Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just another newbie question

So we now have our first V-Drive and want to take it our this weekend. We live around Clear Lake, Texas and for those of you that don't know, that lake is a far cry from "clear". This lake empties into Galveston bay and the water is just nasty. We want to take the boat out and I was wondering what the easiest way is to flush our the engine as well as the duration when we get home. Our last boat was an I/O and that was easy.

A friend told me to modify a toilet plunger, run a garden hose thru it, turn it on and fire up the engine. Is it really that simple or am I missing something?

Always appreciate the input.

Go buy a "Fake-a-Lake" from West Marine. Run for 20 min.

Be sure to wipe down all of your chrome after and rise everything really well once you get home.

Don't forget the trailer too, make sure you rinse out the cross tubes and wash it down good with soap.

jkendallmsce

So we now have our first V-Drive and want to take it our this weekend. We live around Clear Lake, Texas and for those of you that don't know, that lake is a far cry from "clear". This lake empties into Galveston bay and the water is just nasty. We want to take the boat out and I was wondering what the easiest way is to flush our the engine as well as the duration when we get home. Our last boat was an I/O and that was easy.

A friend told me to modify a toilet plunger, run a garden hose thru it, turn it on and fire up the engine. Is it really that simple or am I missing something?

It is that simple. I am sure there are some pics. But a trip to Home Depot or Lowes can get all ya need. Measure the distance from street/garage floor surface to water intake to make sure the plunger handle is long enough. About $10 to make or $30 to buy at most boat shops.

Double check there isn't already a flush pro or something similar already plumbed in to the intake system so you aren't wasting time doing the fake-a-lake unnecessarily... If not then go the fake-a-lake route...