Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What brand plugs

I have a 98 sunsetter and I was wondering whAt brand spark plugs everyone's using ? I pulled one out this evening and it is a ac deco . Is there a better brand that I may news or should I just stick to the AC's?

I have a 98 sunsetter and I was wondering whAt brand spark plugs everyone's using ? I pulled one out this evening and it is a ac deco . Is there a better brand that I may news or should I just stick to the AC's?

I would like the answer to that as well.

I obviously haven't ran them yet, but there is a post on here where 06VLX claims these plugs helped with a misfire issue he had. I have no reason to believe they won't perform well. FYI - The TR5 is the part number I referenced, 2238. I think the only difference between the TR5 and the TR55 is the factory gap setting though. I gapped mine to .045.

My link

Yes NGK. Bakes marine pulls the AC plugs when boats come in for service and replaces them with the NGK plugs, they burn a little hotter and that's good in a boat especially.

I've always had success with NGK pugs. Run them in my outboards as well. I prefer Bosch platinums in my cars/truck though.

martinarcher

Yes NGK. Bakes marine pulls the AC plugs when boats come in for service and replaces them with the NGK plugs, they burn a little hotter and that's good in a boat especially.

Why would you pull brand new AC plugs and put Japanese plugs in an American smallblock? Crazy.gif Wonder if they'll send me all the "old" AC's. Clap.gif

I know hot rod guys that are Corvette nuts and they all swear by AC plugs in the GM small blocks. One of them rebuilds Corvette's and GM engines at a rate of about one a year!

For what it's worth NGK is the only plug brand I've ever used that failed right out of the box. Probably a fluke, but heck....when the old Champion runs better in the mower than the new NGK. Whistling.gif

For what it's worth NGK is the only plug brand I've ever used that failed right out of the box.

The only plugs that I've ever had issues with the ceramic jacket cracking during installation were AC's. And it happened more than once. I absolutely won't use them ever again. :no:

Last fall before winterizing I was looking at changing the plugs, and it looked like there might be some interference with the exhaust. Do you guy's use a swivel joint (420 friendly day) to remove and replace them?

Steve B.

I have used NGK every chance I get on customer cars. Sometimes theyll be out of stock and then I buy Autolites or ACs........never had an issue with any of these.

Best plugs I have ever used are Autolites. Then I go with NGK.

We had a Champion sponsor on the drag car. Would change them every other run for the most part. We spent hours indexing plugs so thy were ready to go on race day.

martinarcher

The only plugs that I've ever had issues with the ceramic jacket cracking during installation were AC's. And it happened more than once. I absolutely won't use them ever again. :no:

LOL.gif Figures.

I don't think any plug manufacturer gets it right 100% of the time. I just can't see spending more for something that's not going to get me any more power/performance/etc.

Well this topic is right at my 300 hr mark so I got the NKG TR5 and gap at .045 Is that ok for the 07 383 HH?

Also what is the torque on the box for aulm heads it has a gasket of taper # which do we have?

Also the AC 41-932 ones that came out had a gap of .060 and the center was pencil sharp not a cylinder like the new plug is that because the gape was so large?

Ok I dont want to hijack but how do you get the # 2 plug out?

On the HH the alum header has the water inlet right at the plug. I cannot get a socket on it. It there a special tool, like an box end with an offset?

I just can't see spending more for something that's not going to get me any more power/performance/etc.

:unsure: Why do you guys keep saying that NGK's are "more $$$"? AC MR43LTS, NGK TR-5, and the Autolites (can't remember the #) are all right around $3.00. And you can claim there's no performance difference but my Butt-Dyno™ says differently. :lol:

Well I found this snap on part #S9724RHS that looks like its what I need. And for the price ($29.00) I better start racking up the Hrs to do more plug changes.

martinarcher

:unsure: Why do you guys keep saying that NGK's are "more ${:content:}quot;? AC MR43LTS, NGK TR-5, and the Autolites (can't remember the #) are all right around $3.00. And you can claim there's no performance difference but my Butt-Dyno™ says differently. :lol:

Haha...your butt dyno needs calibrated.