Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can you Surf a DD

canski27

I'm still looking for a boat and while a VTX seems to be the best bet the fact that we ski more than anything else keeps me thinking about a direct drive - likely an RLXI or a Ski Nautique. BUT we are interested in surfing so I'm wondering if the 'Crew can give me some insight. Is it possible to surf behind a world class DD ski boat? How many ballast bags would I need? Is it even possible?

Thanks 'Crew.

Heck yah you can! I have a '01 SSlxi that we surf all the time. 400lbs center locker, 500lbs in the back, 3 adults in the surf corner, wedge down. It's definitely more challenging than surfing behind a V-Drive, but you'll read all sorts of threads about people that can not surf behind their V-Drive's with 2000lbs of ballast. I think the best question to ask is: am I a good enough surfer to surf behind a DD? We can't help you with that one.

Good luck on your purchase!

I had a 01 Response LX with 400lbs in the rear trunk, 2x 150lbs bags to surf side, wedge down and 3 guys on the boat and we had some of the best surf wake ever. Ski boats are actually easier to sink so they create a nice surf wake with the weight.

Edited by freddielam

I'm still looking for a boat and while a VTX seems to be the best bet the fact that we ski more than anything else keeps me thinking about a direct drive - likely an RLXI or a Ski Nautique. BUT we are interested in surfing so I'm wondering if the 'Crew can give me some insight. Is it possible to surf behind a world class DD ski boat? How many ballast bags would I need? Is it even possible?

Thanks 'Crew.

The VTX is a great choice, you wont be disappointed. I would go as far to say the VTX (diamond hull) for skiing is better then my 89 Sunsetter DD and obviously no comparision on the surf wake. I find the VTX ski wake is that much better if you run 25-50% front ballast to bring the nose down. Good luck on the search.

Edited by old skool malibu

NO. You cannot surf a DD, nor can you ski behind a V-Drive. If you wish to ski and surf you must buy two seperate boats.

have to disagree.....i would agree that a DD is designed for skiing and a Vdrive is for boarding and surfing however u can get a DD to surf. I don't think it is as good bit it works.... I have a buddy with a DD and we surf behind it. I like my wake way better but I can still surf behind his.....

and u can ski behind my boat......not nearly as flat as a DD but u can ski, again have buddies that do it all the time behind mine

have to disagree.....i would agree that a DD is designed for skiing and a Vdrive is for boarding and surfing however u can get a DD to surf. I don't think it is as good bit it works.... I have a buddy with a DD and we surf behind it. I like my wake way better but I can still surf behind his.....

and u can ski behind my boat......not nearly as flat as a DD but u can ski, again have buddies that do it all the time behind mine

I think mrComtnbu was being a smart a**... :tease2::Tease3::Doh:

I think mrComtnbu was being a smart a**... :tease2::Tease3::Doh:

heh...

and if you wanna barefoot you need a barefoot boat...

and if you tube, you need a tuber boat...

and if you like to float, you need whatever floats your boat...

shesh...

%$%$#@#$%%....I will just head back to my cave.............

usually I can see these things but for some reason I read that and thought he was serious....

ok now back to the cave

Thanks everyone. Great information and advice. Some good comedic efforts as well.

Given our penchant for skiing and the fact that most of the hours we put on are on calm and uncrowded water I am leaning back towards a direct drive. I just hope it gives us enough gunwale height to keep our soon to be 4 and 6 year olds from diving over the sides.

I realize this is a biased group (myself included) but Response LXI or Correct Craft Ski Nautique 200?

Thanks everyone. Great information and advice. Some good comedic efforts as well.

Given our penchant for skiing and the fact that most of the hours we put on are on calm and uncrowded water I am leaning back towards a direct drive. I just hope it gives us enough gunwale height to keep our soon to be 4 and 6 year olds from diving over the sides.

I realize this is a biased group (myself included) but Response LXI or Correct Craft Ski Nautique 200?

ahhh get a Mastercraft..............

just a little more good comic effort Crazy.gifCrazy.gif

With enough weight you can surf pretty much behind anything. As long as you have room for the weight.

Thats what I thought too - but my neighbor has an MB Tomcat and we've put almost 4000 lbs in it and it still won't make a decent surfable wave

I know I already said this above, but If you're worried about gunwale then I reiterate my strong recommendation for the '00 - '04 Sunsetter LXI. I am biased of course because that is what I own and it is AWESOME, but you get a much larger boat with a higher gunwale and make NO, ZIP, ZERO sacrafice in slalom wake quality!

Edited by msuwaterski

Absolutely! We can pretty easily surf behind my dad's 2002 Response LX with wedge down, 500# sack on surf side, and 3 adults sitting on the sack. Not nearly as good a weighted down V-drive, but we still have a world-class slalom boat! We did have to move the fuel vent further forward. The water level on the surf side ends up going about to the rub rail on that corner. Just be careful and it's pretty easy to pull off and have a great time.

Edited by ecadwell

Heck yah you can! I have a '01 SSlxi that we surf all the time. 400lbs center locker, 500lbs in the back, 3 adults in the surf corner, wedge down. It's definitely more challenging than surfing behind a V-Drive, but you'll read all sorts of threads about people that can not surf behind their V-Drive's with 2000lbs of ballast. I think the best question to ask is: am I a good enough surfer to surf behind a DD? We can't help you with that one.

Good luck on your purchase!

Which sacs do you use in the locker and back? I tried to surf behind my SLXI once with just the wedge and my locker sack in the back corner and it wasn't enough...

Pretty sure you can surf a DD.

This was about 350 lbs on surf side of engine, wedge, locker sack & 150 up front surf side with 4 people in the boat.

DSC_0095.JPG

Most certainly. I have a '99 Sunsetter LXi. We ski and barefoot in the morning, then when the lake gets crowded, we throw a 750lb. FatSac on the floor behind the engine and put one or two people on the swim platform, near the side. No wedge, usually 4-6 people in the boat, half of them are kids. We get surfable waves at least as big as the nice photo above and it is easy to surf without the rope. We ride a 5'5" Hyperlite at about 9MPH. Turning a big arc toward the surf side helps a bit too.

Does it throw the wake of my buddies VLX? No, but we are very happy with it and have a word-class slalom wake too.