Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exhaust Project - with flyby vids

martinarcher

martinarcher

Well, the exhaust project has started! Yahoo.gif Almost got all the parts and have started bolted everything together. The manifolds are on and I've got the "mufflers" I made done. Woodski and I have been shooting emails back and forth. He's shared a lot of great info on his set-up and I took a lot of his advice including the muffler design. Everything is 4" from the mani's back. The "mufflers" are 1/8" stainless plate cut into 4" circles with 4 tabs that are bent back over the exhaust tube. There is a half moon cut out of the circle for the exhaust gas to flow through. I still need to cut slots in the bottom of two of the muffler plates to allow water to pass through the solid half. The design allows me to slip the coupling over the end of the exhaust tube and capture the muffler. Basically the idea is to keep the line of sight broken for the sound waves to exit the exhaust. If you shine a light up your exhaust, you'll see a similar design, but a bit more restrictive. Still waiting on my stainless tips! Thumbup.gif

Now for the good part.....

Existing exhaust....

P4160097-1500.jpg

P4160095-1500.jpg

P4160094-1500.jpg

P4030089-1500.jpg

Old mani's off...

P4160100-1500.jpg

P4160109-1500.jpg

P4160111-1500.jpg

Edited by martinarcher

before you cut slots, have you considered rotating the muffler 90 degrees so that the straight line that forms the half-moon is vertical instead of horizontal?

looks like a fun project. good luck.

Looks great, nice work. The orientation doesn't really matter as long as there is a slot/hole for the water to escape at some point, really the only concern is winter storage. The water mixing also acts as a noise barrier. It will sound great when he hits the water.

PS: You will need to either paint your valve covers or get some swoopy polished ones!!! Cherry red covers would look pretty cool.

Edited by Woodski

Looks great, nice work. The orientation doesn't really matter as long as there is a slot/hole for the water to escape at some point, really the only concern is winter storage. The water mixing also acts as a noise barrier. It will sound great when he hits the water.

PS: You will need to either paint your valve covers or get some swoopy polished ones!!! Cherry red covers would look pretty cool.

I vote for red, biring the color of the vinyl down into the engine compartment.

Something else on the todo list.....I gotta quite coming here. :crazy:

Edited by REW
  • Haha 1

The guy we bought our boat from years ago pulled the mufflers and ran a straight pipe out the back. I loved it, my dad made the mufflers being installed a condition of the sale.

martinarcher

before you cut slots, have you considered rotating the muffler 90 degrees so that the straight line that forms the half-moon is vertical instead of horizontal?

looks like a fun project. good luck.

That's a good idea. It will save me cutting more stainless and do that same thing!

martinarcher

I like the idea of powder coated red valve covers! Rockon.gif That would look sweet! Might have to do that once I get new heads. Thumbup.gif

martinarcher

I got a package in the mail today from Stainless Marine. The tip look amazing. The welding is perfect and I'm happy to report they are made perfectly to my drawing. Rockon.gif

Did some test fitting tonight, but I still need to find something to clean the rest of the old silicone off the transom. rugger went all out with the silicone on the old tips. LOL.gif

Here's pics of the test fit.....

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0216.jpg

P4250125.jpg

P4250127.jpg

P4250126.jpg

martinarcher

P.I.M.P! Wow that is one bad a** Setter! Nice work..can I ask how much?

Thanks man. They ended up being $170 a pop and have an internal stainless flapper. Their off the shelf tips won't work on the older Bu's since they have the recessed pocket in the transom for the exhaust. The pocket limits the flange diameter to 5 3/4" inch. Their off the shelf tips have a 6 1/2" flange.

Thanks man. They ended up being $170 a pop and have an internal stainless flapper. Their off the shelf tips won't work on the older Bu's since they have the recessed pocket in the transom for the exhaust. The pocket limits the flange diameter to 5 3/4" inch. Their off the shelf tips have a 6 1/2" flange.

sniff sniff sniff....

I smell a possible GB... :rockon:

FYI: the stainless flappers do nothing for noise suppression. As noted, for the gearheads on the post, it does sound amazing w/o mufflers, but not very practical for everyday use particularly if you hit the water early and no other boats are out.

Tips look great, you will like them. If you have hard water that dulls the finish, toilet bowl cleaner works great (need the gel "works" brand) to restore the original shine.