Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

NEW BOAT PLZ HELP!

andrewkd16

Ok I am looking to get a used malibu boat. Cant afford a brand new one...things are e.x.s.p.e.n.s.i.v.e :) I am trying to figure out which one to get...I am new to boating too so what should I go with? I do it all really: wakeboard, ski, tube, kneeboarding, wakesurf, etc. So I want to choose the right boat that can give me the best for all around. I have been looking t a 2005 Malibu Wakesetter 21 XTi with 300 hours. Will that give me a decent wake for wake boarding/surfing? While being good for tubing, skiing, and knee boarding? I mean I dont want HUGE wakes cause by all means I am no Pro at any of it lol. About 6 people would go so I would like to fit everyone comfortable and still having space for everything. So would this be a good starter boat?

What should I ask seller about maintenance? I have no clue about these boats are they high maintenance? Is 300hrs too many? Just want to make sure it is a good boat.

1st, welcome the the Crew. When you read the threads just remember many of us a really children living in an adult body. That's why we buy boats. So, with that said.......

Yes, the Wakesetter will give you a decent wake. What is the ballast set up. For skiing, is it for fun or are you running a slalom course? For tubing...buy a Bayliner as the tube boat. :) What kind of price range are you looking at? For maintenance, read through the resource forums. You will find a lot of information on buying a boat.

MalibuNation

:welcome:

I'm spoiled with my 2003 Sunscape LSV, great all around boat. With the diamond hull I get a great ski wake ... and load it up when I want a large wake.

I would certainly ask about all maintenance ... anyone who cares about things they own keep good records. 300 hours isn't a lot for these engines.

When you decide on the length of your boat think of where you want to store it ... i.e. will it fit in your garage?

Do you have a link for the boat you're looking at?

First of all, WELCOME! Second of all, great work on looking at buying a Malibu!

You can tell a good deal about the maintenance history of a boat by the way the interior and exterior looks. If the upholstry, carpet, gelcoat, etc. look pretty clean, then chances are the owner took care of the boat elsewhere. I would ask the seller how often they changed the oil and impeller, their winterization methods, and where they stored it yearound (inside/outside). But really, the best possible thing you can do is take it for a water test. Get out on the water and ski, wakeboard, tube, fill all the ballast tanks, push every button, check every light, overall just see if you enjoy being in/behind the boat. The XTIs won't have the interior space of a v-drive, so 6 people with all the gear could start to get cramped. I think if you looked for a sunscape or even a wakesetter with a v-drive and a diamond hull, you would be happy. There are quite a few folks on here that have the diamond hull and love it.

Happy hunting!!!

My only advice would be as follows... if this is your first boat, you are not really sure what you will be in to in a couple yrs...mainly talking about wakesports...when you start getting out on the water, your going to make new friends out there, many with wake boats as you are considering a Malibu, and they will intro you into more and more stuff...

do you have kids? If so, they will go ape crazy bonkers after you buy your boat and they get the thrill, other kids out there ripping it up, wake sports, likely more than you think and all their friends are going to want to come... etc etc.

Not sure of your age, situation, kids, or if you have any injuries limiting what you are able to do...my only point here is most of the folks i see get way more into the wake sports than they initially thought..esp first timers, then have to go to great measures to try to get their boats to perform the way they want... Dont discount the wake sports, and what the different boats can do unless your sure thats not going to be the main interest...

But good luck for the boat hunt and welcome to the site!

:welcome:

The 23 XTi will give you a great starting point. You will be able to add ballast for the wake sports and being a DD it will give you a decient skiing wake, though not pro level at anything it will be a good all around boat. Post up a link for the boat you are looking at. And as someone else stated we are a bunch of kids in adult bodies so expect some childish kidding :tomato: .

and no kids just me my fiancee and friends probably jsut a few at a time like a couple or 2 maybe so 5 or 6 people max on boat. and yeah i dont want anything huge as far as wake goes but i dont want it to be wimpy...but i would like all around ski, wakeboard, knee, wakesurf, tube (mainly for the ladies). and it sounds like a good boat only thing i am worried about is salt water....i am going to call today anything in particular i should ask him? maintenance wise or anything else?

i dont know what you call the bottom pole you can pull with behind the driver seat but can it be moved to the back of the boat? so the rope does not stretch over the table there?

You're on the right track in looking at a direct drive boat if you plan on doing skiing and wake boarding/surfing. Like mentioned before, the ski wake will be fine for recreational skiing, but still allow you to add the ballast you need for getting a pretty decent wake. Great compromise.

Nice looking boat, by the way.

i dont know what you call the bottom pole you can pull with behind the driver seat but can it be moved to the back of the boat? so the rope does not stretch over the table there?

It's a ski pylon. It cannot be moved to the back of the boat, but you can attach your rope to the stern eye instead of

the pylon. If you are slalom skiing, and nobody is sitting in the back seating area (for best slalom wake, you'll want to

have a minimum number of people on board anyway), then you'll probably want to use the pylon. For wakeboarding

and surfing, you'll use the tower to pull. For tubing, you may want to use one of the D-rings on either side of the

transom to attach the rope (there is a lot of stress generated while pulling a tube, especially a multiple person tube,

and the stern eye is not necessarily the best tow point because it's the weakest; next weakest is the tower; and

ski pylon is the strongest tow point; but, those D-rings are super strong, designed, I think, to actually lift the weight

of the boat).

BTW, the ski pylon is designed to raise upwards and lock so the rope, when attached

there, is stretched well over the top of the "table" when in use. But, you still won't

want anyone in the back seating area while pulling from the pylon.

Edited by srab

I happen to know that Smooth Water Sports has a really nice 2003 Sunscape 21 lsv. You can find it on boattrader.com and contact Peter for the details.

This used to be my boat until I traded her in on a new VTX. I hope she goes to a good home. She was great for us.

First of all Welcome to the crew! Next, don't blame the tube on the ladies! LOL Once they get a taste of surfing and boarding they won't want or care about a TUBE! :clap:

and no kids just me my fiancee and friends probably jsut a few at a time like a couple or 2 maybe so 5 or 6 people max on boat. and yeah i dont want anything huge as far as wake goes but i dont want it to be wimpy...but i would like all around ski, wakeboard, knee, wakesurf, tube (mainly for the ladies). and it sounds like a good boat only thing i am worried about is salt water....i am going to call today anything in particular i should ask him? maintenance wise or anything else?

Good looking boat. :thumbup: Can you get a rear filler cushion for the area where the table is? looks like you can get a couple of 500# bags there, then ballance that with some bow weight under the seats. :clap: