Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

15-40 independent oil test

SBR

So after buying our new boat and doing a search as to what oil to run, I realized that most people are just running "non marine" 15-40. I found it interesting that alot of people are running the Rotella brand and that Discount Inboard Marine(who I deal with) also recomends it also. From what I have read and from what the guy at DIM told me, it is because we want an oil that has a high Zinc content for the roller camshaft. Here is something interesting that I found. I used to run the Rotella 15-40, but switched to the Valvoline Prmium Blue 15-40 oil in my Super Duty 7.3 and this is why. A buddy of mine found an independent 15-40 oil test and the Rotella was rated one of the worst oils. It is an older test(I think 07), but still valid, i think as a comparison. it is fairly high in zinc, but faired very low everywhere else in the test. I figured I would post this up for everyone else that is runnig 15-40 for there futre decisions. In Rotella's defense, we ran Rotella in two of our company vehicles for over 8 yrs with zero problems.......but I am still going to run the Valvoline Premium Blue in my Bu! I can't figue out how to post a copy of the test, so here is the link....http://www.turbodieselregister.com/TDR57_Oil.pdf

Edited by SBR

Chevron Delo 400 was one of the best 15w40 oils out there in all the test I saw, and was the best dino oil out of the bunch.

Delo is what I always ran in my Super Duty. Many on the Ford forums swear by it as well.

I just used Rotella for my oil change. The below is directly from Indmar's website and the Rotella meets SJ/CJ4 standards.

2.4 What type of oil should I use? Can I use synthetic oil?

Indmar recommends (and uses at our factory) Pennzoil Marine 15W40 Motor Oil. If Pennzoil 15W40 Marine Oil is not available in your area, we suggest using 20W40 or 20W50 oil meeting the API specification of SJ/CG4 or better.

Synthetic oil that meets our requirement of 15W40and API rating of SJ/CJ4 is acceptable to use after 100 hours or operation with the recommended (not synthetic) oil. The use of synthetic oil does not alter the requirement for oil changes at 50-hour intervals.

Older operator manuals, and other publications that are not regularly updated will not be revised to show this latest engine oil recommendation. Current operator manuals, and other service publications that receive regular updates will receive this revised recommendation the next time they are updated.

Chevron Delo 400 was one of the best 15w40 oils out there in all the test I saw, and was the best dino oil out of the bunch.

i agree, just got to make sure it is the Delo 400 and not the Delo 400LE......they are completely diff. from what I have been told. My local parts store(Kragen) carries the Valvoline and it goes on sale just about every other month for $12 a gallon. I haven't found any local parts stores that carry the Delo 400, only the 400LE.

Edited by SBR

I agree, I used this in a few of my old Hot rods, The old delo 400 had alot of Zinc, and was recommended for older engines with Flat tappet camshafts, I heard the New LE does not have as much zinc as the older Delo 400, No big deal for newer Engines being most have roller cams, But if you have and older motor, and You use the newer LE oils without all that Zinc, Could have Camshaft failure, Unfortunately most people have not heard of this...

I had planned on using the Royal Purple 15w40. Everything I have read put it in the Amsoil, Mobile syn extended categories or better?

I just loaded 15w40 Royal Purple into the Am. Skier. I used it based on a recommendation from a Nautique R&D guy. My dad's a life-long boat guy and he was pretty firmly in the syns have little benefit camp. I am not sure if its a placebo effect, but I swear that thing starts and runs smoother than with the Dino oil that came out. When we fired it up, my dad was like "wow that thing is purring."

I must have read a couple hundred threads on oil--man there is a lot of conflicting and heated opinions. The basic areas of agreement are: (1) change your oil on time; (2) use a good filter; and (3) syns may have a benefit but the extent of that benefit is debatable. For me, its only a few extra bucks once a year in my boat and I am sticking with the Royal Purple until I find a good reason not to.

Edited by jjackkrash

Thats all i used on my last boat and yes I observed the same.

They have a pretty convincing video on their website where they did a completely controlled test on an outboard using RP vs regular oil...tests showing something like 30% increased power and fuel efficiency at the mid level RPMs... undisputable data on regular vs syn...

But, the question is, is that because its RP, or would you get about the same results using a high end Mobile or amsoil syns?

But yes I agree, under normal conditions I would say yes that syn vs regular oil is about the same for wear and tear and longevity---its in the extreme situations where the syn has those benefits...if you were in an overheat situation, as you hear about on here weekely with folks, the motor oil is the only thing protecting the engine, and syn def lasts longer under those types of extremes...

I know this isn't scientific, but I know for a fact (from racing a crashing motorcycles on the track) the synthetic oil is a lot slicker than dino oil. Compared to dino, hot synthetic oil can be a b**** to clean up off of asphalt.

I ran Premium Blue in my Cummins, and everything I have ever read suggests the same. That is the factory fill. Note that newer synthetic Rotella (T6) was rated best as well. That is what I run in my 6.oh no since Valvoline does not make a 5w40 Premium Blue.

However in the Hammerhead, I run 50 wt racing oil.

I ran Premium Blue in my Cummins, and everything I have ever read suggests the same. That is the factory fill. Note that newer synthetic Rotella (T6) was rated best as well. That is what I run in my 6.oh no since Valvoline does not make a 5w40 Premium Blue.

However in the Hammerhead, I run 50 wt racing oil.

valvoline does make a 5-40 syn its called premium blue extreme.

i agree, just got to make sure it is the Delo 400 and not the Delo 400LE......they are completely diff. from what I have been told. My local parts store(Kragen) carries the Valvoline and it goes on sale just about every other month for $12 a gallon. I haven't found any local parts stores that carry the Delo 400, only the 400LE.

So,

This AM I returned my 3 gals. of Rotella T to Kmart.

Between yesterday and today I went to 2 Kragens, 2 Winchester Autos, 1 Kmart, 1 Napa, 1 local yokal, and a Chevron gas station and cannot find Delo that is not LE. The only Delo that's not LE is SAE 30.

I guess I'm gonna hit West Marine for Penzoil Marine 15W-40 that I've been using this whole time.

So,

Between yesterday and today I went to 2 Kragens, 2 Winchester Autos, 1 Kmart, 1 Napa, 1 local yokal, and a Chevron gas station and cannot find Delo that is not LE. The only Delo that's not LE is SAE 30.

I guess I'm gonna hit West Marine for Penzoil Marine 15W-40 that I've been using this whole time.

West marine says they have Delo 400 (not LE) check when you're there.

BTW LE isn't bad oil either.

So,

I buy my Delo 400 40w at the Napa store in Brentwood, CA which is kinda far for you to drive, but a quick search online and you may find it at a store around here:

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx

-Dave

So,

I ran the Delo 400 15-40 once in my Super Duty and the only place that I could find it was at Southern County Fuels in Orange, ca. They only sold it in 5 gallon buckets too.

Edited by SBR

I'm not sure why there is some level of aversion to the LE... It's just designed to meet low emission requirements.

I found this document that addresses the LE specifics.

The only thing I heard about the LE is it's not recommended for older engines with Flat tappet Camshafts, Newer engines are mostly roller Cams witch is fine..
  • 3 weeks later...

Update on Delo 400 for the NW guys. I was at Fisheries Supply in Seattle the other day and they carry Cheveron Delo 400 NON-LE in the gallon jugs there. I think West Marine does as well.