Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best adhesive for installing stainless exhaust tips

martinarcher

martinarcher

Need some advice from the crew. I pulled the old exhaust and am installing new Stainless Marine manifolds and 4" exhaust all the way back on the Bu. I pulled the old exhaust tips out of the transom and they came our very easy. I want to make sure what I use to install the Stainless tips adhears better to the hull. I have a tube of 3M 5200 I was planning on using, but read a post online about it not working well for stainless steel. Any truth to this? If so, what should I use to seal the new stainless tips in the boat?

Thanks all!

When I put some on my 06vlx I just removed the old ones and filled the holes with marine underwater silicone, drilled new holes and filled with marine underwater silicone, and screwed the tips in with a big fat bead behind them. Followed up with a nice bead around the flange. Done never had issues.

martinarcher

When I put some on my 06vlx I just removed the old ones and filled the holes with marine underwater silicone, drilled new holes and filled with marine underwater silicone, and screwed the tips in with a big fat bead behind them. Followed up with a nice bead around the flange. Done never had issues.

Yeah, I like the idea of silicone too since if I ever need to take them back off the gel won't some with them. Boat Life's Life Seal looks like it might be the ticket in clear.

I just put mine on tonight. Used some underwater silicone with a fat bead and it looks good. Just hate that feeling when you drill a new hole in the boat and can't remember if you leveled the exhaust tip or not.

martinarcher

I just put mine on tonight. Used some underwater silicone with a fat bead and it looks good. Just hate that feeling when you drill a new hole in the boat and can't remember if you leveled the exhaust tip or not.

I'm hoping to not get that feeling. LOL.gif

Actually I got lucky, the Sunsetter already had 4" holes in the transom. The existing tip necked down to 3" inside the boat. I am so pumped I don't have tp use the 4" holesaw I bought on the boat. Yahoo.gif

I saw that stuff. Have you used it on stainless? Looks like it might save my bacon if I have to pull it apart later on.

I have used it and I just used it again to instal the Shadow-Caster LED underwater lights per their instructions. These are stainless light housings. It's a little pricey so look for the small size tubes if that's all you will need.

Shadow Caster instruction sheet.

I have used it and I just used it again to instal the Shadow-Caster LED underwater lights per their instructions. These are stainless light housings. It's a little pricey so look for the small size tubes if that's all you will need.

Shadow Caster instruction sheet.

Ronnie - newver seen a all vapor blue bu ....looks amazing! :rockon:

martinarcher

Thanks, it's VERY blue. We get more compliments on this boat than we have ever had on any other Malibu. People stop us on the water even. :crazy:

That is awesome. It's certainly hard to miss. I dig it. Thumbup.gif

5200 cured tensile strength=700 psi. 4200 cured tensile strength=300 psi.

:unsure: They're exhaust tips. 300 PSI tensile strength should be plenty strong enough...he's not towing with them. :Doh:

:lol:

martinarcher

:unsure: They're exhaust tips. 300 PSI tensile strength should be plenty strong enough...he's not towing with them. :Doh:

:lol:

I hear ya. I just want to make sure they seal up and keep the water on the outside. Whistling.gif

I bet 4200 isn't anywhere close to 300psi on polished stainless and smooth gel coat. I can believe that with fiberglass to fiberglass bond.

Marine silicone worked great on mine, no leaks for a decade. I would certainly think the 3M products would work very well. I did have to get the saw out for my install. What does Jay Leno say, measure once drill twice!

martinarcher

Marine silicone worked great on mine, no leaks for a decade. I would certainly think the 3M products would work very well. I did have to get the saw out for my install. What does Jay Leno say, measure once drill twice!

Haha....I've heard him say that. I'm a measure 12 times and still drill twice kind of guy. LOL.gif

I was pumped to see the holes in the transom were 4". I wasn't looking forward to using the 4" holesaw on the transom. Cry.gif