Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G3 Bimini Alternative Mounting

bennekm

Anyone know of a company that makes a better mounting system for the OEM G3 bimini....more like the Illusion bimini mount or the Bake's aftermarket G3 mount? I'm not going another season bumping my head on it...plus the boot fills up with water.

Anyone know of a company that makes a better mounting system for the OEM G3 bimini....more like the Illusion bimini mount or the Bake's aftermarket G3 mount? I'm not going another season bumping my head on it...plus the boot fills up with water.

Have you checked out the bimini Bakes came out with, little shorter but seem to be less of a storage issue.

Do you have some pics of how your bimini is stowed? I was out all day today and had it in the "storage boot" and never had a problem with it. I am 6' 1" and it never came close to touching my head. The boot does have a couple of hinged straps that attach to the tower to avoid it from falling down. I see you have a 2010, not sure if they made any changes in 2011?

2010 bimini stores straight back. I didn't like it and was bummed to get the boat without one. I liked how the 2011 stores forward on the tower and ordered one at the boat show. The dealer thought malibu is offering a kit to make the '10 bimini store forward as well.

Do you have some pics of how your bimini is stowed? I was out all day today and had it in the "storage boot" and never had a problem with it. I am 6' 1" and it never came close to touching my head. The boot does have a couple of hinged straps that attach to the tower to avoid it from falling down. I see you have a 2010, not sure if they made any changes in 2011?

If you actually look at my profile pic, you can see the bimini stored right in the middle of the tower...about 2 feet back!

Edited by bennekm

Have you checked out the bimini Bakes came out with, little shorter but seem to be less of a storage issue.

Looks like a good alternative, but I already have the bimini. Just need to store it out of the way.

Mine is the same hieght when stowed as it is open and we have the same model / year. It is hard to tell from my profile picture but it is only a couple inches lower than where the rope attaches. I am guessing that the dealer just ordered this from the factory vs. somewhere else but maybe not.

I would still like to be able to stow it forward vs. hanging back.

Kris

I just bought a 2010 and mine stows forward. I wonder if the dealer changed something to make it do that or it was a production change.

post-15485-043972100 1303309047_thumb.jp

Edited by JTech

That is the newer Bimini. Saw it at the boat show. They basically put a hinge in the main tubing. It looks like that would also make it easier to put up and take down. I always have mine up except when towing so it's not a huge deal but I would prefer that new setup.

My dealer just e-mailed and said they put the 2011 bimini on right before I bought it. I guess I lucked out on that one! Hopefully you can get the parts from Bakes and make it work...

-J

All....A 2011 retro-fit kit is now available. My dealer just ordered it for me. Now the terrible news...you almost buy a new bimini for how much it costs...$321 with shipping and tax.

Mine is the same hieght when stowed as it is open and we have the same model / year. It is hard to tell from my profile picture but it is only a couple inches lower than where the rope attaches. I am guessing that the dealer just ordered this from the factory vs. somewhere else but maybe not.

I would still like to be able to stow it forward vs. hanging back.

Kris

Mine is not much higher than the board racks...really stupid. Glad they fixed it in 2011...but too bad for all of us that now have to pay over $300 to fix a bad design. I guess if that's the worst thing I have to deal with...I can live with it.