since it is lower than the tips when the boat is floating or on the trailer. Under way, the tips will be lower.....and the exhaust louder. Biggrin.gif I can't wait to hear it in tow! Rockon.gif

• Like 1
martinarcher

That is so sweet... Nice work man :rockon:

Thanks man!

that's kind of wild that you can see the water accumulate/purge in the muffler.

looks great.

I know it. I thought that was kind of neat. Certainly shows how much water is in the exhaust and how much it really does quiet down the exhaust at idle since that is nothing more than a straight 4" piece of fiberglass.

Edited by martinarcher
martinarcher

Added another video as tonight was our first night out with the new exhaust. It rocks!!Rockon.gif It sounds fantastic. Much deeper tone than before. It is louder as well, but certainly not overbearing. It would turn your head if your a motor head like me. Biggrin.gif

What I can't believe is how much faster the boat pulls out of the water with the wedge down! I actually gained 3 mph on the top end as well! I'm pumped with the install and very happy with the performance outcome. The video doesn't do the sound justice, but gives you an idea.

Let me know what you think!

• Like 1

Matt....that thing sounds great!!!

It really gets me thinking about doing something like that to my boat. The performance gains sound like they're well worth the effort.

Again, great job!

martinarcher

Matt....that thing sounds great!!!

It really gets me thinking about doing something like that to my boat. The performance gains sound like they're well worth the effort.

Again, great job!

Thanks man. Yeah...the performance gains certainly did make it worth it. I was prepared to re-prop the boat to help with the wedge this year, but I'm going to play it by ear. I think the little bit of extra horsepower has made it unnecessary.

Nice little giggle! Sounds great. Are all of us slightly "special" for loving our toys so much? :crazy:

LOL.gif I couldn't help it. It just makes me smile.....and giggle a bit! Yeah I think we are a special breed. Whistling.gif

The Setter sounds great. Really love how the tips look with the curved wedge bracket. All the pieces have come together -- and looks like a factory option to me. Perfect.

It's hard to tell from video -- is it significantly louder, or just that much throatier?

you did a great job, thatks for doing all of the R&D and making it available to us. I finished my exhaust project yesterday and cannot wait to get her into the water :clap:

Very nice. Getting a noticeable performance gain makes it even better.

Were you going for the performance gain or was this project age induced?

martinarcher

The Setter sounds great. Really love how the tips look with the curved wedge bracket. All the pieces have come together -- and looks like a factory option to me. Perfect.

It's hard to tell from video -- is it significantly louder, or just that much throatier?

Thanks man. I'm really happy with it all around. Stainless Marine certainly makes an awesome product.

A bit of both actually. The volume increase is noticeable when your riding, but it certainly isn't annoying at all. It is actually exactly what I was hoping for. The thoatier sound is really noticeable in the boat as the air packet forms behind the transom when coming on plane. Rockon.gif It makes my Wetsounds sound a bit quieter form the drivers seat too. LOL.gif

you did a great job, thatks for doing all of the R&D and making it available to us. I finished my exhaust project yesterday and cannot wait to get her into the water :clap:

No problem. Glad it helped! You'll have to post some pics of your set-up too. Did you use the same manifolds?

Very nice. Getting a noticeable performance gain makes it even better.

Were you going for the performance gain or was this project age induced?

A bit of both actually. The port side manifold had a breach in the outer jacket form rusting over time. 24 years isn't too bad for a set of cast manifold IMO. I felt the boat needed a bit more power with the wedge and ballast we were running. I like to view a component failure as an opportunity to upgrade that component.....and that component happened to be attached to the rest of the exhaust so what the heck - change it all right? LOL.gif